Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

hov sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my model 3 a week ago. I know the approx. wait time for a hov sticker is ~2 months. Is it better to just wait for the 2020 sticker since the purple sticker expires 1/1/2023 or is there a time limit in which I have to apply for it? Thanks

Don't know about Southern California but up here in the SF bay area, they are putting in toll lanes charged by number of passengers and people will need a FastTrac card so I don't think many people think this HOV single driver program will last much longer. If you can use the lanes now, I'd say get the purple ones. Who knows what 2023 will bring.

Don't know about Southern California but up here in the SF bay area, they are putting in toll lanes charged by number of passengers and people will need a FastTrac card so I don't think many people think this HOV single driver program will last much longer. If you can use the lanes now, I'd say get the purple ones. Who knows what 2023 will bring.

If you go online what the HOV sticker will allow you in these new lanes in CA is to set to 3 passengers on the flex transponder when driving in these new lanes even if it’s not just one person.

So it will be cheaper to drive in the lane but you’ll still pay.

I sure like out HOV "stickers" a LOT better.:eek::D
IMG_0627.jpeg
IMG_0641.jpeg

I couldn't agree more! Hopefully Cali goes to a plate like that or a registration sticker for the plates. Our stickers look ridiculous and even with a removable backing, I'm not looking forward to seeing purple tags on the dark metallic blue.:eek: Ughh :(

Reactions: SMAlset
I couldn't agree more! Hopefully Cali goes to a plate like that or a registration sticker for the plates. Our stickers look ridiculous and even with a removable backing, I'm not looking forward to seeing purple tags on the dark metallic blue.:eek: Ughh :(
This is actually not such a bad combination (especially if you trim the white border a bit). But seeing the purple stickers on red cars causes a headache for me. ;)

Reactions: Kleenerth3
This go around white cars I think look the best with the lavender stickers but I still hate the thought of putting them on.

Calif has way more cars than Georgia so since plates stay with the car the most economical path would be stickers. Easy to produce and mail out when the owner decides he/she needs the benefit plus Calif has eliminated cars from participating after so many years or when tech has advanced enough to promote more EV friendlier cars.

It will all be gone at some point.

I'd rat
This go around white cars I think look the best with the lavender stickers but I still hate the thought of putting them on.

Calif has way more cars than Georgia so since plates stay with the car the most economical path would be stickers. Easy to produce and mail out when the owner decides he/she needs the benefit plus Calif has eliminated cars from participating after so many years or when tech has advanced enough to promote more EV friendlier cars.

It will all be gone at some point.
I'd rather put a sticker on the license plate, even if it has to go front and rear. I can't stand it on the freaking paint! Like you said, won't matter too much longer anyways...:(

Just picked up my model 3 a week ago. I know the approx. wait time for a hov sticker is ~2 months. Is it better to just wait for the 2020 sticker since the purple sticker expires 1/1/2023 or is there a time limit in which I have to apply for it? Thanks
I would wait until next year's sticker.

For me, since I travel so little during HOV restricted hours anyway, I bought my Bolt in Jan 2019 and I'm waiting probably beyond even next year to apply, keeping in mind that Sept 30, 2025 end date.

If I get them now or even next year with my current job and commute, I'm having the expiration clock needlessly tick. It's possible I could change jobs (or lose my current one) or move somewhere where the HOV stickers would help. Or, I could need to sell my car for some reason (e.g. moving somewhere w/no charging and new job w/no charging).

Last edited: