TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Houston Area - Electrician NEMA 14-50 Install

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Mod3l 3, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Mod3l 3

Mod3l 3 Member

Any recommendations on good reasonably priced electricians in the Houston area? I’ve got a couple of outrageous quotes. One was for $785 and the other was for $963. Both were for an install right below the breaker box. Afraid to even ask what it will cost for my preferred location (30’ run).

Thinking about installing the conduit and pulling the cable myself and just having them do the final connections.

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Call Chams Electric, the master electrician's name is Cheik. He's very familiar with Tesla charging installations. He will do everything correctly, including load calculations, permit, and scheduling inspection.

Chams Electric

3. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

@Mod3l 3 if you try him, let me know you results. I need to install the same in the next 30 days or so.

4. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

3ft below your panel should realistically only cost $200. $80 parts and permit, and 1$20 for less than an hour of work. If you need a new breaker then add that cost. $20 more. If you tell them you will pull your own permit you can probably save since they dont have to sit around waiting for inspection and wont have to drive down to your county to get it.

5. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

I'm not in the Houston area, but my install was $279, which was also about a foot below the breaker (I still think that was outrageous for 15 mins of work). Do you have an open slot for the NEMA 14-50, or are there modifications that have to be done to your electrical panel? Post a pic of the open panel if you can.

6. Mod3l 3

Mod3l 3 Member

I do not have an open slot for the NEMA. I plan on having them swap 4 breakers (20A ea) out for the 2 combination type to create the space. Main breaker is a 150 and this should be good as the only other heavy draw will be the AC. Will try and grab a pic later.

Agree that the pricing is outrageous. I could do this myself but want a certified electrician to take care of it due to the long durations of high loads. Also need a permit. At this point I will take anything below $500. I’ve decided to run the cable myself and just have them connect the ends as well as install the breakers.

7. Mod3l 3

Mod3l 3 Member

Put in a RFP today and will let you know once I find out more.

8. Mod3l 3

Mod3l 3 Member

Completely agree. Think the first 2 were just trying to pull a fast one. I also find it ridiculous that a lot of electricians in Houston try and charge $85 just to quote (goes towards final price if you pick them). This is with me providing the bill of materials and offering to send pictures. Guess with all the rebuilding from the hurricane still going on these guys aren’t short on work.

9. Mod3l 3

Mod3l 3 Member

So I got pricing today. $300 for right below the breaker box. $650 for the center of the back wall (so both spots will have access). Kicker is if I want a permit it will be another $300 bring the prices up to $600 for below the box and $950 for the back wall.

I’m going to be shopping around some more but based on what he’s saying the ramp is causing a lot of people to get a move on and they’re booked up.

10. kelvinpt

kelvinpt Member

I need one like 1 feel to the left of my breaker. i don't think 300 is too bad?

11. Mod3l 3

Mod3l 3 Member

So I ended up using him. Not disappointed. Easy to work with over the phone, punctual, knows what he’s talking about/doing and best of all honest. Highly recommend using him as he has has performed a lot of Tesla installations. Also pricing included taxes and also a nice little hanger for the cable.

Also I got 5 quotes before picking and pricing for all the others were around $1100 for the 30’ run and weirdly $800 for below the breaker so he was cheaper and as mentioned earlier I didn’t get the sketchy vibe off him.

12. Thev

Thev New Member

I have been lurking this forum for quite some time and learned a lot. I got my Model 3 (LR AWD) two weeks ago and had to hire someone for the Nema 14-50 outlet installation in my garage. As some people have recommended here, I hired Cheik from Chams Electric, and he did the installation today. I only had one outlet installed next to the panel and he finished it within 45 minutes. He seems to be doing a lot of installs for Tesla owners here and seems very knowledgeable, easy to work with and punctual. I thought I would share my experience here so if anyone looking for one they could look him up. I would definitely recommend him!

13. ejschoen

ejschoen New Member

I can also recommend Cheikh. He rearranged our panel to make room for a 2-pole breaker, and installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet with about 50' of conduit to run from the right front to left rear of our garage, in about 3 hours. The work is clean, and he is very knowledgeable about what Tesla and Tesla chargers can and can't make use of. He easily convinced me that for my needs, the 14-50 outlet was enough.

• Like x 1
  14. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

We're in the wrong business.

Fortunately, the government (i.e. taxpayers) paid for a 40 amp outlet when I got my Volt is 2011. That's all I need for my Model 3 to always be charged up.

15. TxBound

TxBound Member

I used Cheik today for a Nema 14-10 outlet. He was great. Very upfront about pricing and did a great job!

• Like x 2