Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houses required to have electrical charging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This information appeared in the MIT Technology Review dated 10-12-2016.

The future of the motor car may be electric, but ensuring that’s the case will still require tough policy decisions. A new report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance and McKinsey & Company reaffirms what MIT Technology Review has said in the past: by 2030, electric vehicles will be a dominant mode of transport. But while a cursory look around the Paris Motor Show and recent proclamations by BMW may suggest that such a future is inevitable, the new report warns that governments "may want to anticipate these new mobility models by crafting regulations consistent with consumer-friendly technological developments." Europe is already setting a strong example. A new draft EU directive, expected to be enacted 2019, will demand that every new or refurbished house in Europe will have to have an electric vehicle charging point. And Germany’s federal council, the Bundesrat, has passed a resolution to ban the internal combustion engine by 2030. Other countries and cities will have to follow suit.

This information appeared in the MIT Technology Review dated 10-12-2016.

The future of the motor car may be electric, but ensuring that’s the case will still require tough policy decisions. A new report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance and McKinsey & Company reaffirms what MIT Technology Review has said in the past: by 2030, electric vehicles will be a dominant mode of transport. But while a cursory look around the Paris Motor Show and recent proclamations by BMW may suggest that such a future is inevitable, the new report warns that governments "may want to anticipate these new mobility models by crafting regulations consistent with consumer-friendly technological developments." Europe is already setting a strong example. A new draft EU directive, expected to be enacted 2019, will demand that every new or refurbished house in Europe will have to have an electric vehicle charging point. And Germany’s federal council, the Bundesrat, has passed a resolution to ban the internal combustion engine by 2030. Other countries and cities will have to follow suit.

I can't see that happening here in the states anytime soon. I also don't want/need the government telling me what I can and cannot have EV wise. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea for a house to have the ABILITY to support adding EV charge points (elec panel capacity), just not making the installation mandatory. At least not yet. Ban ICE by 2030? Now that would be optimistic here. ;)

Mandating having the power available makes sense, but that's just ensuring there is a large enough panel. I could even see having a 50 amp 220 volt circuit stubbed in the garage or by the driveway, however, the technology for charging will change rapidly in the next ten years. Utility companies will need to have some input to the chargers for load balancing. I had remote shutoffs on my heatpumps in Las Vegas 20 years ago. They were never off for more than 15 minutes a day, but that made a huge difference to the grid.

Figures. The EU loves regulations and forced compliance by these written laws. Uggg.

Sure it makes sense to have more charging ports in houses and someday I'm sure most houses will be built with them, just like today where most new houses have some USB wall outlets and smart home wiring. I remember when garage door openers were a luxury and having one was a big deal. Now, most home come with garage door openers.

Tech will evolve and grow.

Awesome stuff, but let's not make it mandatory via laws.

It makes sense for big cities to ban ICE vehicles and human drivers as soon as feasible. I suspect that L5 vehicles will be almost exclusively electric anyway so they'll tend to go together. There will be more dramatic benefits from banning human drivers because traffic rules could be rewritten and the system could improve a lot. No more traffic lights, traffic just flows through intersections at full speed. Higher speed limits. No traffic jams.