Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV Sticker Before License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone applied for the HOV sticker with only the VIN before you get your license plate, and got your application rejected because you didn't provide a license plate number?

You won't get rejected for not having a plate number outright, but you will get rejected if the car hasn't been registered in the DMV's database yet, which usually happens a few days after you take delivery. If you *really* want to cut it close, I'd suggest you submit your paperwork without plate number about a week after you take delivery.

Reactions: acarlos1000
You won't get rejected for not having a plate number outright, but you will get rejected if the car hasn't been registered in the DMV's database yet, which usually happens a few days after you take delivery. If you *really* want to cut it close, I'd suggest you submit your paperwork without plate number about a week after you take delivery.

This is exactly what I plan on doing. My car was delivered on Friday, August 12. Tesla told me the DMV team will submit the transfer of vessel/registration form on Monday. I plan on submitting my HOV sticker application by the end this week.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have experience with this issue?

I've done this process many times (my new Model S is the fourth EV in our house). I have co-workers/friends who just got EVs this year as well. For three EVs I know of from this year, we submitted the application for the HOV stickers with just the VIN (before the license plates came). It worked out, and we got our stickers.

Just keep in the mind, the DMV recently increased the application fee from $8 to $22 for the stickers.

Reactions: acarlos1000