Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fuse 50

I did the install a few months ago... I just went out and looked which fuse I replaced then (for the spare wire behind the microphone grill).

It is in fuse box #2 (the one on the left), and it was fuse number 50.

View attachment 47603

Thanks very much, NJ Plugin!

This had been a pesky one to trace because 50 isn't an empty slot but it was a blown fuse.

Now the cam works like a charm. Woe to the next SUV bump parker that encounters then denies hitting my car!

Stupid question: can anyone recommend a good replacement for the sticky tape the Blackvue comes with? I had to remove our mount when the windshield was replaced.
I never used the supplied material. I used 3M "Locktite" (or whatever it's called). I'll try to find a link later.

Edit:
"Dual Lock" not "Locktite".

I bought a big roll but this link has a good picture of what the surface looks like:
Amazon.com: 4-Strips Replacement E-ZPass Mounting Strips - Original TollTape: Automotive

Thought this was interesting while hard wiring the Blackvue 550.
IMG_8850.jpeg

So, instead of cutting the end off, I took apart the cig lighter part and desoldered the wires out. This way if there are any issues, I could always put it back together and send it in.
IMG_4923.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone left front license plate impression in my rear bumper too recently. Getting that on camera would have been nice although more than likely I would have only bought a one camera setup so wouldn't have helped.

I am considering installing a Dashcam in my MS to be delivered in a few weeks.
Any comments and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Please take a minute to use the search function here (and also use volkerize.com to search the TM forums) for lots of already available info on the subject. Some owners (including me) have installed one, and some have found it useful in accidents and other events (...you will see some videos also posted). Many models and options to choose from (front only, front & rear), cheap, expensive, easy to install vs. a bit more challenging. Me, glad I have it...sort of an insurance policy in the case of real or perceived risks).

Also take a look at dashcamtalk.com.
That link is very helpful, thank you.
There are a few other threads on TMC that are also helpful including:
  1. Best Dash Cams For Your Model S?
  2. Dash cam install experience
Thank you for those as well!

For nearly 2 years I've had the
BlackVue DR500 & been quite happy.
Now, I'd like to install these in my 2 kids and my wife's (non-Tesla) cars.

I was wondering, if other than what I've seen on the above forum threads or that other blog, if
anyone has had NEW experiences with any of the newer products?
I'm also looking for the potential to be able to
view live views from my PC when the car is driving elsewhere. Ideas?

Spent the past few days researching dashcam options as well as local installers.

I think this video finally convinced me to go with the BlackVue 650 :

(Most people probably won't need to view their dashcam from their smartphone, but I do, so this one is perfect for me.)

Last edited by a moderator: