Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV lanes, and other laws, across state lines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that some states give special exemptions or considerations, like access to HOV lanes or free parking, to residents that purchase full electric vehicles. But how do these apply when you drive your out of state Tesla into one of these states? Do you still get the special exemptions/considerations? For example I live pretty close to California and drive there a couple times a year. Will I get any special benefits from being an EV driver? Or do their laws only apply to residents of CA?

I always assume that any benefits are non-transferable out of state. For California specifically you officially need ugly stickers on your car after paying a fee to the California DMV. Even if you have the stickers they can fine you if they are not affixed to the car so legally you need to stay out of the carpool lane in California.

• Informative
Reactions: derotam
For HOV lane access in CA you must display a decal. They are not open to EVs simply because they are EVs. I have heard some people argue that "all Tesla model are electric, why do I need a decal?". But the decal comes with a fee, expiration date, and income requirement so more to it than it seems. There could be other EV incentives for parking but I am not aware what requirements must be met.

I learned recently after taking my dad-in-law on a multi-state trip that handicap placards are generally recognized across state lines, even though they’re issued by individual states. But EV bennies, not so much. Oh well.

But anyone can use the HOV lanes if you have another person in the car. A few areas require 3 people, not 2.
I know that some states give special exemptions or considerations, like access to HOV lanes or free parking, to residents that purchase full electric vehicles. But how do these apply when you drive your out of state Tesla into one of these states? Do you still get the special exemptions/considerations? For example I live pretty close to California and drive there a couple times a year. Will I get any special benefits from being an EV driver? Or do their laws only apply to residents of CA?
But anyone can use the HOV lanes if you have another person in the car. A few areas require 3 people, not 2. The stickers are just for solo EV drivers.