Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate ( or inaccurate ) is your local speed limit display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in south Orange County
Every since Tesla changed data providers my displays are so inaccurate as to be almost unusable
There are numerous areas around us where the display is off by 5 or 10 mph either high or low. I don’t use autopilot on streets here but if I did it would be all but useless on streets where the displayed limit is lower than the actual limit
The biggest concern is streets I don’t often travel and really want to know the true limit
Hoping Tesla will find a way to improve accuracy

Reactions: BerTX
Same for me. Off by 10mph mostly. 35 when it should be 45 etc... My neighborhood is 25mph but the database has it as 45mph as well. Biggest problem is several expressway entrance ramps, one that travels for about 1 mile parallel to the expressway, are posted 70mph yet AP database sets maximum TACC and AP to 45mph. Terribly annoying....to those following me LOL

I am in south Orange County
Every since Tesla changed data providers my displays are so inaccurate as to be almost unusable
There are numerous areas around us where the display is off by 5 or 10 mph either high or low. I don’t use autopilot on streets here but if I did it would be all but useless on streets where the displayed limit is lower than the actual limit
The biggest concern is streets I don’t often travel and really want to know the true limit
Hoping Tesla will find a way to improve accuracy
AP1, so you don't want my answer.:cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Ande
AP1 works fine.
AP2 is so often confused that for much of my morning commute AP is unusable because of the absurdly low set speed it insists upon, based upon old speed limit data. Sure would be nice if my AP2 could actually read the speed limit signs, like my ancient AP1 car does...

Interesting. I am in SoCal as well (Carlsbad) and I have noticed that the speed limits that I am seeing match the posted limit about 90% of the time. I also have driven back and forth to Phoenix three times and the speed limits matched almost always there as well.

I wonder if it is just a locality thing? Are others seeing the same issue in other areas? Maybe I just got lucky!

Reactions: BrokerDon
Interesting. I am in SoCal as well (Carlsbad) and I have noticed that the speed limits that I am seeing match the posted limit about 90% of the time. I also have driven back and forth to Phoenix three times and the speed limits matched almost always there as well.

I wonder if it is just a locality thing? Are others seeing the same issue in other areas? Maybe I just got lucky!
Yeah, I think it clearly depends on locale
My wife's Hyundai is eons better than the Tesla in our area

You need to trade up to an AP1 car. A lot of AP2 owners here claim AP2 already surpassed AP1, so that means that is has all the important (to them) features, which means reading speed limit signs is not considered important to a large portion of AP2 owners. From Tesla point of view, no need for speed limit accuracy until Level 5 FSD where Tesla will have to take responsibility for speeding since there will be no driver in the car, until then the driver is always responsible, so not a priority feature.

You need to trade up to an AP1 car. A lot of AP2 owners here claim AP2 already surpassed AP1, so that means that is has all the important (to them) features, which means reading speed limit signs is not considered important to a large portion of AP2 owners. From Tesla point of view, no need for speed limit accuracy until Level 5 FSD where Tesla will have to take responsibility for speeding since there will be no driver in the car, until then the driver is always responsible, so not a priority feature.

I traded my AP1 for a 2. Really have not regretted it knowing what's coming. But I do miss the car's ability to read speed limit signs. In fact, every time the car receives a new firmware update the first thing I do is drive past a particular speed limit sign near my house watching (hoping) to see if the car reads it.

Reactions: BerTX
I guess I have AP1 since mine still reads with the camera? On a regular route I take, the speed limit jumps from 40 to 55 but there's a visual obstacle preventing the car from seeing the first 55mph sign, so I have to take over for awhile until the next speed limit sign appears. Also the school zone signs confuse it a lot and it'll slam on the brakes down to 20, no matter what time of day it is. Drives me nuts that it won't learn after a few times driving by somewhere.

Seems to work well for me. Very accurate vast majority of the time. Which surprised me because of all the post I read on TMC. The Garmin GPS I use in my ICE handles it well also and the Garmin of course doesn't read signs either.

My complaint is that ACC doesn't reduce speed when limit decreases like AP does. Why wouldn't they work the same?

And while they are fixing that I'd be nice if they increased when speed limit went back up.

Seems to work well for me. Very accurate vast majority of the time. Which surprised me because of all the post I read on TMC. The Garmin GPS I use in my ICE handles it well also and the Garmin of course doesn't read signs either.

My complaint is that ACC doesn't reduce speed when limit decreases like AP does. Why wouldn't they work the same?

And while they are fixing that I'd be nice if they increased when speed limit went back up.
They have the ability to make the speed adjust to the speed limit. I don't know why it isn't an option.

We know it CAN do it, as you say, because AP can do it. Also, when under just TACC, you can hold the AP wand toward you and it works like you would like it to, slowing and speeding up as the speed limit changes. That gets a little old, though...

I traded my AP1 for a 2. Really have not regretted it knowing what's coming. But I do miss the car's ability to read speed limit signs. In fact, every time the car receives a new firmware update the first thing I do is drive past a particular speed limit sign near my house watching (hoping) to see if the car reads it.
The good news is that once Tesla runs out of major features they can possibly add to AP2, they might throw in speed sign reading just to give something to the customers unhappy that FSD didn't materialize. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that they didn't do that already, which lead me to conclude it's not an important feature for Tesla. Not only that, they have AP1 cars driving around reading the speed signs, you'd think with all the "Tesla fleet learning" Elon's been touting, they would have updated the speed limits database based on AP1 cars reporting back to the mothership. The fact that they don't tells me their supposed "fleet learning" is just another pipe dream of Elon's.

Reactions: idealsol
Bad but I don’t blame the car being confused. We have a lot of construction going on all.the.time. Including a freeway entrance/tunnel for 395S in DC, the speed in the tunnel is 35 mph. Yes, freeway. The way I know the speed is 35 mph is because there are speed cameras that trip once you go over 45 mph. Nice surprise in the mail!

Traffic is usually bumper to bumper around here so it usually doesn’t matter but I was going to VA very early Sunday morning:(