Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are LFP batteries holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
LFP batteries have been around now for about 9 months and I was wondering how they are holding up in terms of degradation.

So do you have a SR+ with LFP batteries? Do you use TeslaFi? If so, can you post a PDF of the battery degradation chart?

As an example, I have posted a PDF of mine. However it uses NCA batteries. According to the chart it has lost 9% in 12 months. It will be interesting to compare this with LFP to see if there is a major difference...

Attachments

• battery_test.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 437
Solution
Well I went for a 160 mile drive yesterday, as the weather was sooo nice...
I travelled 75 miles along straight A roads (Foss Way, etc) at just around speed limits and returned using the motorway (M42 & M5) for 96 miles at ~75 mph. According to the car, it's consumption was 241 wh/mile and in total used 80% of battery. Therefore 75+96=171 miles / 80% gives 213 mile real world range!

Whilst travelling back along the M42, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the car can charge using the supper chargers (better to find out now when I have enough juice) so stopped at Hopwod Park. On arrival the car was at 50% SoC and it took 12 mins to charge to 80%. It started with taking 125kW and ended taking 69kW, so not too shabby. Not bad...
I think it is more of horses for the courses than just comparing acceleration/charging speed/ and not able to charge 100%.

We don’t lug around with 2 Jerry can full of petrol when using an ICE car even if you are travelling in a small car across the country. I understand the increased availability of petrol/diesel compared to chargers etc.,

Sometimes I have regretted not buying a LR but it is only when I go to Cornwall. With SR+ I have to stop twice for charging before reaching my destination with LR I am sure I don’t have to do that. But still I may have to stop twice for comfort breaks. So for me it doesn’t make much difference except some peace of mind when doing long trips. For others may be bit different.

Upvote 0
I think it is more of horses for the courses than just comparing acceleration/charging speed/ and not able to charge 100%.

We don’t lug around with 2 Jerry can full of petrol when using an ICE car even if you are travelling in a small car across the country. I understand the increased availability of petrol/diesel compared to chargers etc.,

Sometimes I have regretted not buying a LR but it is only when I go to Cornwall. With SR+ I have to stop twice for charging before reaching my destination with LR I am sure I don’t have to do that. But still I may have to stop twice for comfort breaks. So for me it doesn’t make much difference except some peace of mind when doing long trips. For others may be bit different.
And also I don’t mind stopping at Amesbury, Lifton or Exeter. I am sure we have someone from Amesbury in the forum, if they put pressure on that petrol station to fix their loo that will be great. But I love the little Arundale cafe/pub in Lifton, So 2 stops are welcome. It is SR or the current RWD for me.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Upvote 0

My other half wants to stop every hour, so the car never needs to be plugged in for long lol

Upvote 0