TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HOV OK Decal - BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 23.skidoo, Jun 2, 2018.

?

Will you put an HOV OK sticker on your new Model 3?

1. Yes, need the HOV access

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No way I'm putting a sticker on my Model 3

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. 23.skidoo

23.skidoo Member

Who in BC is planning to use the HOV OK decal on their Model 3? I don't think I will be able bring myself to put an ugly sticker on my beautiful new Model 3 :( Thinking of leaving it in the glove box or maybe sticking it on some fridge magnet material so I can take it off when not commuting, :)

[​IMG]

2. richrootes

richrootes Member

Stick it inside your rear window with double sided sellotape

• Helpful x 1
  3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I have them taped from the inside of the rear windows on my S and Leaf since it first came out and I've driven by a lot of checks. Don't peal off the backing. Buy some blue electrical tape that matches the colour of the sticker (not painter's tape)and tape it from the inside. It looks fine and removes easily. When my vehicle went in for a drive unit replacement, I took my sticker off and put it in on the loaner since Tesla loaners don't have the stickers.

• Like x 3
  4. Darscot

Darscot Member

It’s hideous, no way that’s going in my ride. I have a friend that’s had an X for over a year without the decal and never had an issue. I think most Cops can identify a Tesla.

5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#5 Canuck, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Good luck in court. Every sign on the highway says "Decal required" -- and in the glove box results in a ticket. Some cops look forward to finding Tesla drivers without decals as they sit hiding. There's comments about that here since I didn't like the idea of the decal either -- but the fine is worse -- plus just the peace of mind is worth it to me rather than worrying you'll get pulled over for no sticker, especially if I'm off to an appt which is usually the reason I'm in the HOV lane in the first place.

• Like x 1
  6. Darscot

Darscot Member

I’ve never had hassle from a cop I didn’t deserve. If your driving like an idiot and get pulled over I could see one giving you an extra ticket for not having the decal. If it’s just an HOV check I’m sure they would just tell you to put on the sticker.

• Like x 1
  7. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Well according to the law you deserve a ticket for not displaying the sticker and cops usually follow the law, although of course they have discretion to give you a warning.

Then will you put it on?

But go for it. I don't want to discourage you -- just warn you. And please be honest and tell us if you get a ticket like others here have. I always see the cops looking for my sticker -- because of it's unusual place -- but let's see what happens to you with none.

8. Darscot

Darscot Member

If it got me out of the ticket I would put it on right there. Then I would remove it and try my luck again :) I’ll post for sure if I get wheeled in the HOV.

As a thought how long do you think they’ll let us in the HOV since environmental it doesn’t make sense?

9. Darscot

Darscot Member

Just got to work coming over the Port Mann, there was a motorcycle cop hiding under an overpass. I drove past in the HOV with no front plate and no decal he looked right at me and didn't bat an eye. I don't think I have ever seen a cop hiding there before, I thought I cursed myself and was going to get a ticket.

10. fidodido

fidodido Member

So, I want to revive this old thread on BC's "HOV OK" decal. Where did you place it if you decide to put it on? I temporary placed on the rear window, but when I get rear window tinted I need a place to put it. Any great suggestions?

11. gdawg

gdawg Member

I put mine on my car to the right of the license plate and really regret it since hardly ever use the HOV by myself. I put it just to the right of the license plate and as high as possible in there to try to hide it. Whenever I see another M3 go by without a decal it I am envious of the non messy posterior.

I like the ideas above about attaching it to a fridge magnet and using only when needed or keeping in glove box and begging for mercy if it becomes an issue. Has anybody with a Tesla ever gotten a ticket for using lane and not displaying or know how much a ticket would be? There are lots of laws on the books that are hardly ever enforced for various practical reasons.

I wish we could get the cool green lettered license plates like in Ontario or Quebec (come on BC!)

• Like x 2
  12. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

How about on your dash board

13. fidodido

fidodido Member

The government's instruction is to place the sticker on the back of the car. I think I won't put the sticker and find a some fridge magnet and use it when I need to drive in hwy with hov lane.

14. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

I would prefer sticking it to the government. No way in Hell would I put an ugly sticker on my car like that!

• Like x 1
  15. 23.skidoo

23.skidoo Member

I bought these 5”x7” magnetic sheets at Staples that I may try to use with the the decal.
    https://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-4-x-6-Magnetic-Sheets-2-Pack/product_387353_1-CA_1_20001

But the odds of forgetting to take the magnet off when parked and having it swiped, probably pretty high

• Informative x 1
  16. Koflach

Koflach Member

isn't the exterior of the car mostly made out of Aluminum and Plastic? Last time I checked a magnet won't work on either of those.

17. WolfHero

WolfHero Member

I saw a video from a California detailer that shows how he put their HOV sticker on a paint protection film, cut it out and stick it on the rear right side of car bumper. With PPF in the middle, it's easy to remove without damage to paint.

18. 23.skidoo

23.skidoo Member

Bumper is plastic, but the magnet sheet sticks quite well on the trunk.

Model 3 uses more steel and less aluminium than S/X
    Find Out Which Tesla Model 3 Body Parts Are Magnetic

• Informative x 2
  19. Nilroc

Nilroc Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. fidodido

fidodido Member