Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can add me to your tally of interested people.

Eric seems real nice. I wonder if we could talk to him about special pricing for multiple S's? A guy posted that he got his whole front, mirrors, back sides and back hatchway fully wrapped for $1200. (Significantly less than Eric's quote for just the front.)

I'm starting to think I want a full body wrap. I've had more scrapes or near scrapes in the last two months with my S than the previous 20 years! I guess has something to do with being hyper careful. :)

I finally got around to creating a Google Group for Houston area Tesla Owners: "Tesla Owners Houston TX":

Google Groups

The goal here is not to overload you with the same message from multiple sources but to provide multiple options and let you pick the one that works best for you. This option is used by the Austin / San Antonio crew and people there seem to like it so I figured I'd give it a try. Google allows you to select the frequency for how often you get updated. For example, you can select one email per week that then sends you a summary of posts for the week.

Looking forward to meeting some of the new owners tomorrow at Buffalo Grille West U!

It was nice meeting all the Tesla owners and soon to be owners at Buffalo Grill this evening. A very diverse group and only a small segment of Tesla owners in Houston.

I mentioned that someone had gotten into the Tesla API and set up a twitter account for his car to tweet info about what it was doing.

Here is the post from the guy that has set up his Tesla to tweet info. I would be interested in hearing from some of the software /engineer types about this. I would love to see info like charge complete, how many kilowatts it took to charge per charge calculating price per mile, and then per calculating the same stats per month, etc. Since I have had my car, my electrical use actually went down from last year, so I do not know how much energy my car is taking to keep it charged.

Jeoff (aka the guy with the car all the problems- hopefully now most corrected)

PureAmps

user-offline.png

Blue P85 Model S
reputation_pos.png
Oct 2012

My Model S now tweets!

Thanks to the Model S REST API and a little bit of Ruby, my Model S now tweets updates on its charging and driving status. You can follow @PureAmps on twitter if you are extremely bored. All posts to that account are automatically generated using data from the API.

Now the first question you may ask is "why would I want my car to tweet"? The short answer is: "you wouldn't". :smile:

The long answer is that I'm using this as an experiment to get useful data out of the vehicle including daily mileage and energy usage, that I will eventually use to put together some type of web app to track my vehicle's stats.

Last edited by PureAmps; 02-13-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: correct autocorrect
Blue P85 Model S (VIN#2817)

@Jeoff I took a quick look. What these programs are doing is using the same interface that the mobile apps use. The original guy just ran the application on his own wifi and 'sniffed' the packets to see what was doing. It is actually a very simple interface, so they were able to understand it and do a few useful things with it. Your charge log might not be too difficult.

Thanks to everyone who came out yesterday to our first meet-up outside of Coffee and Cars! It was great to meet more owners, and our numbers are growing weekly! We had 16 owners or future owners and a great mix of vehicles ranging in VIN from 219 to 7103. I saw a number of people taking photos in the parking lot as we ate dinner.

Stephen1.jpg
Rakesh2.jpg

Going forward we have a list of suggestions for future get-togethers, so hopefully we’ll get one on the books in the next few months. In the meantime, our next scheduled event for the early risers is Houston Coffee and Cars again:

4/6 Houston Coffee and Cars (Houston Coffee and Cars - Where All Automotive Enthusiasts Meet to Share the Same Passion). Need to arrive by 6:30am to be able to park by the group, although we can reserve a few spots for late arrivers if we know you are coming. Our goal is at least 10 cars for this month!

Event Location: 110 Vintage Park Blvd., Houston, TX 77070

Potentials (we will post when more details are known if the event confirms):

4/4 – 4/7 Jason Siegel: We may have some representation at the Shell Eco-marathon (details still to be worked out). If that happens we may need a few folks to stand out by a Model S and answer questions for the people walking by. Update: Not happening.

Shell Eco-marathon Americas - Shell Global

4/14 Rakesh Agrawal: We may need a few cars for Earth Day for Air Alliance Houston (Air Alliance Houston). Details still to be worked out. Update: Not happening.

4/14 Austin Coffee and Cars at The Oasis on Lake Travis. If you are interested in attending, please let me know.

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

I have been directed to the HOUSTON service center for a repair !!! Does anyone know how long it has been open....??? I got this information from TESLA California on their Service line, after I discovered that my Passenger Front door wont open when you slightly pull on the outside handle. They are ordering a part, and when I asked where I was to go to get it repaired, they said they were going to make an appointment at the HOUSTON Service Center. I asked ..... It's OPEN?? ...... Yes they said it was. Anyone have any feedback on this, like been there, and where it is?? I didnt get to ask, because I had made the call during a lull in seeing patients.. I figured they will tell me when the part is there, which they said could be in 2 days....Good Friday.... OR.... possibly next week. If it IS open, we all ought to know, so I am announcing what I was told.

Last edited:
The Houston Service Center has been open a couple of weeks. They worked on my car. Very easy - they had the car picked up and delivered back to my home.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been unable to get the window sticker toll tag to work on my car. When I went to the EZ Tag store I was told they do not have the license plate toll tags at the store. When I tried to order it on-line I got the following response: "Per the request of the License plate toll tag for your Tesla S to replace tag#XXXXXXXXX, we are currently only issuing license plate tags out to the vehicles that require them as we have a limited stock available. You can check back with HCTRA at a later date and see if at that point we can issue you one. (Specific time frame is not a given) If you choose to wait for that License plate tag before utilizing the toll road then we can return your tag and replace it but there has to be zero usage on that tag to give the proper return status."

I wrote back and explained that Tesla's don't work with the sticker tags and cited them to the discussions on this site and they sent the following in response: "After discussing your request with upper management, we are able to issue a license plate tag for vehicle with license plate XXXXXXX 2013 Telsa S. If the EZ Tag you have for the vehicle has not been used or mounted on the vehicle you may return the tag by visiting one of our EZ Tag store location or your may mail the tag back to us at: HCTRA, 1170 Wilshire Place Drive, Houston, TX 77040, to receive a tag activation refund. We will mail the license plate tag to the address on the account. EZ Tags are processed within 3-5 business days by mail. Once you have received the license plate tag, the tag is required to be mounted on top of the front license plate."

- - - Updated - - -

I have been directed to the HOUSTON service center for a repair !!! Does anyone know how long it has been open....??? I got this information from TESLA California on their Service line, after I discovered that my Passenger Front door wont open when you slightly pull on the outside handle. They are ordering a part, and when I asked where I was to go to get it repaired, they said they were going to make an appointment at the HOUSTON Service Center. I asked ..... It's OPEN?? ...... Yes they said it was. Anyone have any feedback on this, like been there, and where it is?? I didnt get to ask, because I had made the call during a lull in seeing patients.. I figured they will tell me when the part is there, which they said could be in 2 days....Good Friday.... OR.... possibly next week. If it IS open, we all ought to know, so I am announcing what I was told.

Any update on the general or specific location?

I have been unable to get the window sticker toll tag to work on my car.

Take a read through this:

North Texas Toll Tags

I think you will be able to get the standard sticker to work.

The EZ TAG stores have a testing sensor. Do a google search for "ez tag store" to find locations. I went through the test sensor with the sticker in various positions. I found that behind the rear view, on top of the black dots, I was able to get a "yellow light." Since it wasn't "green," I asked the store what that meant. It means that there was a weak signal. One time I was going through a lane with a control arm. I entered at my usual speed (approx 10 mph), and I had to stop at the control arm. I thought that my testing was for naught. As I was backing up to change lanes, the control arm opened. That is my only experience with a control arm. In the other lanes, I have not yet received a flashing red light response.

I just got my high powered wall connector in the mail yesterday and now I need to get it installed!
photo (11).JPG

Unfortunately, I also discovered the same L shaped crack on my windshield (passenger side, lower corner) on Saturday morning that I've seen a lot of people writing about. I heard that Stacy (Houston Tesla owner who came out to the Buffalo Grill get together) has been through 2 or 3 windshields already. Hopefully they fix mine and it doesn't happen again!

photo (24).JPG

Last edited:
@rakeshtx I hope they get that fixed soon. Glad I did not get the sunroof.

I posted brochures from the EXAR-1, a never-to-production all electric car I wanted to buy in the 80's.

My almost first electric car.

The Tesla is all this car was supposed to be and more.

Besides a passenger side door that would not open from the outside for at 1-2 days (now working fine) I have had no new problems - Yay!!!! Still on 4.2 though.

I may see y'all at next month's Coffee and Cars. I will probably bring by Cutlass and my wife will be up later with the Tesla.

The Houston service center is located at: 3750 Westchase Dr, Houston, TX 77042.

As of Friday they were still finalizing the office setup, it the service bays were in operation.
image.jpg

Rich said Tesla Motors website to be updated shortly once official opening was completed.

Last edited:
Just had my windshield replaced yesterday at the Houston SC. They did a great job! Also gave me a ride back to work and then picked me up. Very happy with the service. They have a guy name Ian who is a detailer and he was able to buff some delivery scratches out of my roof.