Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s my strategy for pushing order to 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered august 2. SR+, White ext with White int, standard wheels, no full self driving. I’m planning to pay with cash (getting loan elsewhere) and I live in Maine (not sure what delivery options look like…)

I’m interested to delay the purchase until 2022 (Two reasons: shoulder replacement, tax rebate possibilities, but the strategy is NOT the point of this post).

I spoke to support in September about my goals and the guy said “sr+ will not get to you before EOY. Don’t worry.”

My EDD was Nov3-dec 1. Figured it would push.

Then I started seeing July orders like mine (SR+ white white with aero wheels) being delivered and I became concerned.

I called again earlier this month to speak to support about my desire to delay the purchase until 2022

First guy said that i could freeze my account to effect a small delay (it would put me a little bit back in line but not all the way to end - like as if i cancelled and ordered again). However, he said that the freeze could only be extended until 90 days from order. He said this after consulting and he sent it in email.

He said that i would be notified by email on Oct 31 and that I’d i didn’t reactivate at that time “click ‘I’m ready’”, then my order would be cancelled.

He didn’t say how much time I would have to click the link and the timing didn’t really make sense, so I called to see if I could talk with him again to clarify.

I got someone else snd explained the whole thing. He said that he wanted to talk with his supervisor. After 15 minutes on hold, he said that they’d freeze my account until Dec 1. I asked about the 90 day thing and he said that he checked and this would be fine.

At this point, I was feeling like no one there really knows. I’m not sure what my options are,

I asked him why Dec 1 instead of Jan 1. He said that “it’s because your order date” and I asked what he meant. He then talked about how it would take a little time after 1st to get the VIN. I asked if dec 15th might be a little safer, but at this point I was t sure if he really knew and whether I was over staying my welcome…. I didn’t want him to turn on me, and felt like he didn’t really know anything anyhow.

So… all that said, I’m curious if anyone knows 1) Whether I’m at risk of having my order automatically cancelled if it’s in freeze status 90 days after order date and 2) if the freeze approach is a reasonable way to delay purchase. 3) what timing most likely would look like after I unfreeze on Dec 1, ie is there a high probability that i can delay my purchase to 2022 if i unfreeze Dec 1.

Any insights appreciated.

Tesla likes to deliver cars by the end of quarters, and that obviously would be december 31st. I suspect you will be heavily pushed to take delivery before the end of the year, even if you delay to december 1st.

I also suspect that no matter what you were told, eventually someone is likely going to contact you and tell you that your order will be cancelled if you dont accept it. Tesla doesnt want a bunch of people delaying orders because they "might" get a tax credit and are trying to double dip both a lower price and any potential tax credit.

Why YOU want to delay doesnt really matter, they are not going to want people in that circumstance and will push everyone with an order to take it, or move on to someone else who will.

Thats all just opinions though, I dont work for tesla or anything, but have seen how they work for the past couple years. Couple that with all sorts of people trying to come up with "reasons" why they want to delay orders (some real, some not) because they want to try to "eat their cake and have it too" (and yes I know that is not the way many people say that saying), anyone with real reasons for delaying is going to get caught up in the wash.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a Model 3 LR (current delivery estimates show December), but I need the delivery of the car in June as I'll be traveling for the next few months and am also changing states. Accounting for the time to find a new house, change my residential documents, etc its best for me to pick up the car in June, and I was wondering if Tesla would let me push the delivery date.

Having spoken to Tesla customer support, they asked me to put the down sometime in December , January and then ask them to "freeze" my account for a quarter, to match with a car sometime in June. Although this makes sense, I'm interested to put the down at the earliest as Tesla has increased the price of the car multiple times this year, and I'd prefer to not pay the excess.

Any suggestions about how I can "freeze" my account or keep it inactive for more than 6 months to push my delivery date to June? I've heard a few people do this during covid as they moved cities, but wanted to learn if it's still possible, and how to do it.

Thanks! And I'm excited to be part of the Tesla community soon

Upvote 0
Tesla likes to deliver cars by the end of quarters, and that obviously would be december 31st. I suspect you will be heavily pushed to take delivery before the end of the year, even if you delay to december 1st.

I also suspect that no matter what you were told, eventually someone is likely going to contact you and tell you that your order will be cancelled if you dont accept it. Tesla doesnt want a bunch of people delaying orders because they "might" get a tax credit and are trying to double dip both a lower price and any potential tax credit.

Why YOU want to delay doesnt really matter, they are not going to want people in that circumstance and will push everyone with an order to take it, or move on to someone else who will.

Thats all just opinions though, I dont work for tesla or anything, but have seen how they work for the past couple years. Couple that with all sorts of people trying to come up with "reasons" why they want to delay orders (some real, some not) because they want to try to "eat their cake and have it too" (and yes I know that is not the way many people say that saying), anyone with real reasons for delaying is going to get caught up in the wash.
Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a Model 3 LR (current delivery estimates show December), but I need the delivery of the car in June as I'll be traveling for the next few months and am also changing states. Accounting for the time to find a new house, change my residential documents, etc its best for me to pick up the car in June, and I was wondering if Tesla would let me push the delivery date.

