Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The poker run was fun! I drove with my kid and we managed to draw a pair of 3's for our first two cards. Sadly, our next three cards were no help so no prize for us. Still, it was a pleasant time driving and meeting fellow e-car owners. I especially enjoyed meeting Stephen who is a pleasant and knowledgable fellow. He and the NRG reps introduced me to the EVgo charging system which I definitely need to sign up for as a backup option.

I also got to see the Nissan Leaf for the first time. They're really nice! Wouldn't trade my Model S for one, though. ;)

Stenn, great you meet you and your daughter as well! I thought my pair of 6s might at least get one of the prizes, but I think there was some funny business going on helping the Leaf owners. :)

tmc.jpg

After owning and driving a Leaf for 3 years I found nothing about a 65 mile range "nice"!
got my 85D in April and I'm in heaven!
I'm sure it all depends on your driving habits. My wife would probably be just fine in a Leaf, or even my daughter when she starts to drive. I wouldn't get the Mitsubishi e-car having now seen one in person. That thing's tiny and quite unattractive.

Stenn, great you meet you and your daughter as well! I thought my pair of 6s might at least get one of the prizes, but I think there was some funny business going on helping the Leaf owners. :)
I felt bad for the Leaf owners knowing their limited range and tried not to park near the charging stations so they could plug in. It was also a bit awkward talking to the EVgo folks knowing that I would almost never need their product due to the long range of the Model S and the SuperCharger network. I can easily see the EVgo folks influencing the game to favor short-range e-cars knowing they're their main customers. It's OK, though. I already won big-time when I bought my Tesla. :tongue:

The National Drive Electric Week event at IKEA in Houston was a rousing success! I had my 85D and my kid with me. Others also brought their Teslas including a Roadster which I got to sit in. I must say, it's hard not to giggle with delight when sitting in a Roadster. It's an exceptionally cool car. We got to take a ride in a P85D to experience the full force of Insanity Mode which caused more giggles and hoots. There was an electric motorcycle, which was pretty neat, and I got to see the Cadillac that is electric but includes a small gasoline generator to charge the battery. And, of course, there were enough Leafs to make a tree.

The public was very curious and fairly consistent in attendance. I thought I'd only stay an hour or so but ended up staying four hours because I was constantly talking to folks and looking at vehicles. I had no trouble letting people sit in my car and fiddle with the big screen. I showed off the mobile connector and its various adapters as well as the spacious interior of the car. Everyone was very polite and complimentary. The other Tesla owners were great and I learned some new things about my car from them. All around, it was a morning well-spent.

The National Drive Electric Week event at IKEA in Houston was a rousing success!

Thanks for being part of the event! I brought my folks along so they could see my next car - turns out they'd seen a Tesla on the road before, they'd thought it was slick looking but didn't know what it was. We had a lot of fun checking out the other cars as well, though we missed the electric motorcycle - did they leave early/arrive late or did we just overlook it?

The National Drive Electric Week event at IKEA in Houston was a rousing success! I had my 85D and my kid with me. Others also brought their Teslas including a Roadster which I got to sit in. I must say, it's hard not to giggle with delight when sitting in a Roadster. It's an exceptionally cool car. We got to take a ride in a P85D to experience the full force of Insanity Mode which caused more giggles and hoots. There was an electric motorcycle, which was pretty neat, and I got to see the Cadillac that is electric but includes a small gasoline generator to charge the battery. And, of course, there were enough Leafs to make a tree.

The public was very curious and fairly consistent in attendance. I thought I'd only stay an hour or so but ended up staying four hours because I was constantly talking to folks and looking at vehicles. I had no trouble letting people sit in my car and fiddle with the big screen. I showed off the mobile connector and its various adapters as well as the spacious interior of the car. Everyone was very polite and complimentary. The other Tesla owners were great and I learned some new things about my car from them. All around, it was a morning well-spent.
Completely agree! Time well spent. The Nissan guys were there giving test drives in LEAFs. It's a shame Tesla is not allowed to do that. We provided about 7 Teslas to Represent.
Talked at length with the event organizer Kevin Douglass about the best way to overcome the foolish prohibition on direct sales in Texas. (another thread for that of course)
It was my pleasure to give four demo rides in my P85D with at least two launches per ride. Stenn&offspring were the first. The giddy reactions never get old! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for being part of the event! I brought my folks along so they could see my next car - turns out they'd seen a Tesla on the road before, they'd thought it was slick looking but didn't know what it was. We had a lot of fun checking out the other cars as well, though we missed the electric motorcycle - did they leave early/arrive late or did we just overlook it?
The motorcycle was there early and left around 10ish I think. It was a Zero Electric Motorcycle Videos and Photos || ZERO MOTORCYCLES .

Short notice, but the Sierra Club is looking for a few Tesla vehicles at their meeting tomorrow at the Arboretum. Unfortunately I can't go, but if you are interested, details are:

Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Time: 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Presented by: Houston Group
Leader: Lorraine Gibson - 281-384-4104 [email protected] Art Browning - 281-890-7089 [email protected]
Location: Houston Arboretum & Nature Center, 4501 Woodway Drive, Houston, TX 77024, USA

Gather with like-minded folks, enjoy good company, great appetizers and desserts. See displays of local conservation efforts and service projects. The Houston Electric Auto Association will have some electric vehicles on display to mark Electric Vehicle Week. Our special guest will be Dr. Larry McKinney, the Executive Director of the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Dr. Mckinney will share updates on the status of the Gulf Coast restoration efforts five years after the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster and what he sees ahead. He has worked on water issues as diverse as restoration of the Aral Sea in Central Asia and Gulf hypoxia driven by Mississippi River outflow. Your donation will benefit both the Lone Star Chapter and the Houston Regional Group.

Short notice, but the Sierra Club is looking for a few Tesla vehicles at their meeting tomorrow at the Arboretum. Unfortunately I can't go, but if you are interested, details are:

Electric Vehicle Week makes me :)

I will try to bring Pearlie May to help mark Natl Drive Electric Week!
(I'll also be trying for a parking space next to a VW TDI "Klean Diesel")

Rick

Last edited:
I've been looking for a good window tinting situation for my nifty new car. Here's what I have decided upon:

Photosync (called Solar Adaptive Transition Film on the quote)
75% on windshield and sun roof.
35% on side and rear
Installed by EVS Motors on Bellaire Blvd.

I like Photosynch for its heat rejection qualities. The way I see it, Less Heat = Less AC = More Range. Also, I'd enjoy arriving at my distant Texas destinations without a sunburn.

I like EVS Motors because they're the only guys in town who install Photosync. Also, I visited their shop. They were very friendly and professional. The shop was clean and fully enclosed. Vehicles present were Hummer, Porsche, BMW, and Lexus. They claim to have done Teslas and were aware of the unique curvature of the windshield.

Warranty is lifetime against material defects, bubbling, purpling and cracking.

Quoted cost is $1,349 which seems kinda high. However, like my car, I'm far more concerned about quality than price.

So, am I making a mistake or should I dive in?