Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a plastic sub-trunk liner/carrier?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I see how useful the sub-trunk is... and how I am using it...I'd really REALLY like a full liner for that space. It would drop in, be a form-fit of that cavity. Like custom all-weather floor mats for the trunk... with full-height sides. Add handles, and you can bring this thing inside to pack, then slip it into the lower trunk. At destination, it can be removed and used. While traveling, spills hardly matter.

Basically I'm looking for a form-fitting version of this yard tote that I use constantly (sorry that it is filthy. I promise to keep my Tesla unit nice!) Who can make these? And wasn't somebody looking into making a form-fit insulated cooler for that area? This would be a more simple version of that, certainly.
181101.023.JPG
Fit it to the sub trunk, and poke some handles into it. Maybe I'm a market of one, but I'd sure like to have this!

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
I spent a while looking for a soft-side cooler that would fit, and everything I found was too large in at least one dimension. What I did find was that a pair of these 12” cubes fit quite nicely, leaving room on the back for the UMC. They each hold a grocery bag and are easy to carry, but don’t work for larger things.

It would appear that there's no end of things that we could stuff in there. I just can't help thinking that a form-fit, durable, flexible plastic "bucket" would check so many boxes. Then items like those little coolers could also be added in there when desired. The dividers that folks are selling? They aren't even form fit. They're sort of square and sort of fit. I don't get it. For the folks who make the "all weather" mats, this seems like a pretty good product opportunity.

Huh. Good find. I wouldn't have at first noticed that one of those mats is for the bottom of the sub-trunk.

In the meantime, this was the form-fit cooler thread I was talking about.
Custom fit trunk cooler
Interesting project! I'm not sure I see the need for insulated, I like the rubber liner idea.

I was looking for options yesterday, that's how I found the other mat. I had a water bottle leak, not be noticed, and now my "junk well" stinks.

Interesting project! I'm not sure I see the need for insulated, I like the rubber liner idea.

I was looking for options yesterday, that's how I found the other mat. I had a water bottle leak, not be noticed, and now my "junk well" stinks.
Yup, it was spilled beer from a leaking growler that got me thinking about this. I carry oysters in there... beer... plants. It would be so nice to make it fully lined.... and have it so easy to remove and clean.

This is a great idea! As I was driving home from smart and final today with a 5 gallon container of peanut oil in that lower trunk part, I thought " self, what happens if that thing leaks?!?!?" I was terrified, even though I had verified several times that the container was new, and sealed. I would LOVE to have something that could be taken out in that space, and rinsed out, etc. Something form fitting but that could be removed.

Something like the containers that people are making (and I bought) for the front console area for sunglasses etc. Similar idea, but in the trunk.

Great idea OP I hope someone makes it. I would buy one.

This is a great idea! As I was driving home from smart and final today with a 5 gallon container of peanut oil in that lower trunk part, I thought " self, what happens if that thing leaks?!?!?" I was terrified, even though I had verified several times that the container was new, and sealed. I would LOVE to have something that could be taken out in that space, and rinsed out, etc. Something form fitting but that could be removed.

Something like the containers that people are making (and I bought) for the front console area for sunglasses etc. Similar idea, but in the trunk.

Great idea OP I hope someone makes it. I would buy one.
Exactly! I've mentioned that I haul beer, oysters, ice, oil. I have the floors of the frunk and trunk well protected. But now need that lower trunk, because it is such a great place to *contain* any mess that may happen. I so wish I had the ability to make this myself.

I've been disappointed that the Rola Cargo Organizer (large) that we use in our MS trunk doesn't fit the recessed area nor does their smaller version. Love that product and so well made and even USA manufacturered.

So why not use something like a Steralite storage container in the Model 3 trunk recess? Nice solid plastic (I prefer the clear containers so you can see through the sides and bottom) and maybe even use a lid on it? Has handle grips on two sides. I think we have a few here at the house and will check the measurements of my recessed liner space before emptying out things to see how it works.

I got this from EVannex and it works great.

View attachment 364474

I wish the OEM optional rubber trunk mat had a door and hinge so you could lay it flat and then just lift the portion that provides access to the well.
I have had no issues with my OEM cargo mat simply bending when I lift the lid to the lower compartment. I don’t see that a hinge is needed because it bends like a hinge anyway. That said, I noticed that the Maxpider mat seems to have that hinge you were looking for. You may want to check that out.

As for the organizer from EVannex... I’ll study that closer. It looks great for organizing. I’m not sure that it serves the purpose I need. Durable, strong, waterproof, totable.

So why not use something like a Steralite storage container in the Model 3 trunk recess? Nice solid plastic (I prefer the clear containers so you can see through the sides and bottom) and maybe even use a lid on it? Has handle grips on two sides. I think we have a few here at the house and will check the measurements of my recessed liner space before emptying out things to see how it works.

That’s a possibility if the fit were very good. My concern is that I do not want to lose any of the volume. And that’s why I want it to be form-fit to the actual depression.