TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How are Dynamic Turning Lights supposed to work anyway?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by John41, Oct 9, 2017.

1. John41

John41 New Member

So I picked up my model S without PUP in Fremont end of September. As with other cars built around that time, it didn't have the dynamic headlights. I asked about it and they immediately offered to give me a due bill for it. I took it to the San Francisco service center for a wind noise issue on Wednesday, and asked them to change the headlights at the same time.

Today, I pick up the car. It obviously has the adaptive LED headlights, but I haven't been able to get them to turn on so far. They are enabled in the settings, but they do not light up when I turn the wheel (neither does the fog lights). Are they supposed to work while the car is on, but not moving? With or without the high beams?

SW is 2017.38.4

2. Shateam

Shateam Member

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If you try them out on a road lit with streetlights you may not notice them. I don't. Find a road with no lights. No need to be moving, just park and turn the wheel and you should see how they work.

4. Tommy Bahama

Tommy Bahama Member

I recall reading somewhere that the car must be in drive for them to work. Maybe try having someone hold the brakes and turn the wheel while you inspect from the outside.

5. XP90D

XP90D Member

An easy way to observe the lights is with summons. The lights turn on when the wheel moves. You an stand in front of the car and watch.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Ummm...the turning lights won't come on until the steering wheel has moved quite a bit, like more than half a rotation. During Summon operation the car won't turn that much, in my experience.

Are you saying that when you are using Summon on your car you have seen the turning lights come on?

7. Spidy

Spidy Active Member