TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How about using our Model S/X as power storage unit?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Okgo, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Okgo

Okgo Member

As Tesla car owners, We have a very large battery pack in our car from 60kwh up to 90kwh. When the car is parked in our garage during the day, why not let us use the car battery to power our house when the electricity is super expensive? When electricity gets cheap at night, we can charge the car back.

Can we find such solution?

2. Ludus

Ludus Member

It's not the best use of an expensive battery pack that's not designed for that. I think Tesla commented on it some years ago. If you can afford a Tesla, you likely can afford a Power Wall that's specifically engineered to do that

3. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

If I recall correctly, at the shareholder meeting, they addressed this. There is a TON of regulatory issues with using the car as a battery source for the house, which varies between different jurisdictions apparently. There were other technical issues that they didn't delve into but shook their heads knowingly.

In summary, unless you learn to hack it somehow to do that (and potentially fry your circuit board and worse burn your house as well as likely void your battery warranty), Tesla will not do it.

4. mhan00

mhan00 Member

There's no way Tesla will allow this, not for a long time. Beyond the regulatory issues, there's no way Tesla would want people depleting the lifetime of their batteries by discharging them to power the home in addition to the driving, and for sure they wouldn't want people to start super changing their cars and using that power to power their homes, essentially shifting their electricity bills to Tesla.