Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s my strategy for pushing order to 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered august 2. SR+, White ext with White int, standard wheels, no full self driving. I’m planning to pay with cash (getting loan elsewhere) and I live in Maine (not sure what delivery options look like…)

I’m interested to delay the purchase until 2022 (Two reasons: shoulder replacement, tax rebate possibilities, but the strategy is NOT the point of this post).

I spoke to support in September about my goals and the guy said “sr+ will not get to you before EOY. Don’t worry.”

My EDD was Nov3-dec 1. Figured it would push.

Then I started seeing July orders like mine (SR+ white white with aero wheels) being delivered and I became concerned.

I called again earlier this month to speak to support about my desire to delay the purchase until 2022

First guy said that i could freeze my account to effect a small delay (it would put me a little bit back in line but not all the way to end - like as if i cancelled and ordered again). However, he said that the freeze could only be extended until 90 days from order. He said this after consulting and he sent it in email.

He said that i would be notified by email on Oct 31 and that I’d i didn’t reactivate at that time “click ‘I’m ready’”, then my order would be cancelled.

He didn’t say how much time I would have to click the link and the timing didn’t really make sense, so I called to see if I could talk with him again to clarify.

I got someone else snd explained the whole thing. He said that he wanted to talk with his supervisor. After 15 minutes on hold, he said that they’d freeze my account until Dec 1. I asked about the 90 day thing and he said that he checked and this would be fine.

At this point, I was feeling like no one there really knows. I’m not sure what my options are,

I asked him why Dec 1 instead of Jan 1. He said that “it’s because your order date” and I asked what he meant. He then talked about how it would take a little time after 1st to get the VIN. I asked if dec 15th might be a little safer, but at this point I was t sure if he really knew and whether I was over staying my welcome…. I didn’t want him to turn on me, and felt like he didn’t really know anything anyhow.

So… all that said, I’m curious if anyone knows 1) Whether I’m at risk of having my order automatically cancelled if it’s in freeze status 90 days after order date and 2) if the freeze approach is a reasonable way to delay purchase. 3) what timing most likely would look like after I unfreeze on Dec 1, ie is there a high probability that i can delay my purchase to 2022 if i unfreeze Dec 1.

Any insights appreciated.

+1 I am in the same boat. Have below questions.
1. If I hit I am ready button and Tesla immediately assigns me a VIN (which is highly likely in my region). What will be the usual timeline between vin assignment and 3day delivery window? I am in the west coast.
2. How lenient Tesla is in extending the delivery window if my third party auto finance is taking longer to finalize my loan?
3. Incase they make me pick up the car, what if there are issues with the car? Will they cancel my order if I don’t accept the delivery because of the issues? Or they will ask me to take the delivery and then come back for an appointment to fix them?

FYI : I am making peanuts in my job and only way to afford Tesla model 3 is to count on tax credits and DCU 1.24% loan. If I am going to get bankrupt, I will do that in my Tesla 😂

I asked myself the exact same questions in my reply here. I was planning on taking mine off hold yesterday, but chickened out. I think I'm gonna wait for another couple of weeks.

Upvote 0
I ordered a M3 LR AWD about a week or so ago with an initial delivery date in Feb/Mar which suited me fine. I happened to check my status today and see an EDD between Dec 17-31. Not what I was expecting. Would like to take delivery after Jan 1st hoping for 2022 EV tax credit. Should I wait and see what happens or reach out to a local Tesla sales rep to see what my options are? Any suggestions appreciated.

Rick

Reactions: alset3000
Upvote 0
Update: I got a text yesterday 12/3 saying that my car is ready for scheduling delivery.

I’m looking to push purchase into 2022 to preserve best chance for rebate (if they pass).

This is silly but so haven’t clicked on the scheduling link yet because I want to slow it all down. I figure they will hit me again to move me along….

My understanding is that I can wait up to 30 days from the day I received text, so that would be Jan 2 2022.

Hope that’s right. Any insights appreciated. (What is behind the link they sent? My credit app from Tesla has expired so I need to either redo or say that I’m paying cash). I figured that also could slow me down a bit.

The truth is that Im not supposed to drive until Im out of my sling on 12/30.

Upvote 0
The link will give you a 3 day window to select when you want to pick up the car. I didnt select a time and the next day no times were available. The day after i got another email to select and only one day and time was available for a short while before nothing was available again. Told them I was waiting for my car sale to process and they gave me a 30 day hold.

