Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a plastic sub-trunk liner/carrier?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the columns probably serve as structural support.
Indeed I know why they're there. And it is lazy design. No "structural support" is needed in a product that sits in a well. If the handles need to be molded in (and they don't need to be, of course... but it makes the product a single process) there needs to be a bulge near the handle. Carrying that column to the bottom is nothing but lazy, done by folks who don't care about volume efficiency. If I buy one of these, I plan to heat it up, and flatten those columns below the handle.

Welcome! Let's just say that I've been looking for this for a long time! Found some rubber ones with no sides, then short sides, then taller sides, and then finally the proper thing! I do wish that it had just strap handles like the product that you bought. I'm a huge efficiency fan, and that includes use of cargo volume.

See that there has been some activity here on this thread. The ABS should be strong—think ABS pipes. ABS does deteriorate in the sun however so keep that in mind. In the lower cargo area not a problem but if you go to use the tub outside over time could be. If in a fire some nasty stuff results.

Not clear on the desire for rope handles. I was thinking you could get some heavy duty, nylon-type strapping and have someone sew reinforced handles on to both ends that could then be fitted underneath the tub base and up through each of the side tub handles. If you are objecting to the indented sidewall space the handle creates, I’m thinking it’s probably better to have some airflow to the lower area anyway. That lower trunk lining is pretty thickly padded.

Last edited:
Not clear on the desire for rope handles.
Strap handles take up almost no space when not being used. Molded handles so, as space for your hands must be permanently accommodated.

I was thinking you could get some heavy duty, nylon-type strapping and have someone sew reinforced handles on to both ends that could then be fitted underneath the tub base and up through each of the side tub handles.
That would probably work pretty well! But I'm not wanting to *add* strap handles. I want them instead of wasting space to mold handles in (including the lip).

If you are objecting to the indented sidewall space the handle creates, I’m thinking it’s probably better to have some airflow to the lower area anyway. That lower trunk lining is pretty thickly padded.
Do you mean to avoid vacuum when removing and pressure when inserting? Even the very short pile of the "carpet" is good enough to prevent that from being a real issue. Those big ol' indents are just a waste of space, IMO.

Yeah wasn’t sure about your rope purpose. As for the air space, I was thinking if people for instance use it for ice there could be condensation on the tub that gets transferred to the liner and maybe some air circulation down to that area would be a good thing.

Yeah wasn’t sure about your rope purpose. As for the air space, I was thinking if people for instance use it for ice there could be condensation on the tub that gets transferred to the liner and maybe some air circulation down to that area would be a good thing.
Interesting thought. But it would only "ventilate" those columns. The other 90% of the condensating (I'm not sure that's a verb) plastic is still pressed against the "carpet."And honestly, I just can't imagine the folks who made these being worried about that sort of thing. To me it is pretty clear that it was the easy way to make the handles and perhaps to release it from the mold.

I can't wait to hear some first-hand reports on it. I'd order one right now, but won't be around much in August, and might as well hear what others have to say.

Actually if you look at the photo where the guy is standing on top of the tub (I copied to my photos and zoomed in more for a better look), it looks to me like there are some raised bottom sections that would lift the total bottom surface a bit off the surface it sat on. So there would be air channels underneath. Of all the designs I've seen so far I think I like this one the best.

It is interesting they make a slight ridged channel on the inside to apparently add a divider to separate one half of the tub from the other but no mention of it coming with the divider.

I see the stiffening channels. None of those are connected to each other, to the handle channel, nor to the ambient air. They aren't going to ventilate anything. If anything they'll allow *more* condensation to form vs being against the carpet.

Notice how all other images don't have the ribs on the side. Only in the standing one. Clearly this has gone through some iterations. Now we have to wonder what the retail product actually looks like.

Wow, I really want that deep one, but not enough to pay that much for it. I did see some other options on Ebay like this one.

For Tesla Model 3 2017 - 2019 Car Rear Trunk Storage Box Mat Odorless Durable | eBay

If someone buys one, let us know what you think of it.

Ordered this one today, it looks like it comes about 1/3 or 1/2 way up the sides. I don't need a deep one, or one with handles. Estimated shipping time: one month. Will let you know what I think once I take delivery.

Significantly cheaper at AliExpress

Online Shop Auto Car Modification Trunk Storage Box Storage Box Compartment Storage Box For Tesla Model 3 2017 - 2019 | Aliexpress Mobile

And this might be a solution for the rest of the trunk.

Online Shop car styling Fully enclosed trunk pad tail box leather cushion protection pad modification decoration car Accessories For model 3 | Aliexpress Mobile

I bet we start seeing a lot of new stuff coming out of China when GF3 starts pumping a ton of cars into the Chinese market.

I ended up ordering the AliExpress one.

Well for a not so quick update. It is not going so well dealing with chinese seller.

Immediately after ordering the seller contacted me and asked me me to cancel the order because the shipping company refused to ship.

I noticed that the seller updated their listing and raised the price by $50. I'm sure the real reason that they did not want to ship was that they realized it was stupid to offer free international shipping on a very large item.

I was fine with the order being canceled, but the seller said I had to cancel the order and said that I had to lie about why I wanted the order canceled. There were options for "seller changed price" and "selected shipping method not available". The seller said I had to use the option called "other".

I was not going to select the inaccurate reason out of fear they would then say I was not owed a refund so I selected the "selected shipping method not available". The seller rejected the cancelation request and that it would "hurt" them if they accepted a cancelation for that reason (the reason they gave me for why they wanted me to cancel).

After rejecting the cancelation request, the seller then reported the package as shipped but entered tracking information (probably for an empty envelope) that showed a package sent to a location 1000 miles from my address.

I'm not terribly worried about getting my money back, but it is turning out to be a large hassel.

I'll probably wait until there are US based sellers with the product in stock before trying again because I worry that If I just select a new vender or new platform it will be the same fraudulent seller.

Ordered this one today, it looks like it comes about 1/3 or 1/2 way up the sides. I don't need a deep one, or one with handles. Estimated shipping time: one month. Will let you know what I think once I take delivery.
While the market works out the details on the more complete one, I've ordered this one as well. Seems to be a good compromise.... though some actual dimensions sure would have been nice.

Wow, I really want that deep one, but not enough to pay that much for it. I did see some other options on Ebay like this one.

For Tesla Model 3 2017 - 2019 Car Rear Trunk Storage Box Mat Odorless Durable | eBay

If someone buys one, let us know what you think of it.

Got mine today. Overall I am happy with it for the price. It did not ship in a box so it was a little wrinkled (see pics), but it is a sub-trunk liner so I don't really care.

IMG_2501.jpg
IMG_2502.jpg

While the market works out the details on the more complete one, I've ordered this one as well. Seems to be a good compromise.... though some actual dimensions sure would have been nice.

It is about 6" tall in the back. It is relatively thin, flexible plastic though I don't feel that is necessarily a bad thing.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Got mine today. Overall I am happy with it for the price. It did not ship in a box so it was a little wrinkled (see pics), but it is a sub-trunk liner so I don't really care.

View attachment 445985 View attachment 445986

It is about 6" tall in the back. It is relatively thin, flexible plastic though I don't feel that is necessarily a bad thing.
i've been meaning to come here to post this. i bought the mats from the chinese ebay dealer too and they came shipped in one of those white/gray plastic shipping bags. they were completely folded in half and the mats/bins were severely deformed. i let them sit out for at least a week before putting them in.

the frunk bin is nicer than the toolbox bin. it's "steadier" in that it would appear that it was injected more evenly (all material feels same thickness) vs. the toolbox bin feels like the corners are thin and would not re-form.

eawmNYT.jpg

aXoXhek.jpg

mJeqpyr.jpg

qopJpXf.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC