TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How accurate are your parking sensors?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by BenR, Aug 20, 2018.

1. BenR

BenR Member

So, my garage is not particularly tight, but I do have a few soft items (like sleeping bags and a stack of empty boxes) at the front of where I park my M3, basically on either corner where my headlight might bump/brush them if I'm off-center or pull forward a little too far (wouldn't be any problem if it did happen, although it never has.)

Thing is, when I'm pulling in I get a pretty good picture from the parking sensors of where everything is and how centered I am, but then it starts beeping hysterically and throws up "STOP" in huge letters, showing me right on top of something, while I'm still a good 9 inches away from touching anything. If I actually stopped where it first starts going crazy, I couldn't close my garage. So I have to just keep pulling through that and thus the parking sensors are useless for those last few inches.

Is this normal? I've read stories here of people parking their M3's with like, 1-inch clearance to be able to close the garage which leads me to believe maybe it isn't. On the other hand, everything on my car works fine and it would seem odd for the sensors to just be a few inches off for some reason with no other noticeable issue. I'd like to figure out if this is something worth bugging the (overworked) service crew about. Thanks!

2. GoneCrazy

GoneCrazy Member

As far as I know, the car will put the "STOP" message and tone once you are less than 12" away from a perceived object.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. ksb467

ksb467 Member

I experience the same as orig poster, and also agree with the 12” comment above. I never see a distance of less than 12” display, it just changes to STOP.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

Ultrasonic sensors have a minimum range. Closer than that range and they can’t resolve the distance to an object. I assume that distance is 12 inches on the M3, since that is where they stop reporting actual distance.

• Like x 1
  5. 240W

240W Member

Wished it had a front camera button, can’t tell how close to a curb or parking block if it’s less than 12, hate being told to STOP when I know there’s still some room, lol.
    That rear camera is great for parking and reversing

• Like x 1