TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How about a EV Ski Boat.

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by skdave, Apr 8, 2015.

1. skdave

skdave Member

Wish Tesla would consider a high performance Ski boat. I have a Supra an base on the torque of my Model S I think a ski boat would be easy for Tesla to get market share in nothing flat.

2. tga

tga Active Member

Even if you can get past the economics, the physics simply don't work, at least not without a order of magnitude or two increase in energy density and specific energy.

A ski boat spends a lot of its time in the upper range of the power curve. So if you're running at 100hp, that's 74,500 W. You'd kill the 85kWh pack in no time flat.

Want to spend the afternoon out skiing with the family? You'd need 400-500kWh of batteries. Even if that level of battery technology existed, it'd take 2 days non-stop to recharge on a 50A shore power connection, so going out on the boat 2 days in a row is out.

The other option is marina superchargers, but you'd have to stay close to shore. You'd be limited to ~1 hr of skiing followed by ~1hr of charging. If you think supercharger contention on land is bad...

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

4. skdave

skdave Member

Thanks for posting his. Ev ski boat would be perfect for many like me that live on a lake. We hit the skis for about an hour in the evening and we are back in the dock.

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

<hissy fit>

If Tesla ever seriously considers producing one of these prior to producing the World's Finest Pickup Truck, I personally will drag my Ski Nautique and my MasterCraft to the top of Mt. McKinley and drop them off the Wickersham Wall.

</hissy fit>

6. skdave

skdave Member

Funny all in good time.

7. Smiley Face

Smiley Face Member

I could see a hydrofoil boat working well

8. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Seems it would have plenty of charge to troll around the lake all day if you wanted. Carry a 3hp Honda so you could always get back to the dock.
    --

9. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Wouldn't an electric boat/ship be more likely to store its batteries in the keel, thereby improving stability, while lowering the center of gravity? In a catamaran the batteries would be in the outboard floats on either side, rather than in the deck, skateboard style. Either way, a seagoing vessel would have to be designed as electric from the outset to take full advantage of the technology.

10. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I just want an electric boat to mess with people at electric only lakes... buzz by at 40... all silent like ;)