Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are LFP batteries holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
LFP batteries have been around now for about 9 months and I was wondering how they are holding up in terms of degradation.

So do you have a SR+ with LFP batteries? Do you use TeslaFi? If so, can you post a PDF of the battery degradation chart?

As an example, I have posted a PDF of mine. However it uses NCA batteries. According to the chart it has lost 9% in 12 months. It will be interesting to compare this with LFP to see if there is a major difference...

Attachments

• battery_test.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 437
Solution
Well I went for a 160 mile drive yesterday, as the weather was sooo nice...
I travelled 75 miles along straight A roads (Foss Way, etc) at just around speed limits and returned using the motorway (M42 & M5) for 96 miles at ~75 mph. According to the car, it's consumption was 241 wh/mile and in total used 80% of battery. Therefore 75+96=171 miles / 80% gives 213 mile real world range!

Whilst travelling back along the M42, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the car can charge using the supper chargers (better to find out now when I have enough juice) so stopped at Hopwod Park. On arrival the car was at 50% SoC and it took 12 mins to charge to 80%. It started with taking 125kW and ended taking 69kW, so not too shabby. Not bad...
It's early days, but no signs degradation from my LFP batteries, compared to NCA batteries of my first SR+ that took a steep drop from ~240 down to 235 at the same mileage.

LFP.jpg

It seems that LFP batteries are starting to become the technology of choice for "base" vehicles due to robustness and safety...

Reactions: Baluchi
Upvote 1
Worth noting that the TeslaFi reports and other similar extrapolations are what the BMS thinks may be the range but, being a non exact science, may be well out from the reality of the battery condition itself.

We recently had our BMS CAC (calculated amp hour capacity) reset as that value can drift widely off by many % and we got our full range back according to TeslaFi battery report and extrapolating %/mileage on display. We have been told to monitor in case of a more serious issue (I would like to think that Tesla tested things before the reset) but, tbh, whilst its nice to see the range back at more respectable levels, the only way to really know is to see how it performs over several long drives.

Without putting numbers on things, here is ours... where the CAC was reset is obvious.
1631802678958.png

Upvote 0
I wouldn't read too much into these graphs, it's basically extrapolating what the BMS thinks if the charge ends a that percentage. The BMS will happily reconsider as it actually gets to 100%, and particularly if you often charge to 80% without the car going to sleep (i.e. sentry) then it's had very few points to consider.

Upvote 0
Worth noting that the TeslaFi reports and other similar extrapolations are what the BMS thinks may be the range but, being a non exact science, may be well out from the reality of the battery condition itself.

We recently had our BMS CAC (calculated amp hour capacity) reset as that value can drift widely off by many % and we got our full range back according to TeslaFi battery report and extrapolating %/mileage on display. We have been told to monitor in case of a more serious issue (I would like to think that Tesla tested things before the reset) but, tbh, whilst its nice to see the range back at more respectable levels, the only way to really know is to see how it performs over several long drives.

Without putting numbers on things, here is ours... where the CAC was reset is obvious.
View attachment 710057
What sort of % reduction did you need to qualify for a CAC reset?

Upvote 0
What sort of % reduction did you need to qualify for a CAC reset?

It was an add on item to an existing service request otherwise I would not have bothered. I just put that I thought that the 100% range should have been higher than it was (sorry to be coy about the real numbers because they are largely meaningless best guess numbers with a large % for error but I will say that if they were real I would be a bit pissed off) and left it to them. I was aware that BMS can drift wildly and was probably more calibration rather than anything physical, but I had two noticeable sudden drops in the past and wanted to them to check that they were not caused by a partial failure. I then left it up to them. It was listed on the invoice as remote diagnostics so probably nothing to do with the actual visit to the service centre. Its now a matter of monitoring over time - far too early to draw any conclusions but at least the concern is in their system.

Reactions: AndrewGR
Upvote 0
It was an add on item to an existing service request otherwise I would not have bothered. I just put that I thought that the 100% range should have been higher than it was (sorry to be coy about the real numbers because they are largely meaningless best guess numbers with a large % for error but I will say that if they were real I would be a bit pissed off) and left it to them. I was aware that BMS can drift wildly and was probably more calibration rather than anything physical, but I had two noticeable sudden drops in the past and wanted to them to check that they were not caused by a partial failure. I then left it up to them. It was listed on the invoice as remote diagnostics so probably nothing to do with the actual visit to the service centre. Its now a matter of monitoring over time - far too early to draw any conclusions but at least the concern is in their system.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
According to Bjorn, the initial Tesla LFP charge times were "not so good"
Well Bjorn's video shows the LFP was fastest to 100%. Anyway, I don't road trip every day so even if it is slower that might be an advantage because most time's the car is ready at a SuC before I've been to the loo and got some refreshments...

PS I pick my LFP car up tomorrow and will report back as we go into winter and get some cold weather...

PPS no one on this forum with LPF battery, got a TeslaFi battery report that they can share?

Reactions: Magstauk
Upvote 0
Well Bjorn's video shows the LFP was fastest to 100%.
It is fastest to 100% if the battery is warm. But the question was about charging when it's cold.
Initially LFP charged slower in cold weather but Bjorn said Tesla fixed that, probably with a software update to heat the battery.

The real question in my mind is cold weather range when you first start the car in the morning(cold battery). According to the data I've seen, LFP looses much more range than NCA is cold weather unless the battery is heated. I'm wondering if Tesla has fixed that as well. Let us know!

• Informative
Reactions: cdswm3
Upvote 0