Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV Sticker Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read that California changes the stickers every year. If I take delivery in December, would it be advisable to hold off applying for HOV sticker until January? That could conceivably add another year of eligibility.

Also - the Model 3 is obviously already eligible. If I registered my FasTrak account for my -temporary- plates, would I be able to use the HOV lanes at bridge toll plazas? Or would I have to wait for the permanent plates?

...delivery in December, would it be advisable to hold off applying for HOV sticker until January? That could conceivably add another year of eligibility...

That would be my strategy.

If you apply prior to the end of the year, most likely you'll get 2019 purple which expires in 1/1/2023. That's 3 years and 1 or 2 months.

If you apply next year, you'll get another color for 2020 that expires in 1/1/2024. That's 4 years minus a week or 2 for the sticker to arrive in the mail.

No, they do not change the stickers every year. There have been a total of 6 stickers in the last 15 years.
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

When the White(introduced in 2000)/Green (2012)Stickers expired in 12/2018, they switched to the current set of Red/Purple. I do not expect any changes until late 2022 when the current Red expire(Plug in Hybrids). At that time, there might be a new replacement, or they might not change them until they replace Purple, or they might just extend the Purple.

Reactions: mnml and ChrisJ
I've read that California changes the stickers every year. If I take delivery in December, would it be advisable to hold off applying for HOV sticker until January? That could conceivably add another year of eligibility.
Yes, you should definitely wait.
Also - the Model 3 is obviously already eligible. If I registered my FasTrak account for my -temporary- plates, would I be able to use the HOV lanes at bridge toll plazas? Or would I have to wait for the permanent plates?
No, temporary plates work fine for that.

EDIT: Just to clear this up, @albtrssp below is absolutely correct. You can register the temp plates on Fastrak and then drive through the Fastrak lanes and be charged correctly, but you are not allowed to use the HOV lanes during the restricted hours until you have received the decals.

Also note that there is now a special Fastrak toll tag for CAVs, which is the only one that gives discounted rates for solo drivers on the SR-237 express lane and probably other Bay Area express lanes in the future. However, you need the certificate that comes with the CAV decals before you can order it.
No, they do not change the stickers every year.
They do actually:

Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board

"Each year the California DMV will establish a new CAV decal color. The colors for future decals have not yet been determined. Future CAV decals will expire on January 1st of the fourth year after the year they are issued. This provides an access period of three full years plus the partial year from when the decal was issued."

Last edited:
No, they do not change the stickers every year. There have been a total of 6 stickers in the last 15 years.
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

When the White(introduced in 2000)/Green (2012)Stickers expired in 12/2018, they switched to the current set of Red/Purple. I do not expect any changes until late 2022 when the current Red expire(Plug in Hybrids). At that time, there might be a new replacement, or they might not change them until they replace Purple, or they might just extend the Purple.

You are probably right, but then the initial white stickers had no expiration date, and the regulations were still very new and vague. It's a bit speculative for sure, but the potential upside is worth a few weeks wait.

Definitely don't use the HOV lanes with no passengers if you don't have the sticker. It doesn't matter if the car is obviously eligible, they'll still nail you. The CHP only goes by the presence of the stickers.

The purple color CAV decals were officially announced by DMV on October 26, 2018. If they have a new color in 2020, they are a bit behind schedule when compared to last year ....

Yeah, they are not going to have a new sticker next year, and I doubt they ever have a new one for individual "carpool cars". Some places in California are already not accepting HOV stickers as good enough to use HOV lanes(according to an acquaintance who worked at Tesla) and one Combo HOV/Express lane only gives you half off if you are a stickered car, caring more about your Fastrack CAV toll tag(237 in the Bay Area).
101 is getting a massive redo of the carpool lane into a combined carpool/express lane, and I do not believe they have stated whether that will be an everyone pays unless you have 2 in your car or not.

From the FasTrak site:
FasTrak CAV for SR-237 Express Lanes
Solo drivers in eligible CAVs will receive a 50% discount off the toll if they use a FasTrak CAV toll tag. The FasTrak CAV toll tag is the only transponder that will communicate the discounted toll rate to roadside toll equipment. Clean air vehicles(i.e. any vehicle) with two or more people can travel toll free as a carpool, but must use a FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag.

Yeah, they are not going to have a new sticker next year
It is current policy.
Some places in California are already not accepting HOV stickers as good enough to use HOV lanes(according to an acquaintance who worked at Tesla)
True, CAV's can longer use some express lanes for free. And yes, the stickers are being devalued more and more as the eligible cars are becoming more and more prevalent on the roads. But for now that is still the system.
and one Combo HOV/Express lane only gives you half off if you are a stickered car, caring more about your Fastrack CAV toll tag(237 in the Bay Area).
It doesn't mean the stickers a no longer relevant, since you can't get the CAV toll tag without first applying for the stickers.

Yeah, they are not going to have a new sticker next year, and I doubt they ever have a new one for individual "carpool cars". Some places in California are already not accepting HOV stickers as good enough to use HOV lanes(according to an acquaintance who worked at Tesla) and one Combo HOV/Express lane only gives you half off if you are a stickered car, caring more about your Fastrack CAV toll tag(237 in the Bay Area).
101 is getting a massive redo of the carpool lane into a combined carpool/express lane, and I do not believe they have stated whether that will be an everyone pays unless you have 2 in your car or not.

There is also this on the California Air Resources Board website:

"Please note that the CAV decal program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025".

It's another reason I'm looking for a 2 seater replacement for my NSX - 2 people in a 2 seater can drive in the HOV lanes, which saves a lot of time going over the Bay Bridge....

There is also this on the California Air Resources Board website:

"Please note that the CAV decal program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025".

It's another reason I'm looking for a 2 seater replacement for my NSX - 2 people in a 2 seater can drive in the HOV lanes, which saves a lot of time going over the Bay Bridge....

2 people in any seater (3, 4, 5,...) can drive in the HOV lanes. ;)

Lot of misinformation here.
1) New stickers with new color WILL be issued in January 2020.
2) HOV=3 exists on i-80 from Alameda thru the Carguez Bridge
3) It is true that the current contract with the federal government on diamond lanes ends in 2025. No way to know whether an extension will be granted.
4) Fastrak told me over the phone if that I already had the new flexpass, I didn't need to get CAV flexpass for the 1/2 price deal
See Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board on the new color sticker
5) Also, my experience is that you don't have to wait until exactly Jan 1 because it takes a few weeks for them to get the stick application. I am planning to submit my new application around Xmas for my new Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: derkan
2018 Red Decal expires 1/1/2022
2019 Purple Decal expires 1/1/2023
2020 Decal expires 1/1/2024
2021 Decal expires 1/1/2025

So I am pretty sure there will be at least 2 more new colors. Although I am perfectly happy if they decided to not put out any more new color and my purple decal could last until 2025!

Lot of misinformation here.
1) New stickers with new color WILL be issued in January 2020.
2) HOV=3 exists on i-80 from Alameda thru the Carguez Bridge
3) It is true that the current contract with the federal government on diamond lanes ends in 2025. No way to know whether an extension will be granted.
4) Fastrak told me over the phone if that I already had the new flexpass, I didn't need to get CAV flexpass for the 1/2 price deal
See Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board on the new color sticker
5) Also, my experience is that you don't have to wait until exactly Jan 1 because it takes a few weeks for them to get the stick application. I am planning to submit my new application around Xmas for my new Tesla
Agree with everything except #4. The FasTrak web site explicitly says this:

"FasTrak CAV for SR-237 Express Lanes

Solo drivers in eligible CAVs will receive a 50% discount off the toll if they use a FasTrak CAV toll tag. The FasTrak CAV toll tag is the only transponder that will communicate the discounted toll rate to roadside toll equipment."

It makes sense because everyone can get the regular Flex tag, while the CAV tag requires the DMV CAV certifcate.

Reactions: ZappCatt
The assumption is that there will be a new sticker for 2020, but you always have to keep this in mind. The HOV lanes are getting very crowded.
  • Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by the California Department of Transportation and federal law for all CAVs carrying fewer occupants than the posted minimum requirement, if their presence contributes to increased traffic congestion, increased travel times, decreased sustained travel speeds, or other factors affecting any carpool lane or segment of that lane.