Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My TMC post is not a DIY, but just a note about placement... Yours is where most have been placing it and it looks great. You can't see it from the interior and even the exterior is camouflaged from the rear view mirror. The ONLY reason I could see mounting it where I chose to mount it was in case you wanted to have fun (as you can see Brianman made me post a few posts later) and video the passengers (for instance during test rides), then my mounting will allow and this mounting will not. Just adding it to the knowledge base is all. Not saying its superior or inferior. :rolleyes:

Also, one detractor from my mounting which I did NOT expect was that because it is mounted higher on the windshield and thus in a vertical plane more into the cabin, there is more glare off the 17" screen at night, in the forward video. :cursing:

Thank you Jayfrost and PattyChuck. Your solutions made my install of a Blackvue Wifi camera super easy. I basically made a Jayfrost servo wire and installed it using the PattyCheck headliner pass. Took about 20 minutes to make the wires and 5 minutes to install. I placed variable sizes of heat shrink wire cover on the wires, soldered the connections in a whittled down servo wire, moved heat shrinks over those and then heat shrink covered the whole serve except for the prongs. Then added the in-line 2 AMP fuse and soldered those connections. Then slide the heat shrink covers into place and shrunk over those connections. Then gently popped but did not fully remove the cover using a plastic drywall tool, popped open the headliner panel, and ran a small wire passer through. Passed the wire and mounted the Blackvue camera to the windshield. Connected the servo wire and secured the connection with tape and snapped everything back. Looks great and works so well. Thanks again for making this easy.

I just picked up a BlackVue DR500GW-HD. For now I am just using the cigarette plug, but the camera shuts down when I get out of the car.
I routed the wire temporarily from the camera (behind the rear view mirror) over the visor to the door frame at the top of the A-Pillar.
From there I tucked it into the soft gasket around the door frame and down to the bottom of the b-pillar. to keep it out of sight I then put it loosely under the passenger seat to the center arm rest (where it can plug into the cigarette lighter).
Plenty of cable for a more secure mount.

I found a wire kit at Best Buy. the price was ridiculous, but I got it anyway. the wire is pretty long but included the fuse holder.
the male plug that plugs into the "spare" 12V plug over the rear view mirror was only 50 cents (I got 2, shown in picuture) at my local electronics Supply store. (not Radio Shack, I looked there and they were useless)
I now have two steps to complete my cord.

1. cut the end off the connector and solder the wire to my male plug.
2. (optional) shorten the wire between the camera plug and the fuse holder.(seems like a waste to cut the wire, I guess I could just tuck it in:redface:)
IMAG0108 (2).jpg

I just picked up a BlackVue DR500GW-HD. For now I am just using the cigarette plug, but the camera shuts down when I get out of the car.
I routed the wire temporarily from the camera (behind the rear view mirror) over the visor to the door frame at the top of the A-Pillar.
From there I tucked it into the soft gasket around the door frame and down to the bottom of the b-pillar. to keep it out of sight I then put it loosely under the passenger seat to the center arm rest (where it can plug into the cigarette lighter).

I found a wire kit at Best Buy. the price was ridiculous, but I got it anyway. the wire is pretty long but included the fuse holder.
the male plug that plugs into the "spare" 12V plug over the rear view mirror was only 50 cents (I got 2, shown in picuture) at my local electronics Supply store. (not Radio Shack, I looked there and they were useless)

2. (optional) shorten the wire between the camera plug and the fuse holder.(seems like a waste to cut the wire, I guess I could just tuck it in:redface:)
View attachment 26922
Only
Thing that sucks is the camera gets hotttttt

Only
Thing that sucks is the camera gets hotttttt

Yes it does, but it still works. The 16GB SD card that comes with it is not the best quality, it appears to be affected by the heat ("check SD card" comes up often) powering it off and on is a quick temporary fix... I bought a 32GB card that seems far more reliable.

As far as the cable, I bought a spare on Amazon for $20, then bought the 5X20 fuse holder/2A fuses at DigiKey and built the cable that uses the spare connector in the microphone spot, and wired it up... Power is on all the time from that spot, and the cable is completely hidden

Yes it does, but it still works. The 16GB SD card that comes with it is not the best quality, it appears to be affected by the heat ("check SD card" comes up often) powering it off and on is a quick temporary fix... I bought a 32GB card that seems far more reliable.

As far as the cable, I bought a spare on Amazon for $20, then bought the 5X20 fuse holder/2A fuses at DigiKey and built the cable that uses the spare connector in the microphone spot, and wired it up... Power is on all the time from that spot, and the cable is completely hidden

View attachment 26922

I did get a 32GB card even before testing the camera.
Install went fine, except soldering the wires into my connector took forever. one hand for the connector, one hand for the wire, one hand for the solder and one hand for the soldering iron. It's a good thing I had my feet replaced with chimp feet so I had enough hands.:tongue: the connector didn't lock into the other one so I used tape to secure it in place. I may try some small zip ties if the tape doesn't hold it's grip.

Any concerns re battery drainage with the Blackvue cameras? I have one and am still awaiting my MS, but I know these cameras will go into a parking mode and record if they detect motion, then go back to sleep. A good feature to have to see accidents or just see people looking at your MS when parked!

If the overhead 12v connection is always on you do get this great feature, but are there any concerns you have for battery drainage? Black magic sells an adapter which shuts down the camera if it detects the 12v battery discharging too low.

I presume the accessory and headliner 12v circuits are powered by the small normal 12v car battery in the nose, and not the huge power train pack. How does the MS maintain charge on the 12v subsystem anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have a 14xxx series VIN... Can anyone confirm if the unused wire in the Mic Panel is still there? I opened the panel where the mic resides and I can't find the unused cable that everyone is tapping into. I tried reaching toward the windshield but can't feel anything as far as a unused wire harness.

Thanks!

Can you post a picture? I've heard rumors that Tesla has removed other unused connectors from the car, so I wouldn't be surprised.