Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a BlackVue DR550GW-2CH. I have the 12 volt connector under the microphone cover.
20131122_234724.jpg

This is the rear camera
20131123_015236.jpg

And the front camera

- - - Updated - - -

I used a plastic putty knife to create a small gap and used a piece of weed wacker string to pull the power cable through.
20131123_103205.jpg

I installed a BlackVue DR550GW-2CH.

Chuck,
Thanks for the pics of the install. Not sure how long you've had it installed but have you had any issues with the rear camera not recording? I'm seeing that's been reported by other owners of that cam setup. I'm interested in this one (even though I'll have to do extra wiring). Also how hard was it to run the cable from the back camera to the front?

I have a finevu dashcam. Installation was very simple (I am not highly skilled...), I got an "add a fuse" kit from Autozone and plugged it into an empty slot in the fusebox (in the frunk). There is at least one that is 'always on'. I ran the wire from the windshield, along the top of the windshield (tucked in headliner), down the pillar, and then through the door jamb into the funk (open the door and the frunk and you will see how to run it through the grommet). It isn't visible and it looks good, I give it a 2/5 for difficulty.

Hi Randy! Would you please either take a photo or just describe which of the unused slots in the frunk fusebox that you have used. I haven't looked inside yet but assume they are numbered? I'm going to try to do this install. Thanks!

Chuck,
Thanks for the pics of the install. Not sure how long you've had it installed but have you had any issues with the rear camera not recording? I'm seeing that's been reported by other owners of that cam setup. I'm interested in this one (even though I'll have to do extra wiring). Also how hard was it to run the cable from the back camera to the front?

I Just put the system in 2 days ago. I read on other forms that the camera does gets warm. I'll have to see how long it last in the summer here. I'll take some more pictures and show the wire path that I did from back to front.

I wanted to run the small wire through the hose between the car and trunk lid, but it looked way hard.
First I pulled by the top red arrow and created a gap where I could push the end if the wire up towards the glass. You need about 20 inches from the red arrow to the center of the glass where the rear camera will mount. Tuck the wire in where the green arrows are.
Then I stuck the camera on with the sticky tape, and plugged it in. Removed the extra slack and then snapped the black part back where the top red arrow is. I left a little extra wire between the black molding and the rubber below (yellow arrow).
Next was pulling the rubber up in the corner where the two pieces below come together (bottom red arrow). Pull the last 10 feet under the rubber and leave a little bit of extra (yellow arrow), and push back the rubber.
Using a plastic putty knife, I began tucking the wire between the two pieces (blue arrow) and pushing the wire down about 1.5 inches.
20131124_142212.jpg

Sitting in the back seat, I began running the wire from the back to the front of the car. Tucking the wire in where the blue arrows are. Where the little window was, I just stuffed the wire between the head liner and the glass, you can not see it.
Next, I tucked the wire under the rubber molding on the read window (green arrows).
Then, used the putty knife to tuck the wire around the middle pillar. (blue arrows).
20131124_142312.jpg

Now from the front seat, continue around the middle pillar (blue arrows).
Then tuck the wire under the front window rubber (green arrows)
Using the putty knife, tuck the wire around the path of the blue arrows, tucking under the front leading to the wind shield.
Continue tucking the wire along the path of the blue arrows, towards the mirror. There was extra wire so I stuffed the extra along the part near the sun visor.
Use the putty knife to spread a little gap on the plastic mirror cover and have about 2 inches of wire hanging out.
20131124_142328.jpg

I taped into the unused 12V power connector under the microphone cover, but this connector is not there on newer cars.

Good luck with your install. I was not that bad.

Got the cameras in place. The rear feed wire is way long but I have it tucked away. I'm currently just running the power cord down the a pillar on the passenger side and under the floor mat to the 12v plug until I can find a decent 12v source. But it all appears to be functioning correctly. Thanks again for the pics and description. The headliner around the front windshield is a little tricky to get a wire under.

Glad to see this thread it still going and getting some great ideas. I am now committed to installing a dashcam. While my car was in for some minor adjustments they gave us a P85 to use for the 2 days. My wife cannot go a year without getting into some sort of accident and it is never her fault, but it happens Some guy ran her off into the curb damaging 2 rims and the cost is $375. I would sure like to have that on video to get the guy but alas it was a loaner. This week we will get something installed in our car.

I am concerned that they (Blackview) list the power consumption at ~400mA. That is ~6 watts continuous if wired with parking option. It might be hard on the 12 volt power system and contribute to vampire drain. Any comments?? Anyone check this out with Tesla?

I am concerned that they (Blackview) list the power consumption at ~400mA. That is ~6 watts continuous if wired with parking option. It might be hard on the 12 volt power system and contribute to vampire drain. Any comments?? Anyone check this out with Tesla?

I only found ~300mA listed on the blackview.com site: BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS (or http://www.blackvue.com/product/dr500gw_hd/en/images/15.jpg, to speed loading, that site is crazy slow) which is ~3.81W at 12.7V. The UK Blackvue site lists the max as 3W (Blackvue Vehicle Cameras : DR500GW HD (With GPS and Wi-Fi)).

Turning off wifi should help reduce that quite a bit, and I think in parking mode it's reduced as well (no video compress or writing to the memory card until an event, etc.)

I'm still debating in if I should use the Power Magic or not. It's a cleaner install without it and I can always unplug the camera for long term parking away from shore power.

So. My 550 from Amazon is waiting for me at our grocery store for pick-up (thats right - we get mail and packages to a grocery store).

Wondering if any EU-cars or newer US owners without the famous constant 12V In the roof has found any good solutions for permanent mounting yet?
I don't want to use the cigarette adapter.

But, the package also includes power magic pro.
How is the PMP wired In a Tesla? Think i read it needs +12V, GND and IGN12V. Guessing I can just hookup +12V and IGN to the same source to always Keep it on?

I'm having my blackvue 500 installed Friday (EU car), will report back on the result.

Cant wait!

My car is currently In to get some things fixed - so I went out and pulled off some stuff on the loaner. Thinking i might go down the A pillar and through the famous firewall rubber grommet to the frunk.

Could you get some pics of the wiring? If its an installer - ask them to take pics. :)

Only concern I have is a-pillar + airbag.
And the roof lining is glued to the windshield at the very edge. :-/

e8uqe8ab.jpg