If you havent done a hold yet just tell them you cant drive till you get medically cleared

Upvote 0
I want the tax credit if the bill passes. It seems now is the right time to click on the "I'm Ready" button since Tesla allows 30 days to take delivery.
I placed an order for Model 3 the same day the bill cleared in the house. Figured I was safe for a 2020 delivery as the date at that time was June 2020 for a rear drive white with sport wheels. Within a few days the delivery was moved up to March 2020, so still safe for 2020 delivery. Then I got a delivery window of 22 Dec - 31 Dec. While it was nice to have the delivery moved up almost 7 months it was before Dec 31. When I asked if I could move the delivery date JUST one day to 1 Jan 2022, this was the response. "Most likely, we wouldn't be able to hold the car that gets assigned towards the end of Dec as we do not schedule anything after the 31st. If you do delay delivery, I couldn't say when we would have another car VIN assigned". I decided to take delivery and fingers crossed that it might be past 31 Dec. If not happy to have a car so much sooner and the pending bill is still very much up in the air. I did confirm this car is a 2020, but will not have the PPF batteries as they said that hasn't happened yet.

Upvote 0
My account shows I can hold til June 1, 2022. I got an email saying I must hit "I'm ready" by 12/9 or my order will be canceled and deposit forfeited. Today I got a text saying the same but also added that if I attempt a new hold it will automatically cancel as well and 12/9 is the drop dead date to hit I'm ready. They are not playing around. Seems they are trying to avoid us waiting on the potential rebates/credits while keeping the lower price.

I'm probably just going to cancel this one and re-reserve. I think it's showing June 2022 if I reserve a base model 3 now. Sucks to wait but probably worth it in my case.

Upvote 0
My account shows I can hold til June 1, 2022. I got an email saying I must hit "I'm ready" by 12/9 or my order will be canceled and deposit forfeited. Today I got a text saying the same but also added that if I attempt a new hold it will automatically cancel as well and 12/9 is the drop dead date to hit I'm ready. They are not playing around. Seems they are trying to avoid us waiting on the potential rebates/credits while keeping the lower price.

I'm probably just going to cancel this one and re-reserve. I think it's showing June 2022 if I reserve a base model 3 now. Sucks to wait but probably worth it in my case.
In my post I had 2020 typo's as I meant 2022. Anyway, this morning the 22 Dec -31 Dec window changed back to March 2022. So longer wait, but may be batter for tax credits. I did confirm that the car for delivery in December would NOT have LFP batteries, but would be a 2022 model. Wondering when the battery change will occur? I was using a trade in, so not sure if my trade in value will still be good with the new date moved back out 3 months. . . guessing a new evaluation may be needed.

Upvote 0

Why do you believe it is worth it? I am in same boat but for model y. Car has went up 4k since I ordered in late august

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
In my post I had 2020 typo's as I meant 2022. Anyway, this morning the 22 Dec -31 Dec window changed back to March 2022. So longer wait, but may be batter for tax credits. I did confirm that the car for delivery in December would NOT have LFP batteries, but would be a 2022 model. Wondering when the battery change will occur? I was using a trade in, so not sure if my trade in value will still be good with the new date moved back out 3 months. . . guessing a new evaluation may be needed.
How did you delay delivery? I got same email and I ordered in august 21

Upvote 0
How did you delay delivery? I got same email and I ordered in august 21
I asked for a one day delay from Dec 31 to 1 Jan, but received a negative response. Worded very nicely but date wasn't moved. Then a couple days later the date changed for unknown reasons to March 9th 2022. My advisor said that the dates are established by the factory and could move in either direction.

Upvote 0
My thoughts are the price of the 3 will go up again soon. So losing my $250 and spending another $250, I'd probably still save money and for sure get it later next year when any sort of rebate is hopefully in play agai
I asked for a one day delay from Dec 31 to 1 Jan, but received a negative response. Worded very nicely but date wasn't moved. Then a couple days later the date changed for unknown reasons to March 9th 2022. My advisor said that the dates are established by the factory and could move in either direction.
Ah wow ok so still a change to capture any sort of tax rebate

Upvote 0
Having a VIN is not an issue until they assign you a delivery pick-up window. Once they contact you for scheduling, they will give you a 3 day window to pick-up. You must take delivery within that window or they will unmatch you from the VIN and place your account on hold. Even with proof that we would be out of town for XMAS, they would not budge so went on a hold for up to 30 days. They took off our VIN and will give to another customer. When asked how long it would take to get matched to a new VIN when coming off hold, they estimated immediately - February.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having a VIN is not an issue until they assign you a delivery pick-up window. Once they contact you for scheduling, they will give you a 3 day window to pick-up. You must take delivery within that window or they will unmatch you from the VIN and place your account on hold. Even with proof that we would be out of town for XMAS, they would not budge so went on a hold for up to 30 days. They took off our VIN and will give to another customer.

Wow thats crazy. So pretty much there is zero leeway.

I guess my only chance is that somehow the delivery date gets pushed by a week or a few days. However given the fact that that every company wants to finish Q4 strong thats unlikely. I am however on east coast and car is manufactured in CA. Don't know if that matters much?

Upvote 0