Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s the yoke steering wheel feel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Your hands aren’t supposed to cross or go above 10 and 2.
This is how I was taught to use the steering wheel in the many autox schools I've taken. They called it "shuffling" your hands. You have the most control when your hands are in front of you. If you're crossed up (as you're forced to do with a yoke with a low ratio like on the new S) you have less fine control over the wheel with your arms in that position.

In addition, if you have to make a dramatic correction with your hands at 9 and 3, you can do so with a wide range, even in the middle of the turn if you've shuffled your hands. But if you're crossed up, you better hope your correction involves unwinding the wheel or you're screwed.

I'd imagine a 3rd party wheel will eventually come out at some point to fix Tesla's mistake, just like the add-ons for the 3 and Y to restore the gauge cluster behind the wheel that should have been there from the factory.

Hopefully air bags don't get deployed while doing a cross over. Broken wrists and arms flung into your face and head.

The lack of a stalk is also stupid. Requiring the eye off the road. There is a reason tactile function works. it becomes mechanical without taking ones eye off the road. Now one has to look at small 60% gray font type or icons over white. Then slide or drag while you watch your finger get to the place it needs to be.

Stupid UX designers now trying to "clean" the UX of active driving.

I'm a Telsa evangelist, but this is just stupid with nominal gains. Looking at front cluster (better), isn't imperative to driving. Physical Control over the car is.

The angst about this is interesting. My wife worked with a woman that felt she could not tell time on a square faced watch. Guess this is kind of the same.

I do see that it will take some adjustment but pretty sure I'll like it long term. Especially when I'm in FSD!
not the same at all. Looking at a watch is different than physically controlling a car's direction with an input device that requires feedback from the operator. A watch just shows you time. Not how to control time. If you have a watch that controls time, can I borrow it?

3 days with my Plaid, which is amazing. But the yoke ruins it.

I just posted with this NHTSA:

This has to do with Tesla's new yoke steering wheel. I find myself awkwardly trying to make simple 90 degree turns. However, a more significant turn, such as a legal U turn, is altogether more dangerous. First you must twist your arms upside down to execute the turn, or you need to rotate grips but the wheel is only designed to be gripped while straight/upright. This causes a very real threat of missing your hold on the wheel. Then as you try to controllably/slowly straighten the vehicle the steering wheel rips through your hands before you can complete the turn. God forbid anyone attempts a hasty 3 point turn with a car approaching. In addition, I am a six foot tall male and my knees actually come in contact with the wheel as the lower outside corners of the trapezoidal shape protrude down and out. If I am gripping the outside of the wheel, at 9 and 3, my hands can also contact my knees. This is with the wheel tilted/moved up to its highest position. Then there's the turn signals which are much too easy to engage accidentally or engage incorrectly (touch left when you mean to touch right). The roll wheel which controls radio volume and track fwd is mm from the turn signals which are activated simply by touch, not depressing a button, which means inadvertently activating them happens commonly. To see if the turn signals are activated your eyes must find small blinking arrows at the bottom of Teslas 'videogame' display - what the car's cameras are detecting such as other cars, trucks, stop signs etc - the needlessly distracting display cannot be turned off. All of this made worse on a temptingly fast car. This wheel design is made for a track, not for consumer driving. People will die from this design, all in the name of "cool". Tesla has made other flashy design errors while trying to attract attention such as the model x's falcon wing doors, but they didn't pose danger. This one most certainly does.

3 days with my Plaid, which is amazing. But the yoke ruins it.

I just posted with this NHTSA:

This has to do with Tesla's new yoke steering wheel. I find myself awkwardly trying to make simple 90 degree turns. However, a more significant turn, such as a legal U turn, is altogether more dangerous. First you must twist your arms upside down to execute the turn, or you need to rotate grips but the wheel is only designed to be gripped while straight/upright. This causes a very real threat of missing your hold on the wheel. Then as you try to controllably/slowly straighten the vehicle the steering wheel rips through your hands before you can complete the turn. God forbid anyone attempts a hasty 3 point turn with a car approaching. In addition, I am a six foot tall male and my knees actually come in contact with the wheel as the lower outside corners of the trapezoidal shape protrude down and out. If I am gripping the outside of the wheel, at 9 and 3, my hands can also contact my knees. This is with the wheel tilted/moved up to its highest position. Then there's the turn signals which are much too easy to engage accidentally or engage incorrectly (touch left when you mean to touch right). The roll wheel which controls radio volume and track fwd is mm from the turn signals which are activated simply by touch, not depressing a button, which means inadvertently activating them happens commonly. To see if the turn signals are activated your eyes must find small blinking arrows at the bottom of Teslas 'videogame' display - what the car's cameras are detecting such as other cars, trucks, stop signs etc - the needlessly distracting display cannot be turned off. All of this made worse on a temptingly fast car. This wheel design is made for a track, not for consumer driving. People will die from this design, all in the name of "cool". Tesla has made other flashy design errors while trying to attract attention such as the model x's falcon wing doors, but they didn't pose danger. This one most certainly does.
I don’t even think it is good for the track. Note that Randy Probst used a round wheel in his pikes peak run in the S Plaid.

I don’t even think it is good for the track. Note that Randy Probst used a round wheel in his pikes peak run in the S Plaid.

He did initially used the yoke for the track for the whole 3 loops. After that, he switched to a rounded steering wheel and never put the yoke back. Note that the Pikes Peak run itself is on public roads and not inside the tracks (which are for qualifying runs... before real races climbing up the mountain on the public roads.)

I don't get it, why are they being so stubborn not to offer a normal steering wheel? There is no downside to them doing that.
The risk here is the other manufacturers will follow the trend (eg, Apple removing the headphone jack, others followed).

Reactions: EVTracker
I don't get it, why are they being so stubborn not to offer a normal steering wheel? There is no downside to them doing that.
The risk here is the other manufacturers will follow the trend (eg, Apple removing the headphone jack, others followed).
You’re asking this question of a company who’s CEO tweets *sugar*-coin and “420” memes.

If everybody was used to driving with a yoke, and suddenly a company began changing over to a circular steering wheel, they would begin complaining that the lower rim hits their legs when getting in and out, the top loop blocks critical parts of their display etc.

Of course, because how we control the car has more to do with what we are used to rather than it has to do with one way being inherently better, they are just different. Anyone who have done any sort of sports and then "changed stuff up" knows that your brain will relearn, that's why it is important to keep neuroplasticity high throughout your life.

Of course, because how we control the car has more to do with what we are used to rather than it has to do with one way being inherently better, they are just different. Anyone who have done any sort of sports and then "changed stuff up" knows that your brain will relearn, that's why it is important to keep neuroplasticity high throughout your life.
I went from a 2018 Volvo S90 to a 2022 Tesla S LR. I have held the wheel at 9 and 3 for decades. From the day i ordered the Tesla in July 2021 until the day 6 months later when I picked it up, I drove my Volvo as if it had a yoke. I found virtually no difference in any basic steering motions. I also pretended I had all the yoke mounted buttons instead of stalk mounted controls and practiced using the imaginary buttons before using the stalks on my old car.

When I finally started driving the Tesla everything felt very natural. The horn is the only thing i still have to think about a little bit. The update that made the entire right spoke a triple horn activation helped a lot, not that I use my horn much.
I'd say the hardest thing to get used to was the 1 pedal driving technique which took a couple of days to get really smooth.

I've put 1300 miles on the car in the last 3 weeks and absolutely love driving it. I have no problems of any kind using the yoke.

I'm 71 years old and had no problems adapting to these changes.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman