TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How (and when) does AutoPilot data get uploaded?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by OConnorStP, Nov 7, 2015.

1. OConnorStP

OConnorStP Member

Hello from cell-phone hell. I'm curious -- does autopilot data get uploaded in real time, or does it wait until back at the ranch when it can use WiFi? I'm hoping the latter.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

I don't think any of us know for sure. Most of what I hear on the forum is speculation.

3. jpet

jpet Jan P.

When autopilot was announced (launched), Elon answered some questions and one of those was what happens if the car does not have a live Internet connection. He explained that in that case the data is buffered until the connection is reestablished. This way the system can also capture detailed info on roads/areas with poor Internet coverage. So based on this answer, I assume autopilot data is being sent to the mothership continuously.

After I upgraded to V7, I also had the impression that the bandwidth of the connection improved. In areas where I always had problems listening to streaming audio, there are much less interruptions compared to V6.2.