Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some help in configuring my Model S wheels. I'm torn between the classic looks of the sliver 21" vs the sporty look of the grey 21". I'm getting the 85Kwh non-performance model S in white. Also is anyone getting the P85 and not wanting the 21" upgrade option? i'm willing to trade my 19's and some cash for the 21's. I'm new to this forum posting.. please let me know if i'm posting in the wrong place. Thanks.

Got mine this morning! The guys at the inspection were just as excited about it! Unfortunately did not get the NEMA 14-30 adaptor that I was promised would be included....guess I'll be doing the 110 charging for a while. Also not floor mats, and it was a bit muddy out there today. Yikes.
Scheduling delivery was interesting. I think I am luck that I was the first one of the day. He suggested we meet at Hope Depot or Lowes! Eventually he was able to park the HUGE truck in front of the house. Happy about that!

Here is is. They said they get me a NEMA 14-30 ASAP. Do you think it's bad that it was never fully charged? May have to stop by the galleria. Anyone know where the charger is located?
tesla.day3.jpg

Nice! Galleria parking can be hard to find the first time. Green garage. 610 -> Westheimer -> Left on Sage -> Left on W Alabama. As you drive under the footbridge connecting the two sides of the Galleria, turn into the garage on the right. Tesla reserved spaces and chargers are on the far side of the garage. Call them ahead of time to tell them you are coming because you'll need the Roadster HPC -> Model S adapter can. If the parking spaces are roped off with a plastic chain and bungies, they don't mind you removing them. I usually put them back immediately after I park, but bring a rag as the chain is dirty. Tesla store is just a few stores away from where the escalators come out.

You should fully charge as soon as you can, but I don't think you are doing anything bad in the short term.

Is there anyone here who could meet with Representative Gary Elkins (represents Houston I think)? I had a good phone conversation with someone from his staff who seemed very interested in Tesla but wanted to know why we should do something about it. Maybe offer to meet him this weekend and give him a ride? PM me if you want the name of the person I spoke with.

Got mine this morning! The guys at the inspection were just as excited about it! Unfortunately did not get the NEMA 14-30 adaptor that I was promised would be included....guess I'll be doing the 110 charging for a while. Also not floor mats, and it was a bit muddy out there today. Yikes.
Scheduling delivery was interesting. I think I am luck that I was the first one of the day. He suggested we meet at Hope Depot or Lowes! Eventually he was able to park the HUGE truck in front of the house. Happy about that!

Oh, that 110 charging is for the birds! I had the electrician come as fast as he could!! I'm charging at 50Amps which takes only about 3 hours!!

NCIC
yes it is for the birds! A few months ago I had my garage wired for a NEMA14-30 outlet on the recommendation with someone I spoke to at Tesal (the 50 amp would have caused a lot of sheetrock work, to install), I was assured that a NEMA14-30 would be fine for me. I suspect it would if they could ever deliver the adapator that they promised me!

Got my plates yesterday. When I got to the tax office there was a long line that snaked back and forth and then out the door and down the corridor. I reluctantly joined the back of the queue/line. Two minutes later I was joined at the back by another Tesla owner, Jason. What a coincidence. Maybe Tesla ownership is becoming more common in Houston. Good chat with Jason while waiting for my turn. I got to the counter and hoped I had all the documents I needed. I wrote the big cheque/check (boo!) and got my plates (hooray!)

The house was built 18 months ago. At the design time I requested 2x240 outlets in the garage. Unfortunately they only put it on a 50amp breaker, apparently with wires that would not support 50amp. to go the 50amp route I would have to tear out the sheetrock in the breaker panel in utility room, plus sheetrock in garage. cost was 2k vs 200. Since I only have the 60kw battery I figured I could get a full charge overnight with 30 amp charging. I think I could most times since I dont typically drive more that 50mi a day. I think it is still a decent solution (if only I had the adapter!). Since I was promised one at delivery I did not really worry about it. Oh well...some day.

The house was built 18 months ago. At the design time I requested 2x240 outlets in the garage. Unfortunately they only put it on a 50amp breaker, apparently with wires that would not support 50amp. to go the 50amp route I would have to tear out the sheetrock in the breaker panel in utility room, plus sheetrock in garage. cost was 2k vs 200. Since I only have the 60kw battery I figured I could get a full charge overnight with 30 amp charging. I think I could most times since I dont typically drive more that 50mi a day. I think it is still a decent solution (if only I had the adapter!). Since I was promised one at delivery I did not really worry about it. Oh well...some day.

What kind of outlet and gauge wire did they install? Are they both sharing the same 50A breaker? I believe you could simply remove the second (or cover it so no one plugs anything into it) 14-50 outlet and still charge at 40A. I'd have that checked out though.

The house was built 18 months ago.

Very annoying that you got that advice. Since you were building new, at the very least they should have told you to plan for two separate NEMA 14-50 plugs with a 50 amp breaker for each. However, better advice would have been to prewire for the 100 amp HPC (using the heavy gauge wire) and go with a NEMA 6-50 until some future date where you might need an HPC (which is likely to be never, but who knows what will be required in 10 years?). There just isn't much incremental cost difference in new construction and it helps avoid the common problems. As you've found out, adding it after the fact is way more expensive. For instance, for me for do an HPWC I'd need to increase my electrical service for the house, get a new breaker box or have a secondary panel, run higher gauge wire, etc. etc. Thousands of dollars. But any new house I build I will make sure it can be accommodated even if I don't need it now even with the 85 kWh battery.

The good news is, you should be fine with NEMA 14-30 and the adapters should be available soon. It looks like I may finally have one next week--if so, I'm happy to lend you mine until you get yours. Are you going to be at Coffee and Cars on Saturday? If so, I can give you the adapter then if I have it.

I posted this on main Tesla Houston forum. Another Tesla owner used them and seemed to have good experience as well.

Also, for people interested, I had my outlet done by Trio Electric- they mainly do commercial projects but I know the owner. VERY Professional job. They checked my max electrical load, checked the amps coming into my box, and instead of replacing my whole box as was quoted by the company Telsa recommended here in town, used a special breaker / fuse (I don't know the word for the breaker in the breaker box itself) and allowed me to use my existing breaker box and saved me $$$.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope to attend this weekends Coffee and Cars, but unfortunately, not with my Tesla.

I had an airbag warning light that was on. Service came out twice and decided they had to take my car to Austin service center to work on it.

There it sits while waiting for a part (airbag control module) before bring it back to Houston.

So I may be bringing my lowly Old Cutlass Convertible.

Hopefully it will be back by Buffalo Diner outing.

Anyone interested, Eric from XPEL is supposed to be coming out this week to show off his wares (with fully wrapped Fiat). Seems to be a good guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke with Service Manager (way too much) recently. Houston Service center is getting retrofit for ICE engine work per City of Houston requirements (Oil traps, gas separators, etc.). Hopefully 2-3 weeks????

Anyone interested, Eric from XPEL is supposed to be coming out this week to show off his wares (with fully wrapped Fiat). Seems to be a good guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke with Service Manager (way too much) recently. Houston Service center is getting retrofit for ICE engine work per City of Houston requirements (Oil traps, gas separators, etc.). Hopefully 2-3 weeks????

Eric seems real nice. I wonder if we could talk to him about special pricing for multiple S's? A guy posted that he got his whole front, mirrors, back sides and back hatchway fully wrapped for $1200. (Significantly less than Eric's quote for just the front.)

I'm starting to think I want a full body wrap. I've had more scrapes or near scrapes in the last two months with my S than the previous 20 years! I guess has something to do with being hyper careful. :)

Got my 14-30 adapter today, excited about that. Also I was having some minor issues that I wrote to Tesla about (wipers wipe once every time i get in the car, rain or shine, charge port does not open with the charge cable, and sometimes never on the first try with the port release button on the control panel, instrument display sometime changes brightness for now reason, low night level to full on after going over a speed bump) Apparently they are not allowed to user the service rangers now that an Austin service center is open (another TX law!), so they will put my car on a truck , ship to Austin and return it the same day. Seem like a production! (BTW i have two 30 amp breakers, seperate in the garage, charging at 18mph now)