Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV use - Fast Trak in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow I am super confused. What If I take a toll road in CA on accident with no responder? They used to let you pay at the end of the road, but this is no longer in place correct? So I just get a fine now?

Also, I'm planning a trip to Evasive Motorsports sometime in the near future. It looks like I will take the 5 the whole way. But on the way back we will likely hit The Bruery for some bottles which means I need to take the 91 east and then the 57. Do I need a transponder for those freeways? What if I have someone with me?

Wow I am super confused. What If I take a toll road in CA on accident with no responder? They used to let you pay at the end of the road, but this is no longer in place correct? So I just get a fine now?

Also, I'm planning a trip to Evasive Motorsports sometime in the near future. It looks like I will take the 5 the whole way. But on the way back we will likely hit The Bruery for some bottles which means I need to take the 91 east and then the 57. Do I need a transponder for those freeways? What if I have someone with me?

Just go here. You have 5 days to pay.

https://secure.thetollroads.com/violation/payTolls.do?cmd=gotoClear&skipMobileLandingPage=true

91 west of 57 is not fastrak. 57 isn't fastrak either.

To my knowledge, in California there is never a situation where someone who doesn't have a transponder will be forced to make a binary choice between (i) don't take the highway/bridge or (ii) pay a substantial fine.

On freeways with toll lanes, just stay in the normal lanes. For toll roads and toll bridges there is always either a cash toll booth (as on the Bay Bridge) or the ability to pay online after using the road (Golden Gate Bridge, OC Toll Roads). Paying cash or online costs a buck or two more per use than what folks with transponders pay, but it is a reasonable option if you don't use toll roadways much.

Note that if you are in a rental car, things get a bit more complicated. The rental car companies all have contracts with a company that will automatically charge your credit card when you use certain toll roads. As far as I know, the toll is the same as the cash toll. But they also charge a hefty daily service charge (sometimes for the entire length of the rental) if you incur any tolls. Also, this system works differently on different roads.

Dang! I should close my account here and just open one from the Bay Area.

Bay Area Fastrak threatens to charge a fee to folks who do that. Whether that fee will actually happen is anyone's guess. From the Bay Area Fastrak guide (https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/images/handbook.pdf ) :

"Will my FasTrak toll tag work on other California toll facilities? Yes. You can use FasTrak on several Southern California toll roads in Orange and Riverside counties (91 Express Lanes and the San Joaquin Hills, Foothill, and Eastern Toll Roads), San Diego County (Interstate 15 and South Bay Expressway), and Los Angeles (Metro Express Lanes on I-10 and I-110). It is your responsibility to know the toll rates and rules of each toll facility you use. State legislation ensures that all toll facilities in California have compatible FasTrak technology.

FasTrak customers should open their account with the toll facility of primary usage. Customers may be charged a service maintenance fee if it is determined that the majority of their toll activity occurs at another facility." (italics added)

Bay Area Fastrak threatens to charge a fee to folks who do that. Whether that fee will actually happen is anyone's guess. From the Bay Area Fastrak guide (https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/images/handbook.pdf ) :

"Will my FasTrak toll tag work on other California toll facilities? Yes. You can use FasTrak on several Southern California toll roads in Orange and Riverside counties (91 Express Lanes and the San Joaquin Hills, Foothill, and Eastern Toll Roads), San Diego County (Interstate 15 and South Bay Expressway), and Los Angeles (Metro Express Lanes on I-10 and I-110). It is your responsibility to know the toll rates and rules of each toll facility you use. State legislation ensures that all toll facilities in California have compatible FasTrak technology.

FasTrak customers should open their account with the toll facility of primary usage. Customers may be charged a service maintenance fee if it is determined that the majority of their toll activity occurs at another facility." (italics added)

Oh phooey! Fine I’ll pay the monthly fee here in so cal. That’s ok. I’m use to paying more than others for the same equivalent things anyways.

Note that if you are in a rental car, things get a bit more complicated. The rental car companies all have contracts with a company that will automatically charge your credit card when you use certain toll roads. As far as I know, the toll is the same as the cash toll. But they also charge a hefty daily service charge (sometimes for the entire length of the rental) if you incur any tolls. Also, this system works differently on different roads.

This was before, not sure how they do it now after they got hit and settled a lawsuit on this practice.

Hertz & ATS cut fees, to pay $3.65M to settle Golden Gate Bridge toll case - City Attorney of San Francisco

This was before, not sure how they do it now after they got hit and settled a lawsuit on this practice.

Hertz & ATS cut fees, to pay $3.65M to settle Golden Gate Bridge toll case - City Attorney of San Francisco

You're right. A quick survey of rental car websites shows that in Northern California the car companies (at least the ones I checked) now only charge a fee for each day on which a toll is incurred. There isn't a daily charge on days when no toll roads/bridges are used.

That said, it looks like the daily convenience fee is between $3.95 and $5.95 a day (depending on company) and is in addition to the actual toll amounts. That's still a pretty steep charge.

EDIT: Spoke too fast; looks like in the Bay Area Avis still charges on all days of a rental, even days where no toll is incurred. And that is the case for other companies when renting outside of California. So policies differ based on company used and state.

How does the new SoCal FasTrak sticker work for carpools etc? In NoCal we need the switchable transponder.
I was wondering the same thing. Doesn't look like there's any provision for it, so users who need a switchable would still need a switchable.

It looks like it's an ISO 18000-6C sticker -- the standard supports switchable, but I don't think there are any switchable stickers out there.

Oh phooey! Fine I’ll pay the monthly fee here in so cal. That’s ok. I’m use to paying more than others for the same equivalent things anyways.

You are in SoCal? Do you know that if you get a transporter from 91 ExpressLane, you don't have to pay monthly fee and you get free toll on the 91 (except 4pm-6pm on weekdays) on your EV. You need to setup a special access account (for EV) with them. I have been driving the 91 toll lane for free on my 2 Tesla's.

There are lights above the scanner that tells them what the switch is at. I wish there were more cops. It’s easy money. I see someone pulled over everyday on the 110 and every other day on the 10. I currently use both every day.
the lights are a form of flash....the camera takes pictures of your plate just in case you don't have one or it does not fire when you go thru.....pictures are clear and they will show if one, two or three are in the car

if you have an account and a transponder no problem....if you left it in the other car, they charge you by plate number....they take pictures