Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a EV Ski Boat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if you can get past the economics, the physics simply don't work, at least not without a order of magnitude or two increase in energy density and specific energy.

A ski boat spends a lot of its time in the upper range of the power curve. So if you're running at 100hp, that's 74,500 W. You'd kill the 85kWh pack in no time flat.

Want to spend the afternoon out skiing with the family? You'd need 400-500kWh of batteries. Even if that level of battery technology existed, it'd take 2 days non-stop to recharge on a 50A shore power connection, so going out on the boat 2 days in a row is out.

The other option is marina superchargers, but you'd have to stay close to shore. You'd be limited to ~1 hr of skiing followed by ~1hr of charging. If you think supercharger contention on land is bad...

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
<hissy fit>

If Tesla ever seriously considers producing one of these prior to producing the World's Finest Pickup Truck, I personally will drag my Ski Nautique and my MasterCraft to the top of Mt. McKinley and drop them off the Wickersham Wall.

</hissy fit>

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Wouldn't an electric boat/ship be more likely to store its batteries in the keel, thereby improving stability, while lowering the center of gravity? In a catamaran the batteries would be in the outboard floats on either side, rather than in the deck, skateboard style. Either way, a seagoing vessel would have to be designed as electric from the outset to take full advantage of the technology.

If you guys are still interested. I am thinking of doing a start up for putting Tesla motor(s) on a like 15m flybridge cruiser with around 7-10 sets of battery hoping to give it a range of 200km to 250km range.

At first I am thinking of converting a existing boat with diesel engine to keep the cost low and then later on start building brand new boat with motor and battery in it..

If you are interested please PM with your contact detail. I am based in Hong Kong..

An electric ski boat can work. My Mastercraft has a 351 V8 and a 20 gal gas tank. It runs for hours skiing. I don't see why a ski boat would be any different from an auto on the road. Musk has even commented on the EB (Electric Boat) concept before.

An electric pontoon boat is a great idea, or a bass boat. The bass fishermen troll around on nearly zero HP, then decide this spot isn't working and zoom at 40 mph to the next spot. An EV would do all that well. Don't know about the weight though. Bass boats are wide and run shallow. How much do those batteries weigh?

Saw this awhile back. We have a Cobalt open bow, loved seeing some take a Cobalt and convert it.

Range is another issue as previously stated. Once someone can get a boat that offers similar performance and range to current gas/diesel they'll have something, similar to how Tesla has kicked off the EV revolution. Our boat has a 502 big block, it'll burn 34 gallons per hour wide open and 12-ish at it's most efficient cruise speed. A car that gets 20mpg at 80mph is burning 4 gph for comparison.

Last edited:
How about this one?

100% Electric Nautique - YouTube

EV is the future, the batteries will come.

Great video. Unfortunately I feel as if theres a huge difference in the SKI Nautique and the G series.

Tremendous amount of weight difference not to mention adding an extra 5000 lbs to surf. That would absolutely destroy the battery range. Hopefully in the future though.

Maybe in another decade or two. Boats are so incredibly inefficient. I’m surprised Nautique even experimented with it. Only 3 ski runs. Maybe a ski boat does make sense because they are often used for a few runs a day. But that’s like an electric car with a range of like 20 miles. We had prototype electric cars that could go 20 miles decades ago. But to get practical ranges it took so much work.

The idea of charging on the water is also a little scary.

Saw this awhile back. We have a Cobalt open bow, loved seeing some take a Cobalt and convert it.

Range is another issue as previously stated. Once someone can get a boat that offers similar performance and range to current gas/diesel they'll have something, similar to how Tesla has kicked off the EV revolution. Our boat has a 502 big block, it'll burn 34 gallons per hour wide open and 12-ish at it's most efficient cruise speed. A car that gets 20mpg at 80mph is burning 4 gph for comparison.

I don't know about off shore, ocean use, but around here people use ski boats very intermittently. More than skiing, wake boarding is very popular. Neither one requires that large an engine or to be run full power. I've skied behind a boat with a 125 HP outboard. Bottom line is the battery issue is greatly exaggerated, must like Mark Twain's death... well, at the time he said it.

Boats come in all sizes and shapes. I don't think a 502 big block is the best first target for an EB. I expect the battery and motor from a standard model 3 would do the job just fine in a 19 foot ski boat. Even better than the gas boat, I'd never have to make the trip for gas again!

Boats come in all sizes and shapes. I don't think a 502 big block is the best first target for an EB. I expect the battery and motor from a standard model 3 would do the job just fine in a 19 foot ski boat. Even better than the gas boat, I'd never have to make the trip for gas again!

Agreed with all this. If I think about how we use our boat, 90% of our trips we use 10 gallons or less. Mostly tube or ski for a bit then go sit and float. I'd imagine a lot of people are the same.

Reactions: brkaus