Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How adequate is the A/C airflow in the MX 5-seater for 2nd row passengers?

Effective 2nd row cooling in Model X in summer heat (over 90 degs)- 5-Seat owners only please

• Yes, perfectly adequate, Cool as a Clam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several threads about this, but now that the Model X 5-seaters are hitting the summer heat for the first time since being delivered, many are questioning the decision by Tesla to eliminate the rear HVAC fan.

Tesla needs to realize if they made the proper decision to remove the 2nd fan for effective 2nd row cooling, possibly consider adding it back.

Personally, living in Texas and being a fan of not sweating for me or my passengers, I am resigned to adding full thermal-blocking tint and closing the front vents if necessary, pre-cooling when possible, but what bladeless 12 volt fan will match the interior?

What Say You 5-Seat owners who have hot +/- humid summers???

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
There are several threads about this, but now that the Model X 5-seaters are hitting the summer heat for the first time since being delivered, many are questioning the decision by Tesla to eliminate the rear HVAC fan.

Tesla needs to realize if they made the proper decision to remove the 2nd fan for effective 2nd row cooling, possibly consider adding it back.

Personally, living in Texas and being a fan of not sweating for me or my passengers, I am resigned to adding full thermal-blocking tint and closing the front vents if necessary, pre-cooling when possible, but what bladeless 12 volt fan will match the interior?

What Say You 5-Seat owners who have hot +/- humid summers???
I'm starting to talk with the the regional manager as the service center can't help me any further.

Didn't vote as a non-owner (yet), but would be happy to vote and select 'happy to pay part of the 6/7 seat charge for the same HVAC system'.
Let me explain. We bought our 5 seater BEFORE any were available but were able to test drive a 6 seater which has great A/C. When we received it, we didn't notice the difference until one of our unseasonably hot days in florida during December. I was in the back and started feeling sick because it was hot in the rear seats. Since then, I've taken the vehicle into the service center 3 times. The last time they took the vehicle apart and as always say, "it's working as designed." Well whoever designed it should have left the rear seats out of it and made it into a van. The rear a/c is anemic and even with the front a/c going at full blast, it doesn't shoot much flow. The most airflow comes from the front pushing to the back, not the vents in the back.

DO NOT BUY A 5-SEATER. $120,000 cars shouldn't have this problem.

Gotcha. If even the 2nd row is bad, that's a different issue. I believe most of the general conversation was on the 'cargo space' for dogs and the like. Hate to waste space/money on 6 seats, leave two folded down all the time, etc. But if it's really that bad.... <sigh>

Appreciate the info.

Remember that Tesla made a statement at the time, much quoted here, that the five-seater A/C was tested sufficient for the back too... much was made of this assurance on TMC too.

Maybe this quote could help you guys with a remedy?

Last edited:
Here is the Tesla quote being discussed:

Ventilation in the 5 seat configuration, from Tesla:

The 5-seater has four rearward-facing vents all powered by the central HVAC: two on the B-pillars and two at the back of the center console. In our models and testing, we found that the central HVAC has more than enough power to cool the whole car in this configuration.

Flat Fold second row now available.

Inadequate design if it has to depend on front row passengers enduring an artic blast, in order for second or cargo areas to be comfortable.

Driving back from San Diego yesterday, and I called SvC on the spot to point out that the outdoor temp registered 73 degrees and the cargo area was 91 degrees. I folded down the second row for my dog to scoot closer to the front and have chilled air. SvC scheduled me for an immediate appt next week. Stay tuned.

Inadequate design if it has to depend on front row passengers enduring an artic blast, in order for second or cargo areas to be comfortable.

Driving back from San Diego yesterday, and I called SvC on the spot to point out that the outdoor temp registered 73 degrees and the cargo area was 91 degrees. I folded down the second row for my dog to scoot closer to the front and have chilled air. SvC scheduled me for an immediate appt next week. Stay tuned.

Sorry about your woes and thank you for the data point. Great to have someone post numbers. Do you recall the outside weather?

Gotcha. If even the 2nd row is bad, that's a different issue. I believe most of the general conversation was on the 'cargo space' for dogs and the like. Hate to waste space/money on 6 seats, leave two folded down all the time, etc. But if it's really that bad.... <sigh>

Appreciate the info.

If you read this and another TMC thread, plus one on Tesla.com, you will see the concern is all about the 2nd row passengers, and not the rear cargo area.

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

5-Seater A/C concerns... and 90D vs 100D... Need Advice | Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

I am really interested to see what they say about the reduced airflow from the B-pillar vents when fan is on max. Others have been told it was working per specs.

Show them that in order for the airflow to be equal to a 6/7-seater on max, 2 of the 4 front vents need to be closed. I used a wind meter, but just a hand of face will reveal the differences and the inadequacies of the airflow on a seated passenger.

Although my 4-legged kids prefer to lay down close to the front row, they will still be as impacted as a human passenger.

In my Cayenne and 6-seater, their hair can be seen "blowing in the wind", but not in a 5-seater.

Boys in the Car sm.jpg

Well, as I mentioned, it's not just temperature, but airflow and circulation especially in a hot and humid cabin.
This the effectiveness of an overhead fan in your home, airflow promotes skin cooling,

Understood. And your measurements pointed this air moving effect out greatly.

It would still be interesting to see the relative temperatures front to back.

I came across this post from the legendary Bonnie, from back in Nov '16.
Those of us aware of the limited airflow will disagree with this assessment, however, she may be correct given much cooling time and the same A/C compressor... but not accounting for airflow and passenger satisfaction.

The more I "obsess" over this issue, the less hopeful I am and may decide to change my 5-seat order to a 6-seater, which is really unsatisfying for a vehicle costing over $110K.

upload_2017-4-29_14-41-45.png

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
@essmd Well, we have come to know how much we can believe Tesla's statements on controversial topics.

We simply can not take them at face value.

The AP publicity vs. reality has been much discussed. P85D HP of course too. And then there is the P85DL, P90DL and P100D power limiters thread where Tesla promised to remove the limits and make things right... and then instead went onto limit all cars. Yes. (Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits)

It has gotten to the point that people on TMC actually ridicule other people for "not doing their research" if they have taken Tesla at their word and believed Tesla.

I came across this post from the legendary Bonnie, from back in Nov '16.
Those of us aware of the limited airflow will disagree with this assessment, however, she may be correct given much cooling time and the same A/C compressor... but not accounting for airflow and passenger satisfaction.

The more I "obsess" over this issue, the less hopeful I am and may decide to change my 5-seat order to a 6-seater, which is really unsatisfying for a vehicle costing over $110K.

View attachment 224953
To clarify, I was only sharing a communication from Tesla that I received.

To further clarify, my adult son started laughing when he saw me referred to as 'legendary'. He would disagree, it appears. :)

Hi Neil!

I have been through that level, snce Dec 2016 on this HVAC issue, at the TESLA level...no joy to date...

Thank you very much

FURY
Hey Fury,
Can you tell me what they told you? I get pretty anal when it comes to making purchases and especially one that is SOOO expensive. I expect it to be damn near perfect. I haven't received a response yet from the regional manager, but I'd like to have as much ammo as possible.

I'm pretty upset that i wasn't told that there would only be one A/C unit on the 5 seater. The irony is that I have a 2015 f150 that also only has one A/C unit and it will blast you with the rear vents.