Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s the wait going for the Aussie 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure that we will see the model 3 here in 2019.
Nor can any of us be. But if it's not, the longer the wait the greater the range of alternatives. I've waited for the Fluence ZE and e-Golf and now I wait for the M3. At least the M3 will come here...sometime. My next car will be an EV one way or the other. In the meantime my deposit is my contribution to making it happen sooner. Whether it's a Tesla M3 or a Honda Urban EV...time will tell right ;)

There'd be nothing more Oz than a pool based on the date of the first Australian M3 invitation email :cool: Until the Indian bookies find a way to hijack it of course.

9th Dec is the date the S was first delivered here and I think the day Ray got his car, hence his trolling with this date. Although I hope it will be earlier I suspect I will wait unless the 3 has already had some major upgrade, the S was delayed here due to autopilot being announced before the first cars had been delivered and they remade them pushing back delivery a few months. Hopefully an upgraded battery will be available although after the earnings call I fear this may not be till 2020.

I am not confident any other EV will be available in any significant numbers before the 3 is available, the Leaf and Ionic have been delayed and are struggling for supply in existing markets, the IPace doesn’t appear to be available in large enough quantities either (less than 20K globally?), others are not due to next year overseas so probably 2020 here at the earliest.Model Y probably won’t get here to 9th Dec 2021 or sometime in 2022.

Regardless it seems we won’t have many EV’s here till the total cost of ownership is reduced Australia EV uptake hindered by long road to price parity

If Ray can keep trolling his date then I’ll keep trolling mine... 17 August 2019, which is 1234 days after the first reservations were taken.

Suggestions that we won’t see Model 3 in 2019 are I think absurdly pessimistic. No way Tesla would let the first reservers in the world (i.e. us) wait nearly 4 years for our cars. That would even be a year and a half longer than the wait we had for Model X. Elon would be personally embarrassed.

Mid 2019 is still a painfully long wait, but July/August 2019 is locked in I reckon, barring something very very weird or unexpected happening.

If Ray can keep trolling his date then I’ll keep trolling mine... 17 August 2019, which is 1234 days after the first reservations were taken.

Suggestions that we won’t see Model 3 in 2019 are I think absurdly pessimistic. No way Tesla would let the first reservers in the world (i.e. us) wait nearly 4 years for our cars. That would even be a year and a half longer than the wait we had for Model X. Elon would be personally embarrassed.

Mid 2019 is still a painfully long wait, but July/August 2019 is locked in I reckon, barring something very very weird or unexpected happening.
Only 4 years; how long did the first reservers wait for the S?

So you guys are pitching dates that you'll receive delivery rather than when we'll be asked to configure. That being the case, my date is Monday July 22.

BTW has any lobby group that you know of chased our government at any stage about swapping to the other side of the road?

So you guys are pitching dates that you'll receive delivery rather than when we'll be asked to configure. That being the case, my date is Monday July 22.

BTW has any lobby group that you know of chased our government at any stage about swapping to the other side of the road?
For the X, configuration was June 2016 and delivery early Feb 17. Of course less demand for X than for M3 given the growth in Tesla awareness and the price.

As to swapping, I'm only aware of the Nordic countries doing so, and that was nearly a century ago, before many cars, let alone billion dollar freeways, etc etc with exits all assuming we drive on the left. With Japan, India, parts of Africa and of course the UK all on the left, I think the view is that there is enough critical mass of large population countries for RHD vehicles to survive.

For the X, configuration was June 2016 and delivery early Feb 17. Of course less demand for X than for M3 given the growth in Tesla awareness and the price.

As to swapping, I'm only aware of the Nordic countries doing so, and that was nearly a century ago, before many cars, let alone billion dollar freeways, etc etc with exits all assuming we drive on the left. With Japan, India, parts of Africa and of course the UK all on the left, I think the view is that there is enough critical mass of large population countries for RHD vehicles to survive.

Sweden switched in 1967, it took 4 years of promotion and awareness campaigns before the overnight change, when you consider all the road markings and traffic signs that needed changing it was a mighty effort.
As I would expect all driving on Australian roads to be off limits to humans in 30 years a change here would be of less benefit.

Reactions: baillies
When cars are fully autonomous it won’t matter any more which side of the road we drive on. It would be too costly to change all the signs and intersections, so we’ll stay on the left, but from the vehicle’s perspective it’s just a software switch.

As to swapping, I'm only aware of the Nordic countries doing so, and that was nearly a century ago, before many cars, let alone billion dollar freeways, etc etc with exits all assuming we drive on the left.
The most recent country to switch was Samoa in 2009. And interestingly they went the other way to what people would assume - they went from driving on the right to driving on the left. They wanted to align with the majority of Pacific countries.

No, and what a phenomenal waste of money that would be. There are far more important things to expend our limited time and resources on.
Ah that old chestnut. The relative importance depends entirely on our national priorities - which I expect the myopic peanuts in Canberra maintain as a blank list to avoid having anything to benchmark them against.

I was more interested to hear if it's ever been tabled. There would have been advantages in the past but agree ongoing as humans are taken out of driving the benefits diminish. It would be politically courageous to raise, so I'm not surprised it hasn't been.

I can configure already. :D However, it seems to be a glitch as I made my reservation while in the US.

I am not cancelling the reservation as Tesla FAQ advises that I need to change my address (which I have done) and then contact customer support.

I have relocated to a different state or country since placing my Model 3 reservation. How can I update my address?
You can update your registration address in your Tesla Account.

If you have moved to another country, you will not lose your place in line, but your move may impact delivery timing as Model 3 is delivered in your market. For help updating your Tesla Account, please contact Customer Support.

Now that automobiles are common in every country and road transport is relatively mature there won’t be any more changing to which side they drive. Is set in stone now. All the countries that wished to change have done so already and most had changed when traffic was still relatively light compared to now.