Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the flight might help identify the lcoation as the lcoation is likely to be within a 20 - 30 mile block near the midpoint (Centerville). This would put the roundtrip near 250 miles. Venturing on and off 45 at various on/off ramps for several miles each could make the trip difficult without charging. Not sure its such a haystack - on/off ramps are easy to identify, construction is likely to be within a mile or so of the ramp and likely on the same road as the ramp leads from.

I can go either way :)

Bob

Seems like a needle in haystack sort of problem, Stephen.

p.s. if it were me I'd get to the show at 5:30am to block Tesla spots, but only if was sure they would come. grrrr.

It's definitely my car. Looking at the news video it mentions floor 7, northwest side and that's where my car was parked. I'm nearly 2000 miles away from it. Not sure what to do now. Crap!

- - - Updated - - -

Remote access still works. I vented the roof and closed. 177 miles rated. Spoke to roadside assistance and they said the car seems OK from their end. Maybe it just got superficial damage, (paint, etc.). Guess I'll find out when I fly in on Friday. How unlucky is this!

You might call IAH parking - 281.233.1355. All KHOU showed on air was a short clip that had the Tesla T and a portion of the nose cone of your car in the lower left corner of the picture. It looked as though the black plastic either bubbled from the heat or had debris blown onto it from the fire. BUT it was very hard to tell as it was only a small part of the picture and was just a brief glimpse

It's definitely my car. Looking at the news video it mentions floor 7, northwest side and that's where my car was parked. I'm nearly 2000 miles away from it. Not sure what to do now. Crap!

- - - Updated - - -

Remote access still works. I vented the roof and closed. 177 miles rated. Spoke to roadside assistance and they said the car seems OK from their end. Maybe it just got superficial damage, (paint, etc.). Guess I'll find out when I fly in on Friday. How unlucky is this!
Wow. The police really should notify next of kin before letting the TV crews publish videos of injured loved ones. I think this is a TMC first...

I hope your baby is ok.

Poor Sparky, but I'm glad that even being around 6 feet from the burning car for about an hour, the Model S held up to the extreme heat. The battery didn't explode and it is totally drivable. Kudos to Tesla!

2013-06-12 19.29.53.jpg
2013-06-12 19.31.21.jpg
2013-06-12 19.31.43.jpg

@Cyberwelly
When you (presumably) replace it, I would ask Tesla to keep the old one as a garage ornament. It definitely has a unique look about it.

Also I like the symbolism that the T emblem did not melt.

From the photos, it almost looks like the painted areas could wash off and all you would need is a new front bulb. What is the insurance situation like in this case? It seems like the insurance for the car that burned should pay for yours. The burned SUV apparently belonged to an airport employee, so they should be easy to track down.