Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate are your parking sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my garage is not particularly tight, but I do have a few soft items (like sleeping bags and a stack of empty boxes) at the front of where I park my M3, basically on either corner where my headlight might bump/brush them if I'm off-center or pull forward a little too far (wouldn't be any problem if it did happen, although it never has.)

Thing is, when I'm pulling in I get a pretty good picture from the parking sensors of where everything is and how centered I am, but then it starts beeping hysterically and throws up "STOP" in huge letters, showing me right on top of something, while I'm still a good 9 inches away from touching anything. If I actually stopped where it first starts going crazy, I couldn't close my garage. So I have to just keep pulling through that and thus the parking sensors are useless for those last few inches.

Is this normal? I've read stories here of people parking their M3's with like, 1-inch clearance to be able to close the garage which leads me to believe maybe it isn't. On the other hand, everything on my car works fine and it would seem odd for the sensors to just be a few inches off for some reason with no other noticeable issue. I'd like to figure out if this is something worth bugging the (overworked) service crew about. Thanks!

Wished it had a front camera button, can’t tell how close to a curb or parking block if it’s less than 12, hate being told to STOP when I know there’s still some room, lol.
That rear camera is great for parking and reversing

Reactions: APotatoGod