Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about an annual Tesla convention?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I hope Tesla is at the point some year where something like this would be possible. Something like MacWorld would be fun to attend and could serve as a platform for all EVs in general as well. Just a thought. It would probably be more of a TMC gathering to start but maybe Tesla would get involved. Apple supported their fans for years and they cultivated an active following.

What would this look like? I've never been to MacWorld. Who would attend? What would be there to see? What would it cost? Are there activities?

We have the annual Alt-Car Expo here in Santa Monica every October. Probably the biggest EV EVent in the country. Turnout has been spotty. Even dropping off these last two years. Tesla came once, maybe twice? Historically Tesla rarely has done "green" EVents as that was not the market for a 100K car. Now with a half that price car, it will be interesting to see what they choose to appear at.

I went to MacWorld for fun I think in 2001 to see a Stevenote (Steve Jobs keynote) speech. That of course was a huge event in the past with dozens of companies and thousands of people.

I'd imagine to start it would be basically a TMC gathering more than anything. Chance to visit California for a weekend and meet other Tesla people. It would probably have to be a largely non-profit venture at least to start with speakers doing it for free but I've never arranged or organized anything like this. The cost would be whatever it cost to rent whatever space was needed for the event. If we could convince Tesla to chip in and help sponsor it somehow, that would help and would give people something to look at (factory tour basically and place to hold event). This was more along the lines of a wish-list idea than anything. Tesla is going to have a number of official events over the next few years that people can get together at but maybe a few years down the road when there are thousands (hopefully) of Tesla owners and even more fans, there will be enough people to make something like this happen. Maybe Tesla would even organize and host something like this.

What would this look like? I've never been to MacWorld. Who would attend? What would be there to see? What would it cost? Are there activities?

Some suggestions:

1) SCCA Autocross (in large parking lot; anyone with a proper helmet can enter)
2) Factory Tour
3) 30-60 minute Talks by Tesla employees, EVSE companies, PV companies, EV advocates, EV historians, hypermiling tips, charging tips, etc, etc.
4) Booths for third party sellers of accessories (and official Tesla accessories also)
5) SCCA Road Rally(s)
6) Wine tours or other tours
7) Drag Racing at a nearby strip
8) Factory stunt driver demos (drive cars on two wheels, etc)
9) Fuel (energy?) Economy contest

SAAB had annual gatherings in the US, and in Europe. So did Saturn. Plenty of good ideas to copy. BMW motorcyclists have an annual US gathering; I saw a great ABS demo there.

GSP

If anything like our local car meet ups: a group of mostly guys with their hands in their pockets staring at various versions of the same car as they chat :)

"So, how do you like it?"

What would this look like? I've never been to MacWorld...

MacWorld:
macworld2011.jpg

macworldcrowd_580-100023526-gallery.jpg

Big convention hall. Lots of exhibits. Buyers. Sellers. Enthusiasts.

New product announcements. Panels of experts.

I bet you have been to some kind of industry conventions that are similar.

Last edited:
That's my guess but I don't know.

Almost certainly. From the latest clue it sounds like they're looking for suggestions on what sort of things people might be interested in:

KLINAMEN WILL OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE
POSSIBILITIES NICK SAFE TRAVELS TO
THE MASTER S WARREN YOUR DISCOVERY
SOUNDS INTERESTING BUT YOU REALLY
MIGHT BE MORE EXCITED ABOUT GETTING
HERE AS OUR GATHERING FOR BUILDING THE
TRANSMISSION HAS GOT JUST A BIG JOLT
WE HAVE BEEN TALKING TO TESLA MOTORS
AND THEY HAVE AGREED TO PARTNER IN
THIS EXCLUSIVE USER GET TOGETHER WE
NEED CERTAIN AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TO BUILD
OUR TRANSMISSION AND AFTER
DISCUSSING MANY IDEAS OF WHAT MIGHT BE OF
INTEREST TO THE TESLA COMMUNITY WE
THOUGHT IT MIGHT BEST TO ASK THE TIME
MANAGEMENT CLOCK PEOPLE IN PHASE ONE WE
ASK YOU ARE TRAVELING A LONG WAY TO THE
TRANSMISSION WHAT ACTIVITIES OR
TESLA RELATED SIGHTS WOULD FASCINATE
AND EXCITE YOU AT THE END OF YOUR
JOURNEY YOU WILL FIND THE TRANSMISSION
WILL HAVE LUMINARIES FROM THE TESLA
WORLD ON STAGE WHO DO YOU WANT TO SEE
AND WHAT WOULD LIKE THEM TO ORATE ON
ONE THING WE DO KNOW IT THAT THERE
WILL BE REWARDS GIVEN FOR THOSE WHO
PARTICIPATE IN THE ACTIVITIES LEADING
UP TO THE GATHERING WITH TESLA S
PARTICIPATION THINGS JUST GOT A LITTLE
MORE INTERESTING

Like. Although I would expect it becomes more viable once there are a few thousand Model S's on the road.

That would be now….. VINs are close to 7000 next week!

- - - Updated - - -

I vote to have the event on the CA west coast since:

1) most of the cars are here
2) loads of fun winter locations from San Diego to a factory “home coming” for S’s coming from around the country!
3) I’d be happy to volunteer my time (if it were a nonprofit event) to help set up local arrangements if it were held in San Diego.
4) A "Mac World" type event —— it will take a full year of serious planning — maybe better to start small and grow

Last edited: