Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a drive in movie mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

miracj

2021 Model Y LR AWD
Jul 15, 2021
Waltham, MA
I was at a drive-in movie the other night, and even though I had shut off the headlights, and darkened the screen, whenever I opened the door, it would turn on some of the cabin lights.

So ideally, I'd like a drive-in movie mode that did the following things
  1. Turn off all external and internal lights unless manually operated (The internal lights turned on every time someone opened a door)
  2. Lowered the screen brightness and blanked out the screen until touched (No screensaver like in camp mode)
  3. Maintain the cabin temperature controls like camp mode
  4. For those sitting outside the car, being able to play a radio station outside (this may already there, I didn't try it)
  5. Using the forward or rear cameras (depending on car orientation), display the movie screen and allow zooming into it. This would allow inside passengers to watch, especially in back seats, or in front seats if car has the rear pointed at the screen.
Other thoughts?

I was at a drive-in movie the other night, and even though I had shut off the headlights, and darkened the screen, whenever I opened the door, it would turn on some of the cabin lights.

1. Turn off all external and internal lights unless manually operated (The internal lights turned on every time someone opened a door)
  2. Lowered the screen brightness and blanked out the screen until touched (No screensaver like in camp mode)
  4. For those sitting outside the car, being able to play a radio station outside (this may already there, I didn't try it)
  5. Using the forward or rear cameras (depending on car orientation), display the movie screen and allow zooming into it. This would allow inside passengers to watch, especially in back seats, or in front seats if car has the rear pointed at the screen.
Other thoughts?
Ty hat would be cool. I did a drive in combined with a camping weekend in the Model Y. I put the screen in screen cleaning mode and it kept it dark, as I needed the radio on to hear the movie.

Reactions: miracj

Other thoughts?
I would also really like this in my 2016 MX.

Using the forward or rear cameras (depending on car orientation), display the movie screen and allow zooming into it. This would allow inside passengers to watch, especially in back seats, or in front seats if car has the rear pointed at the screen.
Adding to the zoom idea, if you can pull each corner of the movie screen to the corners of the Tesla screen would correct for keystone of the image, making it look like you are viewing straight on.

Uh.... drive-in movie? What's that?.....lol🤣
drive-in movie
Noun mainly US

/ˈdraɪv.ɪn ˈmuː.vi/

Definition:
A location for people to watch movies that are fuzzy, low brightness, with crappy audio, and crappy food concessions while sitting in one's car.

Sentence:
Last week I watched "Casablanca" at the drive-in movie.

😆

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cavity
Santa Monica is getting a new Tesla SuperCharger drive in. So the suggested Drive In mode might come to the fore-front:

Also, to add to miracj's definitions, "A great place for people to make out". That easily offsets all of the negatives ;)

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021