Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a plastic sub-trunk liner/carrier?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I should have been more concise and said ordered and received. :) As for shipping, it’s what it is. I wouldn’t expect a seller to lose money on shipping costs.
And I wouldn't expect a seller to ship in a way that destroys the product. Charge what you need to charge to get it delivered properly, or don't sell stuff.

Mine arrived as well. Looks just like the crappy stuff that everybody else is receiving. The thickness of the material varies across the product. The thing is crushed beyond recognition (arrived in a bag with no support). This is $30 of garbage.

Totally agree about proper shipping. Hope everyone left feedback for others on Amazon. Did appreciate the feedback here. I’ve been considering a full walled version but so far held off trying to order from overseas. Wish a US company would import a bunch of them for resale here.

Well for a not so quick update. It is not going so well dealing with chinese seller.

Immediately after ordering the seller contacted me and asked me me to cancel the order because the shipping company refused to ship.

I noticed that the seller updated their listing and raised the price by $50. I'm sure the real reason that they did not want to ship was that they realized it was stupid to offer free international shipping on a very large item.

I was fine with the order being canceled, but the seller said I had to cancel the order and said that I had to lie about why I wanted the order canceled. There were options for "seller changed price" and "selected shipping method not available". The seller said I had to use the option called "other".

I was not going to select the inaccurate reason out of fear they would then say I was not owed a refund so I selected the "selected shipping method not available". The seller rejected the cancelation request and that it would "hurt" them if they accepted a cancelation for that reason (the reason they gave me for why they wanted me to cancel).

After rejecting the cancelation request, the seller then reported the package as shipped but entered tracking information (probably for an empty envelope) that showed a package sent to a location 1000 miles from my address.

I'm not terribly worried about getting my money back, but it is turning out to be a large hassel.

I'll probably wait until there are US based sellers with the product in stock before trying again because I worry that If I just select a new vender or new platform it will be the same fraudulent seller.
It took nearly a month, but I finally received a full refund.

When it was clear that the seller was not going to ship the product or offer a refund, I requested help from AliExpress. They assured me that I would get a full refund but their policy is that you have to wait a few weeks before you can report the problem.

Once the requisite time passed, I opened a dispute and received a partial refund (~95%) quite quickly. I have no Idea why only 95%. Seems really weird to refund most but not all.

I requested help Aliexpress again on how I could get a full refund instead of a partial refund. They were no help at all and just said that my only option was to dispute the charge at my bank.

I paid with paypal, so I reported the problem to them. It took paypal a while, but paypal refunded the the remaining portion after the seller did not respond to their request to explain.

After seeing the pictures @heysteveh and @640k posted, I feel like I got lucky. It bet it would have been a lot harder to get a refund if the seller had actually me something and it arrived broken.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it. But I do like the two-piece concept (I had to watch the vid to figure out why there seemed to be different items on sale here!). Because I often put larger, rigid stuff in there, I'm not entirely sold. My goal is to have a liner that gives me as much uninterrupted volume as possible. Would be nice to just add that upper tray though for when small things need better organization. Another benefit of upper tray is one more layer of privacy/protection of the items below.

I’m thinking because to have a product that gives full bottom to top coverage in one piece will be expensive to ship as a large boxed item, that’s the reason why we really haven’t seen a good full size drop in protector tub. No doubt it’s doable in a number of suitable, waterproof materials, just shipping cost restricted. But I too keep checking back on here ;).

Has anybody tried out this option for the trunk?

Molded Premium Trunk Organizer for Tesla Model 3
Whoa! $159.99 It's not a little bit pricey?

I have several older duffel bags, laptop bags, backpacks of various size and shape that I use now to organize my trunk and frunk.

In particular, I have a spare tire tools kit in the trunk, and some shopping bags and umbrella in the frunk.​

I think it is simpler to use bags that you can quickly remove or pile up, than to have this rigid case in two pieces.

So if you want to access the bottom part of the trunk:

1. You need with one hand to hold the Tesla sub-trunk cover,
2. then with an other hand you need to extract the top part of the Taptes trunk organizer,
3. remove everything inside this top lid,
4. put the top lid on the siide,
5. then finaly you can access the bottom of the trunk.

6. Reverse the process to put everything back...​

Whoa! $159.99 It's not a little bit pricey?

I have several older duffel bags, laptop bags, backpacks of various size and shape that I use now to organize my trunk and frunk.

In particular, I have a spare tire tools kit in the trunk, and some shopping bags and umbrella in the frunk.​

I think it is simpler to use bags that you can quickly remove or pile up, than to have this rigid case in two pieces.

So if you want to access the bottom part of the trunk:

1. You need with one hand to hold the Tesla sub-trunk cover,
2. then with an other hand you need to extract the top part of the Taptes trunk organizer,
3. remove everything inside this top lid,
4. put the top lid on the siide,
5. then finaly you can access the bottom of the trunk.

6. Reverse the process to put everything back...​

@Watts_Up I think you might have misjudged what the intent of this thread has been. It's been about finding a full height cargo liner that will be one piece and waterproof and with handles to lift out, not a regular kind of cargo organizer. There's been discussion about putting ice in it for camping or fishing trips and bring back catch stored in ice or doubling as a ice chest/cooler. Surdy enough to handle lifting out the load too.

Here is another option that fits well, satisfies the "totally waterproof" and durable aspect. But again wastes a bunch of volume and is still a hack. Lowe's for about $20. More expensive in other places.

I'm still surprised that the folks who make plastic stuff for cars have not filled this product void, so to speak. Make a mold of that cavity (maybe even to replace the fuzzy black stuff that also wastes volume) and create a durable tub just like this... that fits perfectly. With the number of these cars on the road now, I have to think that the market would be significant. Make a matched set for the Frunk too!

There's money here sitting on the table!

trunk bin.jpeg
trunk.jpeg

Reactions: vnxs and bluhorshue
Is this what you want?

1626577261298.jpeg

Is this what you want?

View attachment 685476
Thanks for posting that, Holey. It looks lovely and practical in some ways.... for those who don't have anything big and leaky or don't wish to have a way to tote what goes in there. I'm still looking for that elusive full-volume, drop-in liner that has carry handles on the top. So you fill the tote with stuff at the oyster store, the market, the camp site, the house.... then carry it out and drop it into the hole. Maybe it is beer on ice. Maybe it is oysters on ice. Maybe it is cans of paint or dirty clothes or valuables to keep hidden.

If you scroll ALL the way back to the original post for this thread, you'll see my old plastic garden tote with plastic handles. If those handles flopped in (like rope handles) and the whole thing conformed exactly to the shape/volume of the subtrunk, I'd have what I want. Imagine that red tote heated to the point where it conformed perfectly, and you've got a pretty good indication of my "need." Three years in, and I'm still searching!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, Holey. It looks lovely and practical in some ways.... for those who don't have anything big and leaky or don't wish to have a way to tote what goes in there. I'm still looking for that elusive full-volume, drop-in liner that has carry handles on the top. So you fill the tote with stuff at the oyster store, the market, the camp site, the house.... then carry it out and drop it into the hole. Maybe it is beer on ice. Maybe it is oysters on ice. Maybe it is cans of paint or dirty clothes or valuables to keep hidden.

If you scroll ALL the way back to the original post for this thread, you'll see my old plastic garden tote with plastic handles. If those handles flopped in (like rope handles) and the whole thing conformed exactly to the shape/volume of the subtrunk, I'd have what I want. Imagine that red tote heated to the point where it conformed perfectly, and you've got a pretty good indication of my "need." Three years in, and I'm still searching!

So basically the sub liner I posted but with a lid?

There are form fitted tubs (plastic, felt ligned, textured, etc) with and without handles on Alibaba, Aliexpress, eBay.
No jobber/reseller tax just a longer wait time on shipping from MLC or Taiwan and similar.

Many designs have been available since 2019 and/or Model Ys initial production year... Model 3, Y, old / new frunk tubs, trunk tubs, etc.

So basically the sub liner I posted but with a lid?
No, it doesn't need a lid. The difference is that what I want is a single tub, the exact shape of the well. Without wasted space. Without dividers. Without two levels. And WITH handles (these could just be ovals cut in the sides near the top, or rope handles that flop inside out of the way.

Thing of that red plastic tub in the first post of this thread that is heated to melt into the exact shape of the sub trunk well.

There are form fitted tubs (plastic, felt ligned, textured, etc) with and without handles on Alibaba, Aliexpress, eBay.
No jobber/reseller tax just a longer wait time on shipping from MLC or Taiwan and similar.

Many designs have been available since 2019 and/or Model Ys initial production year... Model 3, Y, old / new frunk tubs, trunk tubs, etc.
What I want may well exist in the web-verse today. But I haven't found it yet. Or to put it another way: This is what folks were saying one and two years ago, but it didn't exist then either. I know that there are liners! Many are linked and shown in this thread. Just not in the configuration that I want

Granted I'm just now looking again after more than a year of giving up.