Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This model X customer did it right.

You should do the same.
13558594_1583150451982578_5507910304606821039_o.jpg

Thanks y'all! And yeah, I noticed the service center error too. Still, I thought it was a pretty good story given they cold-called me that evening, met me at my gym, drove around with me while recording audio and video on a couple of different devices, and then had a story to air at 10pm that evening that included the salient points minus my endless, off-topic rambling. I was very glad that they included the most important thing that I said in the entire interview, "Ultimately, it is the driver's responsibility to maintain control of the vehicle at all times." (I'm sure they included it because I said it at least three times during the interview.) Tesla drivers who think otherwise should not be using auto-pilot. Auto-pilot is a very helpful tool, but it is not an abdication of driver responsibility.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
FYI...I tried charging at the Houston Galleria this weekend and was denied. The employee I spoke with said owner charging is no longer allowed due to the number of gallery vehicles and test drives they are doing now. When I asked for how long, he said this was a permanent change and the location should be removed from the charging list. He did ask if I was visiting from out of town, so maybe they would make an exception for visitors.

When I was leaving, there were no vehicles out on test drives. Every single one seemed to be occupied by the exact same cars as when I arrived earlier. I don't know why they can't charge the cars overnight and then make a couple chargers available for owner charging during the day.

Reactions: Beryl
I don't know why they can't charge the cars overnight and then make a couple chargers available for owner charging during the day.
I agree. We are too SC-challenged here in Texas to not have at least one charger available at the Galleria. North Houston is too far away. Perhaps Tesla should install a couple at the Westchase SvC for travelers although there would be less to do during the wait at that spot.

I suggest you send a suggestion directly to Tesla.

FYI...I tried charging at the Houston Galleria this weekend and was denied. The employee I spoke with said owner charging is no longer allowed due to the number of gallery vehicles and test drives they are doing now. When I asked for how long, he said this was a permanent change and the location should be removed from the charging list.

This must be a new policy change because asked bout it on the 25th (right dropping off up my car at EVS). I was handed a business card and told to call the number if I wanted them to move a car so I could charge. I wonder if it only applies on weekends. Guess I'll be driving my big truck to the Galleria from now on.

If you do a lot of business driving throughout Houston (I do), get an EVGo on-demand membership and a Chademo adapter. EVGo Chademos are all over the place and can easily get you some quick miles if you need them. The on-demand membership has no monthly fee, you just pay a slightly higher price if you actually use it.

I've used them a handful of times, and unlike some other public charger networks, I haven't had any issues with EVGo.

@siggyg This is news to me too. I believe this should be taken directly to Tesla as well...

So I heard back from Tesla. Here is their reply:

Hello siggyg,

For early adopters, Tesla offered charging at Galleries/Stores while the Superchargers, Destination Chargers, and other public charging infrastructure was being developed. Tesla has since reached a point that Test Drive vehicles could not be charged consistently at Stores/Galleries due to Owner charging requests. Since charging at Stores/Galleries was no longer sustainable, and since most Customers desiring charging at Stores/Galleries could be better served by charging at home, public charging, destination charging, or supercharging, Tesla no longer offers complimentary charging at Stores/Galleries.

We have passed along your feedback, and your desire that this decision is reassessed.

Thank you,

Hunter

So it sounds like charging at any store/gallery is going to be a thing of the past. This was my first ever attempt to charge at a gallery as I normally charge at home every night. If I am ever out for a long drive/trip, I guess I can count out stopping at any store/gallery. Hopefully out of town visitors will fare better if they ask to charge.

I wonder what they would do if an owner just happened to find a store/gallery location where a vehicle is out for a test drive and the owner just pulls in and starts charging?

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
@siggyg

Thanks for the follow-up. Might stop parking in the Tesla area at the Galleria now. Was a nice perk to be able to park there, not just for charging but the added security of being around other Teslas and not the typical door ding happy Houstonians. If more test drives means more Teslas on the road and furthering the advancement of sustainable transport, I'll accept it...

So, since when is Tesla just willie nillie giving test drives in Texas? I thought they couldn't do that at the Galleries in Texas due to dealer protection laws on the books? Are they just thumbing their nose at the law now or am I totally wrong about what the law is?

It wouldn't surprise me if they were thumbing their nose at the law figuring that's how they'll end up challenging it in court.

Mike

So, since when is Tesla just willie nillie giving test drives in Texas? I thought they couldn't do that at the Galleries in Texas due to dealer protection laws on the books? Are they just thumbing their nose at the law now or am I totally wrong about what the law is?

It wouldn't surprise me if they were thumbing their nose at the law figuring that's how they'll end up challenging it in court.

Mike

They have been able to give test drives with no problem. The workaround is that it just has to be scheduled ahead of time with HQ in California.

• Informative
Reactions: NOLA_Mike

Mike
Let's say there would have to be a complaint filed by someone. (I don't know how it actually works) Would the complainant likely just end up looking silly, or bullyish, if it goes public?

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
FYI...I tried charging at the Houston Galleria this weekend and was denied. The employee I spoke with said owner charging is no longer allowed due to the number of gallery vehicles and test drives they are doing now. When I asked for how long, he said this was a permanent change and the location should be removed from the charging list. He did ask if I was visiting from out of town, so maybe they would make an exception for visitors.

My 2 cents: when 400,000 model 3's hit the road, there will be no free charging at the showrooms. It just doesn't scale. Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. Tesla might relent for a while, but they're going to be focused on sales and not free HPWC's at the mall.

Thanks for everyone's replies...So it doesn't sound like anyone else has come across this $300 "City of Houston permit & inspection"...

Cheikh installed a 80A HPWC for me. My breaker box is on the other side of a large house from my garage. He had to run a fat 100A cable from the breaker box to the garage. He did a great job, ran a pipe all the way with the cable inside it, painted the pipe to match the walls, had to tear through the ceiling to reach the garage as there wasn't a convenient attic access. He charged me $3000 inclusive of the Tesla HPWC ($550 + tax) and $300 city inspection. This was significantly less than others on the Tesla electrician list for Houston. He did provide me with a cheaper quote for the 40 A HPWC and an even cheaper quote for the NEMA 14-50. However, I elected to go with the 80A option because I did buy my Model X with the high amperage charging option and needed quick recharges as I drive at least a 100 miles a day and some times 300 miles a day. I have been using this for over a month and totally like the arrangement. Cheikh had to install a new breaker box as my breaker box had no open slots. He even picked up the HPWC from Tesla Service Center in North Houston at no extra charge. All he asked me to do is place the order directly with the Service Center (as Tesla rations out one HPWC per owner/car at this point). Work was completed in about 3 hrs. He bought all materials (matching paint, breaker boxes, cable, ....) himself and was inclusive of his charges. A few days later the city inspector (City of Spring Valley, TX) showed up, inspected the work, complemented on it and signed the permit).

He is very honest, straightforward, trustworthy and keeps his word. A rare breed of people whose word is their bond. You feel safe in his presence as he runs through the house doing his work. Even my elderly mom is a fan of his, because he is very respectful. I have asked him to do other electrical work in the house and he is extremely reasonable. I strongly recommend Cheikh.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler