Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are CDN/US vehicles different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are some of the differences? (I can only think of daytime headlights) And does Tesla implement those changes in the factory or are those changes made at the Canadian service centers before delivered to the new owners?

Lastly, how long does it usually take to go from "production complete" status to delivered to the new owner?
Thanks a bunch!

Legal requirements:

Daytime running lights are locked on (firmware).

All placards have to be in French and English.

Seat belt buckles are red.

Immobilizer is mandatory (all Model S have this - the fob is required to start the car) but also must meet stringent rules for how it is implemented. My understanding is that Canadian cars have a more sophisticated (and presumably more expensive) key fob interface as a result.

Others:

Canadian Model S are roaming on an AT&T 3G connection, so no real difference there.

I don't know if they're still doing this, but the dashboards for all Canadian cars were being swapped for the one that is now in the cold weather package. This was done in the service center. Now that the cold weather package is an option, I am not certain whether this is still being done... but it probably is because the original vents are pathetic.

What are some of the differences? (I can only think of daytime headlights) And does Tesla implement those changes in the factory or are those changes made at the Canadian service centers before delivered to the new owners?

Whatever differences there are, they are definitely taken care of at the factory, not the service centre. I recall the first batch of Canada-destined cars being completely separate; there were photos of this at the factory.

Take a look at http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/motorvehiclesafety/vafus.pdf

Search for "Tesla", and you'll see this on page 17:

"Note-2: Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S.Model S vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details."

according to Tesla, so much is different that they couldn't possibly make an American car safe enough to pass Canadian safety standards. ..

I call BS, and am sick of car manufacturers pulling that protectionist garbage. Funnily enough the roadster was the same way, until they stopped making new ones, and then suddenly the old ones were now safe to import. Just more proof that it's protectionism and not safety.

I don't know if they're still doing this, but the dashboards for all Canadian cars were being swapped for the one that is now in the cold weather package. This was done in the service center. Now that the cold weather package is an option, I am not certain whether this is still being done... but it probably is because the original vents are pathetic.

Hadn't heard of this one. Mine is a very early Production model (just after the Sigs) and no mention was ever made of mine needing replacement. And I wasn't even aware that Cold Weather Package had a different dash. What if you live in a cold climate but don't opt for the Package?

One other difference is the Canadian cars are more expensive. They don't qualify for duty-free import under NAFTA because of the value of the Japanese cells in the battery pack.

- - - Updated - - -

according to Tesla, so much is different that they couldn't possibly make an American car safe enough to pass Canadian safety standards. ..

I call BS...

Me too. The safest car ever tested by the NHTSA can't make the cut in Canada?!? I know that Canada didn't relax the 5 MPH bumper requirements like they did in the US, but most cars made for the North American market have bumpers that comply in both Canada and the US anyway... and that is more of a cosmetic/repair cost issue than a safety issue.

Hadn't heard of this one. Mine is a very early Production model (just after the Sigs) and no mention was ever made of mine needing replacement. And I wasn't even aware that Cold Weather Package had a different dash. What if you live in a cold climate but don't opt for the Package?

Does your car have visible vents in the dashboard? Cars made for warmer states don't have that; they just have a fine array of holes all across the dashboard. None of the cars had the directed plastic vents at first. Mine didn't, and the performance of the defogger was beyond pathetic. The driver's side of the windshield would fog over in cold weather, even with the fan on max. The side window would completely frost over with thick frost. I had to stop and buy an ice scraper on a road trip so I could see where I was going. If I wanted to use the side rear view mirror I had to scrape the window every 5 minutes.

IMG_1561.JPG

Before

IMG_1560.JPG

After

About two months after I got the car, Tesla replaced my dashboard with one that had directed vents. Then it became a non-issue; the defrost performance was adequate.

One other difference is the Canadian cars are more expensive. They don't qualify for duty-free import under NAFTA because of the value of the Japanese cells in the battery pack.

Gigafactory will fix that in due course.

there are a myriad of regulatory differences, they have been lobbied for HARD by the existing large automakers. They claim to be for safety, however in reality they are 100% about protectionism with not even an afterthought to safety, unfortunately because they are "safety rules" you can't fight them the way you can protectionism, it's quite frustrating.

That said, here is a list of the things that COULD be different on the two models that would actually be an issue at the border:
- Daytime running lights, this is obviously just a matter of loading the right software, shouldn't be a problem, can also be done aftermarket very easily, even on a Tesla.
- 5mph bumpers, I find it highly unlikely that Tesla is making a different bumper for the USA vs Canada, but even if they are, swapping bumpers is not impossible
- immobilizer, Both the USA and Canada require them, however the Canadian one must arm a few seconds quicker than the american one. I bet that the same software update that would fix the DRL would fix this.
- child seat anchors (yes, even if you don't have kids), Canada requires stronger child seat anchors (ridiculous really, as the force required to break an american one would already turn your baby to soup, so I don't see what making them stronger helps) Again, I find it unlikely that the Canadian and American vehicles have different ones, however aftermarket ones are easy to come by.

There are other regulatory differences (like the colour of seat belt buckles) but those are not checked at import and would not cause a problem.

- 5mph bumpers, I find it highly unlikely that Tesla is making a different bumper for the USA vs Canada, but even if they are, swapping bumpers is not impossible

From what I understand, this is the one area where Canadian requirements affect the design of cars worldwide. If you want to sell the same model globally it's one of the things you have to deal with.

- immobilizer, Both the USA and Canada require them, however the Canadian one must arm a few seconds quicker than the american one. I bet that the same software update that would fix the DRL would fix this.

Actually the main difference is a more secure protocol. Implementing this requires a different fob. Since most automakers use an off-the-shelf receiver module, and Tesla is probably no exception, this may actually be a hardware difference in the car. Certainly that is the case for Roadster; the US and Canadian cars have a different fob receiver module.

You forgot the biggest difference: The requirement for bilingual safety labels.
That is true for new cars, but not for importing, hence I didn't mention it. This isn't checked at the border, and is not required for vehicle importation.

Actually the main difference is a more secure protocol. Implementing this requires a different fob. Since most automakers use an off-the-shelf receiver module, and Tesla is probably no exception, this may actually be a hardware difference in the car. Certainly that is the case for Roadster; the US and Canadian cars have a different fob receiver module.
And yet the roadster can be imported legally in to Canada while the Model S can not. Interestingly Tesla only "figured out how" to import Roadsters AFTER they stopped selling them brand new, how convenient.

Auto manufacturers bought and paid for these differences to try to limit cross border shopping. I'm very disappointed in Tesla that they play all the same old games that the other manufacturers do in this regard.

You're telling me that they're willing to dedicate their manpower to allowing imports of the roadster, but not the Model S? Seems more likely that they no longer see the Roadster as a threat to new sales as they don't offer it any more, but still see used Model S as potentially canabalizing new sales so are blocking it.

I bet the only difference between the two is software, and protectionism.