Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are LFP batteries holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
LFP batteries have been around now for about 9 months and I was wondering how they are holding up in terms of degradation.

So do you have a SR+ with LFP batteries? Do you use TeslaFi? If so, can you post a PDF of the battery degradation chart?

As an example, I have posted a PDF of mine. However it uses NCA batteries. According to the chart it has lost 9% in 12 months. It will be interesting to compare this with LFP to see if there is a major difference...

Attachments

• battery_test.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 434
Solution
Well I went for a 160 mile drive yesterday, as the weather was sooo nice...
I travelled 75 miles along straight A roads (Foss Way, etc) at just around speed limits and returned using the motorway (M42 & M5) for 96 miles at ~75 mph. According to the car, it's consumption was 241 wh/mile and in total used 80% of battery. Therefore 75+96=171 miles / 80% gives 213 mile real world range!

Whilst travelling back along the M42, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the car can charge using the supper chargers (better to find out now when I have enough juice) so stopped at Hopwod Park. On arrival the car was at 50% SoC and it took 12 mins to charge to 80%. It started with taking 125kW and ended taking 69kW, so not too shabby. Not bad...
Well Bjorn's video shows the LFP was fastest to 100%. Anyway, I don't road trip every day so even if it is slower that might be an advantage because most time's the car is ready at a SuC before I've been to the loo and got some refreshments...

PS I pick my LFP car up tomorrow and will report back as we go into winter and get some cold weather...

PPS no one on this forum with LPF battery, got a TeslaFi battery report that they can share?
I have an LFP battery car but no TeslaFi, easy to sign up and use?

Upvote 0
Thank you. I’ve done it :)
Will figure out how it works lol
Won't really help you in the short term as it can't retrospectively go back and look at what your capacity was to see how its changed. It can plot your car against others but to be honest its largely bunkum anyway as the BMS drifts and requires recalibration and half the variability seems to be that and not the car actually losing capacity.

Back to the LFP battery in general, just like the issue with the performance battery, it was/is linked to the cold weather and until it gets cold we won't really know how its doing.

Reactions: Magstauk
Upvote 0
Won't really help you in the short term as it can't retrospectively go back and look at what your capacity was to see how its changed. It can plot your car against others but to be honest its largely bunkum anyway as the BMS drifts and requires recalibration and half the variability seems to be that and not the car actually losing capacity.

Back to the LFP battery in general, just like the issue with the performance battery, it was/is linked to the cold weather and until it gets cold we won't really know how its doing.
Thanks for that, I only got the car on saturday so over the long term i'll be able to see how it's changed.
I've just had a tinker about with it all today. The data that it logs is unreal!!
Any tips and tricks that seasoned users of TeslaFi can give me?

Upvote 0
I’m currently deciding on a LR or a SR+. The car I have currently is an i3s. Living in Scotland, well Glasgow at any rate Public charge points are mostly free.

I have a 7kw charge point at home. Mostly I just nip round to my local 50kw charger and say once a week take it to 85-95%. I don’t do long miles, for the longer journeys with dogs I’ve got an oil burning 4x4.

If I go for a Tesla LR with my current usage pattern would it give me battery problems down the line? Or am I better off just going SR+ I don’t really need the extra miles (though it’d be welcomed) I don’t really need the performance but although I can afford it I do not want get an LR if it’s going to require any significant change in usage and charge management.

thoughts?

Upvote 0
^^^ thanks for the reply yea pretty much that’s my thinking. Is it just the SR+’s that are China made these days? Think I might press the button on the M3LR, I might get regret if I don’t. That said the SR+ is really all I need. 98% of the longer journeys I’ll do I’d need to take my dogs and the Mrs (in that order) so for those trips away I think we’d still use the oil burner. I like the idea that the LFP cells don’t mind being regularly charged to 100% though.

Upvote 0
^^^ thanks for the reply yea pretty much that’s my thinking. Is it just the SR+’s that are China made these days? Think I might press the button on the M3LR, I might get regret if I don’t. That said the SR+ is really all I need. 98% of the longer journeys I’ll do I’d need to take my dogs and the Mrs (in that order) so for those trips away I think we’d still use the oil burner. I like the idea that the LFP cells don’t mind being regularly charged to 100% though.
All UK model 3 come from China although that may change when Berlin comes online

Reactions: Katic1972
Upvote 0
So far loving my new SR+So much more quiet than the MIU and seems more efficient too!
First results using "Scan My Tesla" shows the battery to be 55.2 kWh and it has an energy buffer of 2.5 kWh, so 52.7kWh is available. Running at 200 wh/m (~60 mph) will give a 263 mile range!

