Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you post a picture? I've heard rumors that Tesla has removed other unused connectors from the car, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm having the Inavi FXD900 Vehicle Dual cameras (front and rear) installed on Saturday.
41WkuSUWRjL.jpg

We'll be trying to tap into that power source. Will post after it's done.

Artsci, I hope the installation goes better than your 1-star review on Amazon about the cameras :smile:

I gave them one star because all of the instructions are in Korean with no English available. Otherwise it looks like state of the art. I would have done the installation myself were in not for Korean instructions. The installer doesn't read Korean but he has experience with these kinds of things.

The image quality of my BlackVue DR400G-HD Season 2 has now degraded to the point of being useless. I think is has slowly cooked its self. I'm sure leaving it powered 24/7 and taking it to Vegas in July has not helped the matter, either. Recommend staying away from this particular product. Perhaps the 500 is less susceptible to heat.

I'm sure leaving it powered 24/7 and taking it to Vegas in July has not helped the matter, either. Recommend staying away from this particular product. Perhaps the 500 is less susceptible to heat.

Heat destroys all electronics. Yes, the 500 is claimed to be more tolerant of heat, but even the 500 will die if treated as you treated your 400.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

I was considering installing a second BlackVue camera in the back. A combined solution with better video is of interest.

Where would you get the power from???

I was able to tap the power from the auto dimming mirror using a mirror tap cable from safe n sound. The have an eBay store and look for the Whistler style plug, which is the same as the Blackvue plug.

Only problem with the power from the auto dimming mirror is that its not constant, so can't use the parking feature.

Auto dimming mirror in the back? /confused.

In the front most of us have used an unused connector behind the speaker/mic grille in the ceiling. It's unswitched and doesn't require tapping.

I can confirm newer cars don't have this connector. See the picture. Argh!

Now, where do people suggest the best place to tap a persistent 12v to take advantage of the parking mode recording?

I know of a 12 v switched source below the touchscreen on the passenger side (I'm hunting for it in the next couple days for my other mods) but unsure of where to get 12v constant.

Any guides on where the MS fuse boxes are?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377853507.101101.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377853507.101101.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 765