Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are insurance companies at handling claims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand Aviva handles Tesla's insurance and I imagine they are used to handling claims.

I am curious about a normal insurance company like TD. Normally they would want to do the repair in their affiliated shop. Do these shops know how to work on a Tesla? Does Tesla do repairs? I just don't know how comfortable I feel with some average body shop guy working on my completely different car.

Depends on what's wrong and the insurance company. They always have their recommended shops, but you can always take where you want too and it's covered either way. Paint and body work doesn't really need someone thats on Tesla's approved list.

Usually they recommend one particular place. But they also have a list of other approved places. My preferred shop was on their list but I had to confirm and change with them each time. Their recommended places are hack job shops. Additionally if you go with their approved shop they give you lifetime warranty on the repair. If you take elsewhere there is no warranty.

I just went through a claim with TD, it was much like any other claim. They pushed for me to use their recommended body shops, but I chose one of Tesla's approved ones which had been recommended here a few times. They did the claim estimate with photos rather than in person, and their estimate matched a rough estimate I'd been given from the body shop, so it was all fairly painless. TD said it would take 9 days but the body shop finished it in 4.