Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s the wait going for the Aussie 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone can't wait, I'm reluctantly selling my S70.

Tesla Model S70 for sale Sydney Australia

With my calculations on the price of a model 3 in AU I'm starting to get cold feed and consider used S' or maybe a Kona next year.
I really like the look of the 3 but I don't think it's worth $80-90k for a reasonable fit out. The Kona is nowhere near as high spec'd but it looks like it'll be a lot more affordable.

Just a few months ago there was a reasonably low km 2015 S P85DL, fully optioned, moved in adelaide for ~$100k. That would have been a good buy. It's only a matter of time until the 'new look' S with AP2 start to become a reasonable second hand choice. Still a bit too much for me to buy sensibly though.

I'm hanging on to my reservation still with intention of getting the 3, but it needs to come in at a reasonable price and it needs CCS 2, otherwise I'll have to bow out. Time will tell!

Although the Kona will be cheaper than the three, It just won't come up to the three's spec.
Why would you want CCS2?

Kona will be nowhere near the 3 spec, but if we're talking about a $30k price difference, I could live with that. Maybe.

CCS2 is the standard for public fast charging. Having CCS 2 means you get supercharging + public fast charging. i plan to keep the car for a long time and don't want to be locked out of public fast chargers. I think it probably will get it, because it will be a major issue for Europe if it doesn't.

Kona will be nowhere near the 3 spec, but if we're talking about a $30k price difference, I could live with that. Maybe.

CCS2 is the standard for public fast charging. Having CCS 2 means you get supercharging + public fast charging. i plan to keep the car for a long time and don't want to be locked out of public fast chargers. I think it probably will get it, because it will be a major issue for Europe if it doesn't.
We in NZ have just landed the Kona EV, see below.

EV Talk's June Magazine here: http://ebooks.edocumentonline.com/autotalk/evtalk_june18.pdf

Reactions: alexeiw123

On current indications, the three will be just less than $55k in Oz and the Kona the same.
Three doesn't have CCS2 but will probably get an adapter.

To get back to Tesla delivery times and the Tesla vs other EV debate. I would think EV infrastructure would be a majot factor to consider. Other than Queensland and WA, do any other states have a decent network to support non Tesla EV charging?
NRMA the NSW motoring association has announced that they will be building a Quick charging network in the state.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...st-fast-charging-network.100487/#post-2371138
First to open will be Jindabyne.

On current indications, the three will be just less than $55k in Oz and the Kona the same.
Three doesn't have CCS2 but will probably get an adapter.

My calcs have the model 3 base at $59k AUD with the current exchange rate. Rumours I've heard are that the high range version of the Kona will be less than that. I'll be very very surprised if Tesla don't fill that blank space in the charging door with a CCS2 port in the model 3. Of course the S and X are harder and would need a redesign to fit the socket.

Check out this map: CCS/Combo Charge Map - Europe - that's the euro charge network Tesla owners miss out on without CCS2. We don't have many here yet but the network will grow quickly. Supercharger network may be the most comprehensive DC network today but for a 10 year purchase I want to cover my bases.

My calcs have the model 3 base at $59k AUD with the current exchange rate. Rumours I've heard are that the high range version of the Kona will be less than that. I'll be very very surprised if Tesla don't fill that blank space in the charging door with a CCS2 port in the model 3. Of course the S and X are harder and would need a redesign to fit the socket.

Check out this map: CCS/Combo Charge Map - Europe - that's the euro charge network Tesla owners miss out on without CCS2. We don't have many here yet but the network will grow quickly. Supercharger network may be the most comprehensive DC network today but for a 10 year purchase I want to cover my bases.
tesla owners don't miss out, they get chademo adapter, its like having the cake and eating it too.
Australia is within the Japan China automobile scene, Mitsubishi and Tesla combined make up over 80% of plugin vehicle sales
Culmulative to 2017, Australia had
309 bmw i3 sales
vs 2,426 LEAF, iMiEV, Outlnader PHEV sales
vs ??? Tesla sale

it pretty grim for sustainably paying for DC infrastructure, Tesla is the best, but the vehicle sales standard is Chademo and will remain so.

tesla owners don't miss out, they get chademo adapter, its like having the cake and eating it too.

The CHAdeMO adaptor is an optional paid extra that the general car shopper will have no knowledge of until they find they can't charge and currently it is non-compatible with the model 3.

Mitsubishi and Tesla combined make up over 80% of plugin vehicle sales

Sales are in such infancy it's hard to say how that will project in to the future. It looks like Hyundai is going to land in Australia in a big way with EVs, not to mention Jag.

but the vehicle sales standard is Chademo and will remain so.

The vehicle standard is CCS2/CHAdeMO in AU but in Europe it's very much CCS2, with very little CHAdeMO going forward.

Tesla made the right choices with their network as it was when they started rolling out the supercharger network but they now need to make their cars compatible with public charging standards or they will become the 'lightning plug' walled garden approach which I loathe to support. Tesla have a good opportunity though as a CCS2 compatible port can keep compatibility with the existing supercharger network.

europe is not australia,
upload_2018-6-18_11-0-53.png

CHAdeMO is fighting back = I thought I could write it off three years ago.

not fighting back, its just that CCS is so.....

reality check, look at the latest for best selling EVs.
EV Sales: Global May '18 Top 5 - Mid game bet
upload_2018-6-19_10-18-22.png

no1, is the CAN bus based Chinese standard
no2, is the CAN bus based Japanese global standard
no3, is the CAN bus based Japanese global standard
no4, is the CAN bus based propriety global Tesla standard
no5, no6 is the Chinese......

there is no forgiveness, to sell in China requires adoption of the CAN bus based Chinese standard, Tesla SC, Chademo, China GBT are all related and all at scale.

the mess of the willing (Tesla SC, Chademo, China GBT) keeps on outselling the coalition of the unwilling (CCS)

We in NZ have just landed the Kona EV, see below.

EV Talk's June Magazine here: http://ebooks.edocumentonline.com/autotalk/evtalk_june18.pdf

I feel torn re the Kona vs Model 3. I’ve driven Ioniq extensively and sat in a Model 3 and if these cars are even priced within $10k if each other you would be silly not to take the Model 3. Not too many Konas being produced either.

That said, FX fluctuations could make Model 3 unaffordable in 2 years time....