Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How am I reducing my range - let me count the ways...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
  1. I took off the hubcaps. I'm not driving a $60k car with hub caps.
  2. I floor it at every red light.
  3. It's winter.
  4. I had sentry mode on.
  5. I haven't even started to look into pre-conditioning the battery (does that affect range?).
  6. I HAVE been preconditioning the cabin.
  7. I'm about to lower my tire pressure to see if it affects ride quality.
  8. I haven't started tracking my efficiency. (I've only had the car a week.)
  9. I can't wait to replace the tires with vredestein quatrac pro.
  10. I may get them in 255/50-19.
Yeesh! Good thing I don't drive much. I feel like I just look at this car and the range goes down.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I admit I too took off my hubcaps but my range is pretty darn good. I charge to about 85-90% and my range is about 270 miles actual. True I live in Florida where the land is flat and the weather always warm and never have range anxiety. I have traveled the entire state from the keys to the panhandle. I suppose if I lived in New York my range would suffer, especially in the winter, but that is my I live in Florida

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
I admit I too took off my hubcaps but my range is pretty darn good. I charge to about 85-90% and my range is about 270 miles actual. True I live in Florida where the land is flat and the weather always warm and never have range anxiety. I have traveled the entire state from the keys to the panhandle. I suppose if I lived in New York my range would suffer, especially in the winter, but that is my I live in Florida
Whats's the range loss for removing the hubcaps?

Drove around the DC area delivering GS Cookies for my daughter and the range went from 85% to 30% in no time. I can't imagine a car that has less range than the MY especially in cold weather. This car is not made for driving moderate-to-long distances.
This post is useless without some more details. How long is “no time”? What distances are we talking about and at what speed? What was the outside temperature?

I can think of a lot of EVs with less range that your MY in any weather.

Drove around the DC area delivering GS Cookies for my daughter and the range went from 85% to 30% in no time. I can't imagine a car that has less range than the MY especially in cold weather. This car is not made for driving moderate-to-long distances.

I'm tracking my efficiency on TeslaFi and I'm hauling it on the highway in 60F Florida weather and getting great efficiency (with stock 19" wheels). This is about 3.94 mi/kWh.

EVs are terrible in the winter. I don't know why people even buy them in cold climates. Get a PHEV please.

(75% highway, 25% local roads - was driving to Disney via I-4)

1644184630159.png

Reactions: bobbyjae
HmmI have been traveling without any problems from GA to NJ for 3 years now with 5 people in the car. Model 3 LR.

Last edited:
This post is useless without some more details. How long is “no time”? What distances are we talking about and at what speed? What was the outside temperature?

I can think of a lot of EVs with less range that your MY in any weather.
Well we left around 10:30 AM and came back around 2 PM. Drove to NOVA then back to the MOCO area. Took a lunch break in between. It was cold yesterday, around 30 degrees.

Yes, that is my point. I would not get an EV with less range than the MY because it feels insufficient in cold weather.

HmmI have been traveling without any problems from GA to NJ for 3 years now with 5 people in the car. Model 3 LR.
Just feels insufficient when you are charging to 85% then drive out in the cold for a few hours. You get home and the battery is drained... Perhaps I should I charged it to 100% but driving locally did not seem like it was necessary.

Just feels insufficient when you are charging to 85% then drive out in the cold for a few hours. You get home and the battery is drained... Perhaps I should I charged it to 100% but driving locally did not seem like it was necessary.
When you are traveling you don’t charge higher than 80% waste of time after that. It is faster to charge to 70-80% and go than wait more.

Well we left around 10:30 AM and came back around 2 PM. Drove to NOVA then back to the MOCO area. Took a lunch break in between. It was cold yesterday, around 30 degrees.

Yes, that is my point. I would not get an EV with less range than the MY because it feels insufficient in cold weather.
So around 70-80 miles perhaps at freeway speeds used up little more than half the charge in cold but not very cold weather? Sounds about right, but there aren't any other EVs that can do significantly better. Not yet anyway and not in this price range.

Reactions: Gadget63