Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV OK Decal - BC

Will you put an HOV OK sticker on your new Model 3?

• Yes, need the HOV access

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • No way I'm putting a sticker on my Model 3

Votes: 34 45.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a BC Lions Window Cling and it made me think of using something similar. Bought this one off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01GUGWEJM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Seems to be working ok at the moment. I didn't peal the HOV Sticker off. Just placed it inbetween so I can reuse it once the window cling doesn't work anymore or has been peeled off one too many times and I need to replace it.

My husband might straighten it since I did a poor job placing it there, and it looks kind of crooked. :D

IMG_20190717_134010.jpg
IMG_20190717_134456.jpg

My husband might straighten it since I did a poor job placing it there, and it looks kind of crooked. :D

View attachment 430840 View attachment 430841

Highly suggest you laminate the decal before you straighten it. I did the same approach with my last EV, and the decal had bonded with the glass and basically tore apart when I tried to transfer to my Model 3.

Reactions: bc_trunky
After weighing the risks of riding the HOV without decal vs putting the hideous decal on the new M3, decided to go the removable vinyl route. Makes it as temporary/permanent as you want.

- bought vinyl sheets off eBay for $6 USD shipped to Blaine
- stick HOV decal on the vinyl, carefully trim off excess using an exacto knife
- remove backing of vinyl and place where you want

Just stuck it on, so can't speak to longevity yet. Seller says will last 6 months if regularly being removed on/off, or rated for two years if you are looking for a longer term solution.

Will report back after a couple washes, but so far the adhesive at the back has lots of grab and didnt leave anything behind when I repositioned it a bunch.

Good solution for those like me that might want to reposition the decal over time and/or remove when not needed.

12" x 4" REMOVABLE VINYL BUMPER STICKER CAR PROTECTOR DECAL 2 pack | eBay

I suppose ANY vinyl wrap would work...? something like that could maybe work? i also see other 3" x 4" options that costs like <$2

what are the dimensions of the decal anyway?

in all fairness this is the best solution i've seen so far for people who have tinted their back window in that
- it seems detachable
- it doesn't go on your body paint
- to me it's less of an eye sore placing it next to your license plate vs a random spot in your bumber that's not inside your windows

@Mellenger do you have more pics/installation instructions available? your link says self tapping screws just making sure i don't have to screw anything into the car. Can this mount be repeatedly attached and detached as needed?

I have learned that the 2019 Tesla Model 3 use a M5 machine screw and the 2018 use a self tapping screw to attach the real license plate.

the install is super easy. You remove the rear license plate (with or without the Tesla holder), Add the new sticker holder behind it, and then re-attach using the new screws or bolts we give you (they are 4mm longer than stock to account for the 1/8” plastic sheet).

Attachments

• 5A21226A-35CD-4C59-ACD6-D58648EC8A5E.jpeg
    5A21226A-35CD-4C59-ACD6-D58648EC8A5E.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 326
We have come out with a solution for the BC HOV OK decal sticker which is custom designed to precisely fit your Tesla Model 3 and upcoming Model Y. It's available for pre-order now.
Who in BC is planning to use the HOV OK decal on their Model 3? I don't think I will be able bring myself to put an ugly sticker on my beautiful new Model 3 :( Thinking of leaving it in the glove box or maybe sticking it on some fridge magnet material so I can take it off when not commuting, :)

evehicle_hov.png

We have come out with a solution for the BC HOV OK decal sticker which is custom designed to precisely fit your Tesla Model 3 and upcoming Model Y. It's available for pre-order now.

Rear-Tesla-low.jpg

Reactions: Roald44
Does anyone know the purpose behind the decal?

As I drive through Kelowna with it's right-lane-HOV-lane (yes, seriously), I have many questions. Is the decal for automated systems to check/verify that it's an EV and OK? Does it just need to be somewhere so you can say "yes officer look it's an EV"? Does it matter at all to display, or just matter that it's registered and the decal makes the officer conversation easier? Who or what is looking for this sticker, and why does the sticker matter?

I haven't got the decal yet because it almost never matters to me (HOV lane in Kelowna is a joke, and if I'm in the Vancouver area I have a second passenger anyways).

I assume enforcement officers will pull you over if they see there are no other passengers in the car + you are driving in HOV lane + there is no visible decal. They do bother check which car and model you drive to figure out whether your car is eligible (Battery EV or PHEV).

And I believe you can still get fined even if you are driving a obvious BEV (Tesla), but not displaying decal.

I assume enforcement officers will pull you over if they see there are no other passengers in the car + you are driving in HOV lane + there is no visible decal. They do bother check which car and model you drive to figure out whether your car is eligible (Battery EV or PHEV).

And I believe you can still get fined even if you are driving a obvious BEV (Tesla), but not displaying decal.
That is correct. If you are not displaying the sticker. You will get pulled over and ticketed.