Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV pass and sticker mount to save your paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7C9860D6-2F92-4368-BA3E-AACC7B38C72B.jpeg
I came up with a simple way to avoid sticking a strong adhesive sticker (akin to those for Maryland HOV passes) made from cheap plexiglass. I used this method on my Prius before I purchased a Model 3. I’m sure this is something that could make money, but I know a lot of folks on these forums are savvy and I’d rather not be that classic capitalist.

hopefully this will help others adhering stickers near license plates.

The sizing I used was 4.5”W X 16.5”L; holes were drilled at 1/4” to license plate spacing.

Attachments

• 6AD67A03-23E1-457C-A7D3-6F89BB7B7047.jpeg
    6AD67A03-23E1-457C-A7D3-6F89BB7B7047.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 349
  • F2C5EBAA-2F63-4218-A850-F8A41BEF2535.jpeg
    F2C5EBAA-2F63-4218-A850-F8A41BEF2535.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 245
Same with CA. It’s actually obnoxious... you need no less than 4 stickers, maybe more. For those who must have it you can attach the stickers to magnet sheets (search these forums) on most portions so you don’t actually have to perm affix the rear. The front one on the bumper would probably have to be affixed.

I’m getting an M3P in a few months on a lease and I probably won’t bother.. but I work from home 70% of the time so I’m an edge case.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
I'm in California and put mine on magnets for my 3P, but just use two - both placed on opposite sides of the trunk lid. PPF is an excellent option too. On our X, I use the removable printable sheets. I scanned the stickers and then just printed versions out that can be peeled off on a whim.

I'm still perplexed as the use of stickers for the HOV lane access. It's mind-boggling that the DMV forces people to put "permanent" decals on their paint instead of offering something like a special registration sticker or something a bit more simple.

The OP's solution is perfectly reasonable.

I have a bunch of left over paint protection film, so the HOV stickers are stuck on top of the film for "easier" removal if necessary. Hopefully HOV lane access for EV is not going away soon.

small piece of PPF should cost less than $10 on Ebay.

I also do not understand. There is no Tesla that is gas powered, so a sticker should be unnecessary.
It's because access to the HOV lane (in California) is not forever. Each VIN is allowed to get a sticker once and that sticker is valid for 3 years + the remainder of the year you get the sticker, and then you are no longer allowed to use the HOV lane. So, if you got your sticker in 2018, it expires Jan 1, 2022. The ones issued this year (2019) expire Jan 1, 2023.

Also, the entire program ends in 2025... and I think that is by federal law. That is _no_ state will be allowed to have electric vehicle access to the HOV lane (unless it actually meets the occupancy rules, of course).

It's because access to the HOV lane (in California) is not forever. Each VIN is allowed to get a sticker once and that sticker is valid for 3 years + the remainder of the year you get the sticker, and then you are no longer allowed to use the HOV lane. So, if you got your sticker in 2018, it expires Jan 1, 2022. The ones issued this year (2019) expire Jan 1, 2023.

Also, the entire program ends in 2025... and I think that is by federal law. That is _no_ state will be allowed to have electric vehicle access to the HOV lane (unless it actually meets the occupancy rules, of course).

Oh, I didn't know that. As far as I knew, in NY there is no expiration on the sticker. Good to know. Thanks.

Definitely not feeling like ruining my 2020 M3P's awesome looks with hideous orange stickers everywhere. It's ridiculous.

My plan is to carry these and the permit in the glove box until if/when I get pulled over (I have 30% window tint so maybe never), then say hey I just got these I was going to put them on tonight...rinse and repeat until I finally get a ticket.

Abstract ocean and RPMTesla sell stickers for NY and CA. I got the CA ones. The pack comes with 4 stickers the same size and shape of the 4 required HOV stickers. You put the clear stickers on the bumper and then the HOV decals on top. You can't tell they're there and apparently makes it easier to remove the whole thing when you want to. Was a bit pricey at $20 but not too bad considering the perfect fit.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
You can't tell they're there and apparently makes it easier to remove the whole thing when you want to

yeah. So when cretins steal the sticker so they can put it on their ICE to get HOV access they don’t take the paint along with it, like they did when they pulled the CA HOV stickers off my Volt a few years ago. Apparently this was such a common thing that CA DMV had a form you can file to get stolen stickers replaced.

Same with CA. It’s actually obnoxious... you need no less than 4 stickers, maybe more. For those who must have it you can attach the stickers to magnet sheets (search these forums) on most portions so you don’t actually have to perm affix the rear. The front one on the bumper would probably have to be affixed.

I’m getting an M3P in a few months on a lease and I probably won’t bother.. but I work from home 70% of the time so I’m an edge case.
I’ve gotten away with having the HOV decals in just two spots on three different cars. One sticker on the right/rear bumper and one sticker on the right side/rear bumper. Haven’t been pulled over by the police for doing it that way