Having spoken to Tesla customer support, they asked me to put the down sometime in December , January and then ask them to "freeze" my account for a quarter, to match with a car sometime in June. Although this makes sense, I'm interested to put the down at the earliest as Tesla has increased the price of the car multiple times this year, and I'd prefer to not pay the excess.

Any suggestions about how I can "freeze" my account or keep it inactive for more than 6 months to push my delivery date to June? I've heard a few people do this during covid as they moved cities, but wanted to learn if it's still possible, and how to do it.

Thanks! And I'm excited to be part of the Tesla community soon

(moderator note)

I moved this post into a thread asking the same general question.
============================

(regular post, not moderation content)

My opinion on this is in post #2. I havent heard anyone recently (as in this year) being able to lock in an order for a year, and there really isnt any reason for tesla to support anyone attempting to do that, with the demand they have.

Upvote 0
I ordered august 2. SR+, White ext with White int, standard wheels, no full self driving. I’m planning to pay with cash (getting loan elsewhere) and I live in Maine (not sure what delivery options look like…)

I’m interested to delay the purchase until 2022 (Two reasons: shoulder replacement, tax rebate possibilities, but the strategy is NOT the point of this post).

I spoke to support in September about my goals and the guy said “sr+ will not get to you before EOY. Don’t worry.”

Then I started seeing July orders like mine (SR+ white white with aero wheels) being delivered and I became concerned.

I called again earlier this month to speak to support about my desire to delay the purchase until 2022

First guy said that i could freeze my account to effect a small delay (it would put me a little bit back in line but not all the way to end - like as if i cancelled and ordered again). However, he said that the freeze could only be extended until 90 days from order. He said this after consulting and he sent it in email.

He said that i would be notified by email on Oct 31 and that I’d i didn’t reactivate at that time “click ‘I’m ready’”, then my order would be cancelled.

He didn’t say how much time I would have to click the link and the timing didn’t really make sense, so I called to see if I could talk with him again to clarify.

I got someone else snd explained the whole thing. He said that he wanted to talk with his supervisor. After 15 minutes on hold, he said that they’d freeze my account until Dec 1. I asked about the 90 day thing and he said that he checked and this would be fine.

At this point, I was feeling like no one there really knows. I’m not sure what my options are,

I asked him why Dec 1 instead of Jan 1. He said that “it’s because your order date” and I asked what he meant. He then talked about how it would take a little time after 1st to get the VIN. I asked if dec 15th might be a little safer, but at this point I was t sure if he really knew and whether I was over staying my welcome…. I didn’t want him to turn on me, and felt like he didn’t really know anything anyhow.

So… all that said, I’m curious if anyone knows 1) Whether I’m at risk of having my order automatically cancelled if it’s in freeze status 90 days after order date and 2) if the freeze approach is a reasonable way to delay purchase. 3) what timing most likely would look like after I unfreeze on Dec 1, ie is there a high probability that i can delay my purchase to 2022 if i unfreeze Dec 1.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if Tesla for any reason forces you to re-order, wouldn’t that cost you $4,000 more than your original order (due to the recent price increases)? So in this situation you have a best possible outcome where you pay the original lower price and also receive $7,500 in rebates. But also a worst possible outcome where you pay $4,000 more than your original order price and then get no rebates at all. And a couple of in between possibilities where you get the rebates but pay $4,000 more, or you pay the original lower order price but get no rebate.

The price increases really change everything from my point of view. I would be inclined to try to wangle the rebate if all I was risking was the $250 order fee. And then of course nobody yet knows the final details of the rebates or whether they will survive all the political wrangling. The news today was leaning toward something getting passed by the end of the coming week. Maybe you could at least remove one uncertainty in your decision by simply waiting another week or so to see for sure what happens with the rebate legislation...

Upvote 0
I’m taking a different approach. If it comes in 2021 and they contact you for delivery just tell them you’re out of the country and can’t make the pick up. They’re give it to someone else and you’ll be next in line. Happens all the time. Much easier than trying to be proactive.

Upvote 0

The reason you can't get a straight answer, is because under the order agreement Tesla will give you up to 30 days to delay delivery. That's it.

Everything else, is an employee making an exception to the agreement you signed when you ordered your car. Maybe they'll keep doing it, maybe they wont. The agreement says that after 30 days they cancel your order and keep the order fee.

Upvote 0
The reason you can't get a straight answer, is because under the order agreement Tesla will give you up to 30 days to delay delivery. That's it.

Everything else, is an employee making an exception to the agreement you signed when you ordered your car. Maybe they'll keep doing it, maybe they wont. The agreement says that after 30 days they cancel your order and keep the order fee.
30 days from when?

Upvote 0
From my order agreement:

"if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first atempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."
From the day they notify me that the car is ready, correct? This doesn’t seem to have anything to do with my questions related to freezing the order, the automatic cancellation after 90 days from order, etc. Am I missing something?

Tesla has not contacted me to tell me that my car is ready.

Upvote 0
I wonder if Tesla has any standardized policy regarding this matter. Likely not, and if you made 100 calls you’d probably have receive as many conflicting answers as you have already gotten. If you could reach the right Tesla person who is in the right mood, at the right time, I suspect you might succeed in getting what you want. But the right time is probably not going to be now. Any Tesla person you talk to now could tell you they have set you up just right and that you are golden and everything is roses and you will get your car on January 2, 2022. Then when the car is ready to be delivered in November that original person has flown to the Riviera and the new person you are talking to thinks you’re nuts. The right person would have to be somebody you could count on calling a couple months from now to follow up with you on whatever they have promised.

Upvote 0
If history repeats itself you will see two scenarios. There will be a strong push to get every US delivery possible before EOY. Then production will be vectored to the rest of the World to stack things up for deliveries prior to first Q 2022. Most likely this will push your delivery into Spring 2022. There were many posts on this issue last year, and the year before.

Gaming deliveries involve so many variables, and may be even more so in the new future due to parts shortages. Best to take delivery when you are notified that your car is ready.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Upvote 0
From the day they notify me that the car is ready, correct? This doesn’t seem to have anything to do with my questions related to freezing the order, the automatic cancellation after 90 days from order, etc. Am I missing something?

Tesla has not contacted me to tell me that my car is ready.

Right, but there's literally nothing written about freezing an order. When you order a car you agree to buy a car as configured as soon as they can match you with one.

Anything other than that is a Tesla employee making an exception to the legal agreement you signed.

Upvote 0

"Order Process; Cancellation; Changes. After you submit your completed order, we will begin the process of preparing and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. At this point, you agree that any paid Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation fee have been earned. If you cancel your order or breach
this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee, to
the extent not otherwise prohibited by law. You acknowledge that the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee are a fair and reasonable
estimate of the actual damages we have incurred or may incur in transporting, remarketing, and reselling the Vehicle, costs which are otherwise
impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement. The Order Fee, Order Deposit, Transportation Fee and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract."

It sounds like kicking the can down the road WRT a delivery date gives Tesla the right to change your order price. Tesla being Tesla, they may not always do so consistently.

Upvote 0

"Order Process; Cancellation; Changes. After you submit your completed order, we will begin the process of preparing and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. At this point, you agree that any paid Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation fee have been earned. If you cancel your order or breach
this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee, to
the extent not otherwise prohibited by law. You acknowledge that the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee are a fair and reasonable
estimate of the actual damages we have incurred or may incur in transporting, remarketing, and reselling the Vehicle, costs which are otherwise
impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement. The Order Fee, Order Deposit, Transportation Fee and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract."

It sounds like kicking the can down the road WRT a delivery date gives Tesla the right to change your order price. Tesla being Tesla, they may not always do so consistently.
Thx

Upvote 0
I want the tax credit if the bill passes. It seems now is the right time to click on the "I'm Ready" button since Tesla allows 30 days to take delivery.
+1 I am in the same boat. Have below questions.
1. If I hit I am ready button and Tesla immediately assigns me a VIN (which is highly likely in my region). What will be the usual timeline between vin assignment and 3day delivery window? I am in the west coast.
2. How lenient Tesla is in extending the delivery window if my third party auto finance is taking longer to finalize my loan?
3. Incase they make me pick up the car, what if there are issues with the car? Will they cancel my order if I don’t accept the delivery because of the issues? Or they will ask me to take the delivery and then come back for an appointment to fix them?

FYI : I am making peanuts in my job and only way to afford Tesla model 3 is to count on tax credits and DCU 1.24% loan. If I am going to get bankrupt, I will do that in my Tesla 😂

Upvote 0
I want the tax credit if the bill passes. It seems now is the right time to click on the "I'm Ready" button since Tesla allows 30 days to take delivery.
I just did that yesterday to remove the vehicle from "Hold" because I was afraid of waiting too long and end up being pushed towards end of Q1 delivery. I just got an estimated delivery date of Dec 29-31 :|
But that is an estimate to deliver it to Lynwood, WA, not Anchorage, AK

I will wait to see how this plays out, if I get assigned a VIN and get asked to make the payment, I will have to chat with them. I am traveling out of the country soon for a family event so I can't really take delivery before January.

• Informative
Reactions: alset3000
Upvote 0
+1 I am in the same boat. Have below questions.
1. If I hit I am ready button and Tesla immediately assigns me a VIN (which is highly likely in my region). What will be the usual timeline between vin assignment and 3day delivery window? I am in the west coast.
2. How lenient Tesla is in extending the delivery window if my third party auto finance is taking longer to finalize my loan?
3. Incase they make me pick up the car, what if there are issues with the car? Will they cancel my order if I don’t accept the delivery because of the issues? Or they will ask me to take the delivery and then come back for an appointment to fix them?

FYI : I am making peanuts in my job and only way to afford Tesla model 3 is to count on tax credits and DCU 1.24% loan. If I am going to get bankrupt, I will do that in my Tesla 😂
Generally speaking, you could request to be reassigned a new vehicle since you would not be able to take delivery this month.

Upvote 0