Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate is trade in value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As everyone mentioned here, the trade in value are really low.

I was going to trade my Model X (new battery, Free Supercharging, still a month of bumper to bumper warranty). They offered $29K. I decided to sell it on my own for a lot more than they were offering.

Hope this helps!

When I first placed my order on 1/14 I figured even though I won't get my car by 2/14 I'd see what Tesla was offering for my '18 Volt, they were 4k less than the highest Vroom so I declined. Now that I'm a month out from delivery supposedly I got prices from the usual places and Tesla. Vroom was now the lowest and KBB was the highest. Tesla's offer went up 1.5k oddly enough so now that is my plan since KBB was only 1k more, the tax savings will more than make it worth it. So I guess moral of my story is, decline and try again later before passing on Tesla's offer.

My trade in offered expired on 3/13. I was offered around 23k for my current vehicle. Today I went to reappraise the trade value through Teslas website ( not app ). I got 2 completely different ranges when logged into my account vs incognito mode and not logged in. Used car values actually increased about 4% from the time I received my original trade in offer according to manhiem.

26,656.png
23440.png

sell where you can get money, values change everyday, Mannheim is overrated and just causes people to pay more money because dealers doing D2D sales and inflating pricing, sell where you get the most, take a hit for convenience of sale for certain places.

sell where you can get money, values change everyday, Mannheim is overrated and just causes people to pay more money because dealers doing D2D sales and inflating pricing, sell where you get the most, take a hit for convenience of sale for certain places.
What Im trying to point out is Teslas bait and switch tactics. They will give you a high estimate when youre still shopping. Once they have your order, they screw you.
Before I ever placed an order, my vehicle was appraised at 23-25k. This was back at the beginning of Feb. I did not have a Tesla account at the time so I wasnt logged in. When I do the same appraisal today without logging in, its priced significantly higher. Therefore, Tesla knows thats used car values have gone up as well.
My appraisal has gone up using Carvana as well.
Im still waiting for Tesla to come back to me with the actual amount Ill get through the app.

What Im trying to point out is Teslas bait and switch tactics. They will give you a high estimate when youre still shopping. Once they have your order, they screw you.
Before I ever placed an order, my vehicle was appraised at 23-25k. This was back at the beginning of Feb. I did not have a Tesla account at the time so I wasnt logged in. When I do the same appraisal today without logging in, its priced significantly higher. Therefore, Tesla knows thats used car values have gone up as well.
Im still waiting for Tesla to come back to me with the actual amount Ill get through the app.
the thing is they are not trapping you in, you dont have to sell it to them so they can change the prices as much as they want just like carvana and other who only guarantee that price for 7 days or so, prices of cars are changing daily. Bait and switch would be only appropriate if they locked you in and you had to sell it to them same thing happens with rivian, no one is forcing you to sell to anyone

Reactions: TesslaBull
Telsa finally came back with an updated trade offer. 15.6k! Im still in shock. This is 4 days after the first one expired. I asked the SA if this was a mistake. Its been 2 hours without a response.

Telsa finally came back with an updated trade offer. 15.6k! Im still in shock. This is 4 days after the first one expired. I asked the SA if this was a mistake. Its been 2 hours without a response.
After a bunch of back and forth. One of the SA finally looked into my situation. They came back with 26100! Very happy with the result.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230319-134045.png
    Screenshot_20230319-134045.png
    542.2 KB · Views: 122
Outside of the once in a lifetime, crazy pandemic used car situation of the past two years, trading in cars when buying a new one has always been for suckers. Used car prices and values have plummeted especially since Tesla lowered their prices so much and became eligible for the rebate. As has ALWAYS been the case in the past, trading in is for suckers and gets you the least money. If you don't like the trade in value you are getting, DON'T trade in! Just sell your car as anyone who doesn't want to throw money away has always done in the past.

Yes, if you got an "estimated" trade in value around the time all the prices dropped i.e. since January, and Tesla realizes they can't sell your used car for more than people can buy a new one for, they are going to lower your trade in offer to where it should be....a lot lower than what they can resell it for. And lower than what you can sell the car yourself for.

I have never once traded in a used car when buying a car. Even folks that "think" they are getting a good trade in with traditional dealer ships, they are simply recouping the cost on the price of the new car. Aside from Tesla with their fixed pricing......negotiate to a true lowest price number and you will find any dealer won't offer you much for your used car on trade in. They need lots of room to mark up and make a profit, unless they hide a bunch of profit on the new car side. Either way, trading in always has been(outside of pandemic) and always will be the dumbest way to constantly buy new cars.

Reactions: McRican