Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotspot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a wifi dash cam that can upload video to the internet via a hotspot. Can you connect other devices to the Tesla's LTE internet?

I would not be using my phone as the hotspot, as the whole idea is to use my phone to view the video from the car while I am away from the car.

I have a wifi dash cam that can upload video to the internet via a hotspot. Can you connect other devices to the Tesla's LTE internet?

I would not be using my phone as the hotspot, as the whole idea is to use my phone to view the video from the car while I am away from the car.

I connect a tmobile wifi hotspot router to the usb port because T-mobile LTE is more reliable where I live. The car connects to that while "awake", so that might be an option for you. You would need to use it in conjunction with "Visible Tesla" app to keep the car awake on a schedule that fits your needs.

Hotspot was one of the features originally promised for the Model S. It made sense that the feature was withdrawn when the Model S only had 3G service.

With the upgrade to LTE, there is enough bandwidth that a hotspot would be useful. Assuming the hardware is capable of supporting a hotspot (changing the WiFi from client to access point mode), the restriction would likely be in the agreement Tesla has with AT&T for providing LTE service to the Model S - no hotspots - and Tesla is currently not charging owners for the 3G or LTE service.

If there was a charge for upgrading to hotspot service, it's likely Tesla would find some owners interested in paying that fee - to gain back the hotspot functionality that was originally promised on the Model S.

Though Tesla also hasn't delivered on other promises that were made for the Model S - such as the App Store or providing annual map updates...

I was hoping this would be an option. I'll be traveling through Canada shortly after receiving my Model S & I was hoping to be able to avoid buying an AT&T Canada data plan for my phone by using the car's data connection for everything & being able to connect my iPad to the car's LTE connection. I guess that won't work :(