Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s the yoke steering wheel feel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone lucky enough to be one of the 25 deliveries from the event, got to test drive, or are getting delivery soon, how’s that steering wheel actually feel?

I’m sure it’s great when on the track and highway, but I’m more curious about everyday driving. Maneuvering into or backing out of parking spots, your garage, various tight turns in the city, etc. where you’d normally cross your hands when turning the wheel a large degree.

That looks incredibly awkward. I notice your hand keeps trying to do hand over hand and grabs empty air.

I think it's an inconvenience.

Right now, the hands don't look effortless on the yoke because half of the circle is missing.

With the full circle, the hands have the option to control or just hover anywhere on the full circle.

But humans are adaptable so I think we can find ways to work with the yoke.

It doesn't kill us but it only takes a little more effort to learn how to look effortless soon.

Reactions: Yuri_G and Itsame
The nice thing about the yoke is it forces you to keep two hands on the wheel, even during turns. The one main benefit of it is that you have clear visibility for the instrument cluster. I think it will take a little getting used to, but should be fine after driving it for a week or two. I read the Motortrend review and they were complaining about looking over their shoulder backing up. Tesla has a plethora of cameras and a giant screen to help with backing up. Why would you look out of a tiny glass window. People are always hesitant to change. So many people complained about EV cars when they first came out. Look at us now. For those that really can't get over the yoke, I guess you can cancel your order. That way the rest of us can get our cars sooner ;)

...Tesla has a plethora of cameras and a giant screen to help with backing up. Why would you look out of a tiny glass window. People are always hesitant to change...

Change for less. With the rounded wheel, drivers have lots of options. They don't even need to look at the steering wheel and they can still know exactly where their hand positions are and how to control them.

With the Yoke, drivers have fewer options and need to make sure they catch the remaining half of a circle.

Some may learn soon enough that the giant screen was built with obsolescence in its mind as explained by the Tesla Counsel in the old S and X that they do die:

"given a reasonable average daily use of 1.4 cycles, the expected life would be 5-6 years"

Just right in time after the new car warranty expires!

The yoke forces us into fewer options and when the giant screen dies, make sure your hands are not chopped off when the yoke recoils back, spinning back after turning it several rounds to back up your car in place.

The angst about this is interesting. My wife worked with a woman that felt she could not tell time on a square faced watch. Guess this is kind of the same.

I do see that it will take some adjustment but pretty sure I'll like it long term. Especially when I'm in FSD!

after about an hour I’m beginning to get used to it and actually like it.
giphy.webp

after about an hour I’m beginning to get used to it and actually like it.
It prevent 10&2, and 11&1 hand position, forcing 9&3, which is the "correct way" to hold steering wheel during drive, for maximum leverage and precision. As taught in any advanced driving school.

I've had number of emergency breaking and steering exercises that have proven me beyond shadow of doubt this is correct.

It prevent 10&2, and 11&1 hand position, forcing 9&3, which is the "correct way" to hold steering wheel during drive, for maximum leverage and precision. As taught in any advanced driving school.
The yoke also forces you to turn hand over hand, which is not the correct way to turn a steering wheel. The correct way is to turn hand to hand while keeping both hands on the lower half of the steering wheel.

Motortrend - which is the most unbiased car magazine out there for Tesla - gave a thumbs down on yoke for everyday back road driving. I am seeing all the videos and I get the same impression - it is a pain in the neck..err hand. I am not really sure what problem it is solving. The adoption rate is going to take a good hit from main stream folks. They can sell a lot more with normal steering.

Now beyond the funny yoke and its clumsy maneuvering capabilities, the removal of stalks and having buttons for Autopilot & turn signals is a big downer. I was driving a Mercedes GLX 350 the other day and it's version of Autopilot needed two different buttons on the steering wheel to be engaged, and the whole thing was just plain horrible (the GLX lane keeping and smart cruise was really GOOD, I was impressed, just the controls were amateurish). I was thinking, wow Tesla got it right with a double flick of the stalk. Now with this change, they made it hard and clumsy.

But then I know I have been spectacularly wrong in a few other things Tesla did, that initially I thought was a dumb idea, but later turned out to be brilliant - like the removal of driver screen and having a single screen. I hated it when I saw the videos at the reveal, but LOVED it when I drove it later.

Lets us just say Jury is out on the yoke, and as of now it isn't looking pretty for Tesla.

Last edited:
The yoke also forces you to turn hand over hand, which is not the correct way to turn a steering wheel. The correct way is to turn hand to hand while keeping both hands on the lower half of the steering wheel.
Never heard that one. And I've lived in few countries and had to pass 10 different driving exams for all my licences... Many requiring licensed training, with classroom and in car instructors. And bunch of advanced driving school and lots more track days.
I actually don't remember having to abandon my 9&3 for any maneuver, parking included, except to shift back and forth. But maybe I'm forgetting. Just consider possibility I'm right...

I read the Motortrend review and they were complaining about looking over their shoulder backing up. Tesla has a plethora of cameras and a giant screen to help with backing up. Why would you look out of a tiny glass window.
This issue is solved further by 360° surround cameras....amazingly not on the options list for Tesla. But you are right, I've haven't swung around to look out the back window while reversing for years, side mirrors and a reversing camera should be enough for any driver. 360° cameras are great for making sure you are dead center in a tight spot.

Reactions: gavlois