TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How and where to pull plug / power to the VMS?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by wiztecy, Sep 27, 2014.

1. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#1 wiztecy, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    How and where to pull plug / power to the VMS?

Now thinking about it, its the VMS not VDS I need to reboot.

**Moderators, please update the title to reflect "VMS" not "VDS".

Need to reboot the VMS computer on my 1.5 by pulling the power to it (harness connector) since my USB stick fails to be recognized. Getting an error USB stick failure on all the sticks I used in the past.

When I took it into Tesla they rebooted it without me there. I asked how its done and they pointed to the center console (in front of the usb plug) that there's a connection there on the top that's pulled to power cycle the VMS. I took the sides/front off that console, two plugs are there, however the module they plug into is clearly labeled as the HVAC module, not the VMS.

Any clue where the VMS box is or how I can pull power from it?

Thanks!

Link to pics of what the VMS looks like:

FS: tesla roadster 2.0 canadian VMS computer - SOLD

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, found it... its directly above where the passenger foot well is.

I pulled the black plug out first, then the blue plug. waited 10+ seconds, put the blue plug back in followed by the black. Note you'll be locked out of your car while the VMS reboots so be patient. I went inside the house, got my keys, hit the lock/unlock button and by that time the VMS was fully up and running. Then placed the USB stick in which is now recognized, and the VMS is successfully dumping the log file.

b822f64f-b089-4541-a80f-8d7f31ec73642.JPG

• Like x 1
  2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

One comment: take care with those plugs. Tesla use a special tool to unplug the connectors, to avoid breaking them.

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Good point Mark, I was very gentle and didn't want to stress it. There's a tab towards the VMS box of the connector that you lift gently up on which unlocks the plug. Then gently pull back on it. There's a waterproof seal on it. Be sure that when you re-insert the plugs that they fully "click" in place. You don't want these plugs to wiggle out on you while driving!

4. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

The AMPSEAL 23 connectors on the VMS are actually pretty robustly made. As long as you actually make sure the lock disengages before pulling on it, I doubt you'll damage them.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Thank you for posting the clear details!

6. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Also you can reset it by disconnect the 12v battery and then pull the ESS service disconnect.
    I have a spare VMS I wonder if I should do a teardown.

7. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

#7 Panicopticon, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    I have one that I've torn down. I can post some pictures and a rough BOM if people are interested...

http://goo.gl/rkfmUz

8. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

THANKS guys you saved my day!!! Have my tri annual inspection tomorrow morning and wanted to get everything ready....... No connection error!! Called TESLA night service and they were like no clue...... Almost gave up and then I figured it's got to be on here somewhere........ Read these posts and voila! She is up and running and ready for the inspection in the morning!!

Thanks again

9. simonog

simonog Member

Where is the ESS disconnect please?

10. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The ESS disconnect is challenging to get to behind the drivers seat. I have to remove the rear wheel and the inner fender to reach it and even then it is not easy. It is bright orange and it has an arm you pull up to then pull the plug out.

11. Vip

Vip Member

I just got the connection error yesterday. Waiting for Tesla to call me back. But reading here about the VMS reboot. Do I need a UBS stick for dumping logs?

12. MileHighMotoring

Yes, you do.

How to download the log file to a USB flash drive:

• Use a USB flash drive that is 4GB or smaller.
    • Ensure the key is turned OFF and the vehicle is not charging.
    • Create a top-level folder on the flash drive called "VehicleLogs" (case-sensitive). This naming convention is very important.
    • Insert the flash drive into the vehicle's USB port (on the center console). The Touch Screen displays an alert asking you not to remove the memory stick and providing status of the transfer. If the Touch Screen goes to "sleep," tap the screen to "wake it up." The process takes from 10-15 minutes.
    • When the alert is no longer displayed, remove the flash drive.
    The log file will be located on your flash drive in VehicleLogs/VIN/YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.tar (where VIN is your Vehicle Identifi cation Number).​

13. Vip

Vip Member

Love this forum!!! So much helpful information. Saved me from getting my roadster towed to the service center!!!
    Thanks everyone!