Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’sm the wall the creep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
I live in a house with a very small garage. Doing the measurements, the M3 will only have .5” of space on the front and .5” of space at rear when the garage is closed.
I have a laser pointer that I will guide me when to stop from hitting the wall.

My question is, how slow is the creep setting? I basically want it to crawl to prevent me from hitting the wall.
If I don’t enable creep, is the acceleration too jumpy? We’re half an inch from the wall.
Thanks

With so little space (I would call it zero), I think the best answer is to put something soft (and thin) at the front of the garage with a switch and lamp on it. Bring the car forward until it hits (softly) and turns on the lamp. At that point, you should have something like 0.75" of space in the rear.

But seriously, either park outside, or remodel the garage to make it a bit bigger. The garage is just too small. Maybe just don't close the door and / or put an awning over the entrance? Are there any restrictions that would prevent you from attaching the garage door to a frame that is, say, a foot or two out from the face of the current structure?

Or, buy a Roadster :)

If I don’t enable creep, is the acceleration too jumpy? We’re half an inch from the wall.
Thanks

Not at all. that was the first thing I noticed during my first ever Tesla test drive. Having heard and seen the videos of Tesla beating out supercars on the drag strip, I had a huge concern about how easy it is to make the car jump.

Turns out, the pedal is so smooth and gradual. You really have to step deep into it to get the car moving fast. The smoothness of the pedal cannot be overstated. I have fine control at the inch level when I'm trying to pull in without hitting one of my kids' toys.

This smoothness extends across S, 3, X models.

the M3 will only have .5” of space on the front and .5” of space at rear when the garage is closed.

Not sure what your garage looks like, but if it's drywalled, you can gain another 0.5" if you remove the drywall in front of the car bumper :D

Is your garage floor level? Mine is pitched downward toward the garage doors to encourage melted snow to roll out on its own. Given your tight clearances, it might be more tricky (but still doable) if the car wants to roll back on its own due to a slope. I'm pretty good at feathering the accelerator to keep the car motionless on an incline. again, amazing control with this pedal.

I’m in a similar situation but with a bit more room to play with. I have a laser spotter too that came with our door opener.

It’s simple to creep either direction at 1 mph or less from a stop.

My garage slopes backward slightly so when I hit my mark I apply the brake to stay put then hit Park. The car doesn’t move that way.