Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV OK Decal - BC

Will you put an HOV OK sticker on your new Model 3?

• Yes, need the HOV access

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • No way I'm putting a sticker on my Model 3

Votes: 34 45.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who in BC is planning to use the HOV OK decal on their Model 3? I don't think I will be able bring myself to put an ugly sticker on my beautiful new Model 3 :( Thinking of leaving it in the glove box or maybe sticking it on some fridge magnet material so I can take it off when not commuting, :)

evehicle_hov.png

I have them taped from the inside of the rear windows on my S and Leaf since it first came out and I've driven by a lot of checks. Don't peal off the backing. Buy some blue electrical tape that matches the colour of the sticker (not painter's tape)and tape it from the inside. It looks fine and removes easily. When my vehicle went in for a drive unit replacement, I took my sticker off and put it in on the loaner since Tesla loaners don't have the stickers.

I think most Cops can identify a Tesla.

Good luck in court. Every sign on the highway says "Decal required" -- and in the glove box results in a ticket. Some cops look forward to finding Tesla drivers without decals as they sit hiding. There's comments about that here since I didn't like the idea of the decal either -- but the fine is worse -- plus just the peace of mind is worth it to me rather than worrying you'll get pulled over for no sticker, especially if I'm off to an appt which is usually the reason I'm in the HOV lane in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koflach
I’ve never had hassle from a cop I didn’t deserve.

Well according to the law you deserve a ticket for not displaying the sticker and cops usually follow the law, although of course they have discretion to give you a warning.

If it’s just an HOV check I’m sure they would just tell you to put on the sticker.

Then will you put it on?

But go for it. I don't want to discourage you -- just warn you. And please be honest and tell us if you get a ticket like others here have. I always see the cops looking for my sticker -- because of it's unusual place -- but let's see what happens to you with none.

If it got me out of the ticket I would put it on right there. Then I would remove it and try my luck again :) I’ll post for sure if I get wheeled in the HOV.

As a thought how long do you think they’ll let us in the HOV since environmental it doesn’t make sense?

Just got to work coming over the Port Mann, there was a motorcycle cop hiding under an overpass. I drove past in the HOV with no front plate and no decal he looked right at me and didn't bat an eye. I don't think I have ever seen a cop hiding there before, I thought I cursed myself and was going to get a ticket.

I put mine on my car to the right of the license plate and really regret it since hardly ever use the HOV by myself. I put it just to the right of the license plate and as high as possible in there to try to hide it. Whenever I see another M3 go by without a decal it I am envious of the non messy posterior.

I like the ideas above about attaching it to a fridge magnet and using only when needed or keeping in glove box and begging for mercy if it becomes an issue. Has anybody with a Tesla ever gotten a ticket for using lane and not displaying or know how much a ticket would be? There are lots of laws on the books that are hardly ever enforced for various practical reasons.

I wish we could get the cool green lettered license plates like in Ontario or Quebec (come on BC!)

The government's instruction is to place the sticker on the back of the car. I think I won't put the sticker and find a some fridge magnet and use it when I need to drive in hwy with hov lane.

I bought these 5”x7” magnetic sheets at Staples that I may try to use with the the decal.
https://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-4-x-6-Magnetic-Sheets-2-Pack/product_387353_1-CA_1_20001

But the odds of forgetting to take the magnet off when parked and having it swiped, probably pretty high

• Informative
Reactions: fidodido