Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How anal are you about parking spots and door dings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is just like any new or high end car I have owned. I had a 2001 BMW 750iL that I adored. At about 60K, I came out to a dent in the gas cap lid. That was easy, as I simply replaced it with another jet black one. But then, I ended up with two door dings on the same door (right rear). Then a hood scratch. I did the best I could to touch up the hood, but the door ate me up until I had it repaired.

For some reason (perhaps it is my age and tolerance for workplace stupidity) I have grown less concerned about this stuff. I have the occasional cigar in the car, I have a door ding near the charging port, and a rock chip in the hood (both of which I touched up). But it is a car. It has 70K on it.

I am more concerned about my OWN stupidity than others (e.g. scraping the front fairing on a concrete stop block) so my biggest concern is setting the air susp to highest setting in any parking lot I frequent (and not turning the wheels to one side or the other when I egress the car).

I felt differently about a little red Italian car I once owned. But that is part of the reason why it is in someone's garage in Houston (with tricked out wheels and other mods that kinda make my stomach turn ... but that is another issue).

I normally ill go straight the back of the parking lot where its empty. Buttttt.. if I can find a parking spot all the way at the front and if its against a curb or if its a huge spot in general. I will park there I just make sure I park directly in between the lines. My worst fear is coming out to my car and seeing that somebody parked like at curved angle by my S!

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
After experiencing a door ding, I got it fixed and park farther away now. Last week, I went to the grocery store and parked away from the other cars. When I came back to my car, I saw a Model X parked in front of me. I suspect he had the same thoughts, too.

I'm very particular about parking, and if I am forced to park next to cars, I try for late model 2 doors with shallow door swing radius. I'm wondering what the door ding repair cost ? Was painless dent removal an option ? I've actually thought about hanging those swimming pool noodles/pipe insulation on each side of my car. Maybe a homeless hanger into the rack mounts on the pano roof.

Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. For what it's worth

• Funny
Reactions: beantobe
I have never worried about door dings in a parking lot. I just park wherever I want... I've done this for my entire life and I've never had a single door ding in any of my 30+ cars.

LOL I bet the side of your cars look like the surface of the moon. But whatever floats your boat man.

Close-parking is some sort of congenital disease. People battle for tens of feet like it will literally kill them to move their legs. It gets even worse when you get into a parking garage. Somehow having to take the elevator one more floor is super hard compared to hunting for the last spot on this floor.

yea, when i park far away where there are no cars, i get super annoyed when i return and see a car next to me.
i also prefer to park next to a handicapped spot, hoping that most are left vacant...
I do the same. My CPO was in near immaculate condition when I got it and I'd like to keep it that way for awhile. Probably should have it coated to prevent rock chips on the front, but I'd have to go hundreds of miles for that, I expect.

I have never worried about door dings in a parking lot. I just park wherever I want... I've done this for my entire life and I've never had a single door ding in any of my 30+ cars.
That's amazing to me. I've never had a car that didn't get slammed by other car doors at least once. So, unless I'm driving a beater, I try to do "defensive parking" when I can.

Close-parking is some sort of congenital disease. People battle for tens of feet like it will literally kill them to move their legs. It gets even worse when you get into a parking garage. Somehow having to take the elevator one more floor is super hard compared to hunting for the last spot on this floor.
We have one of those popular health clubs near us. Once I watched someone idle for 5 minutes waiting for a car to pull out of a close spot to the door of the health club when there were plenty of spots 10 cars away. Come on. You were frigging going to the health club to exercise!:confused:

LOL I bet the side of your cars look like the surface of the moon. But whatever floats your boat man.

Um... no. I'm not sure what part of "I've never had a single door ding in any of my 30+ cars" was unclear. Sorry you are unable to park without receiving door dings, but it's never been a problem for me and I don't cherry pick parking spaces. Just whatever is convenient and/or the closest to where I'm going. Maybe you should move somewhere that doesn't have a bunch of assholes living there.

Um... no. I'm not sure what part of "I've never had a single door ding in any of my 30+ cars" was unclear. Sorry you are unable to park without receiving door dings, but it's never been a problem for me and I don't cherry pick parking spaces. Just whatever is convenient and/or the closest to where I'm going. Maybe you should move somewhere that doesn't have a bunch of assholes living there.

It's not that you're describing something unbelievable about your behavior, it's that you're describing something unbelievable about _everyone else's_ behavior. You might as well be saying you don't know anyone who farts.

I think you need to look harder down the side of your cars, and maybe get your prescription checked.

I'm super duper anal. I've also found that parking further away is not only safer, it's also quicker, less hassle, and probably better for both my legs and mind. The only time I mind it is when,

a) Some parking lots are ALWAYS full,
b) On a windy winter day when you literally need to wear a woolen underwear to keep the blood flowing.

Like others have said, I too am extremely particular about where I park. After getting hit on a residential street in Seattle where someone did 1500 damage to my car, I will even Uber into downtown Seattle so I don't have to park.

Not sure what was more painful - the damage/$$$ or having to listen to my significant other about it over and over and over!!!

It's not that you're describing something unbelievable about your behavior, it's that you're describing something unbelievable about _everyone else's_ behavior. You might as well be saying you don't know anyone who farts.

I think you need to look harder down the side of your cars, and maybe get your prescription checked.

I would disagree. My wife doesn't have any door dings, either, and I know she doesn't give a *sugar* where she parks. The common denominator regarding getting door dings seems to be the driver of the vehicle getting the dings in question. So I would consider maybe looking really hard for the source if you have a problem with door dings. You are the only one that is common to the entire scenario of dings, just as I am to my vehicles. Somehow I have managed to avoid them, but you have not. We are (as you imply) probably dealing with the same type of people the world over on a regular basis.

Which is more likely? That I have door dings but can't manage to see them over the course of 30+ years and 30+ cars or that I simply don't have door dings from parking? Somehow I manage to find the blemishes from other sources, such as my own stupidity of dragging a ladder across a door handle, dropping a heavy object on a fender, light hail damage, backing into a low curb and scratching lower cowling, etc...

I sure as heck don't see any door dings and my last vision check was 20/20.