Screenshot_20211003-115031.jpg

Also charging to 100%, using a 7 kW charger, does show a tail-off as it approaches 100%. This has a slight impact when charging on Octopus GO. For example my old MIU NCA battery SR+ would charge (20% to 80%) ~60% in 4 hours, whereas I think this MIC LFP may only charge (40% to 100%) ~50% in 4 hours.
Of course, if I was to reduce the charge level (20% to 80%) it will probably take ~4 hrs.
2021-10-04 19_19_36-Clipboard.jpg

Stay tuned as there is more to follow, as we get into winter mode...

Upvote 0
So far loving my new SR+So much more quiet than the MIU and seems more efficient too!
First results using "Scan My Tesla" shows the battery to be 55.2 kWh and it has an energy buffer of 2.5 kWh, so 52.7kWh is available. Running at 200 wh/m (~60 mph) will give a 263 mile range!

View attachment 717797
Also charging to 100%, using a 7 kW charger, does show a tail-off as it approaches 100%. This has a slight impact when charging on Octopus GO. For example my old MIU NCA battery SR+ would charge (20% to 80%) ~60% in 4 hours, whereas I think this MIC LFP may only charge (40% to 100%) ~50% in 4 hours.
Of course, if I was to reduce the charge level (20% to 80%) it will probably take ~4 hrs.
View attachment 717800

Stay tuned as there is more to follow, as we get into winter mode...
Will be watching this space, i have the same car as you :)

Upvote 0
Well I went for a 160 mile drive yesterday, as the weather was sooo nice...
I travelled 75 miles along straight A roads (Foss Way, etc) at just around speed limits and returned using the motorway (M42 & M5) for 96 miles at ~75 mph. According to the car, it's consumption was 241 wh/mile and in total used 80% of battery. Therefore 75+96=171 miles / 80% gives 213 mile real world range!

Whilst travelling back along the M42, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the car can charge using the supper chargers (better to find out now when I have enough juice) so stopped at Hopwod Park. On arrival the car was at 50% SoC and it took 12 mins to charge to 80%. It started with taking 125kW and ended taking 69kW, so not too shabby. Not bad, as I only preconditioned for about 5 mins... and outside temperature was 16C.

Also charging to 100%, using a 7 kW charger, does show a tail-off as it approaches 100%.
It turns out, I was wrong about the longer charge time being cause by the slow ramp to 100%. In fact, the main reason is the battery is much bigger and that's why it takes longer to charge. It was 60% for 4 hours in the old car and now 50% in 4 hours in the new car.
Looking at the charging data from my old SR+ I found the battery to be only ~47kWh (after 1 year) compared to the new SR+ that has 55.2 kWh. So far I'm impressed with the car, but it's early days so let's see what the cold weather brings...

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and Simonix
Upvote 0
Solution
I've only got about 2000 miles on my SR+ with an LFP battery. But yesterday after my normal 112 mile commute (mix of highway, freeway, and a bit of in-town driving), I averaged 193 wh/mile. I use the Tessie app--I don't think it shows the battery buffer, but it does say I have 54.5 kwh battery capacity. So assuming a 2.5 kwh buffer, I'm looking at:

54,500 watt hours - 2,500 buffer = 52,000 watt hour usable battery.
52,000 / 193 watt hour per mile commute = 269 mile real-world range if I were just driving back-and-forth to work. Pretty good.

Notably my average over the short life of the car is 208 wh/mile, which would equate to a real-world range of 250 miles. Still not too shabby. But I haven't taken it through a winter yet, so I'm sure that's going to hurt my average efficiency in the next few months.

When I charge to 100%, it tells me 253 miles. I guess I haven't gotten the software update that's supposed to increase that to 262.

Upvote 0
It's early days, but no signs degradation from my LFP batteries, compared to NCA batteries of my first SR+ that took a steep drop from ~240 down to 235 at the same mileage.

LFP.jpg

It seems that LFP batteries are starting to become the technology of choice for "base" vehicles due to robustness and safety...

Reactions: Baluchi
Upvote 1
I like the idea of being able to charge to 100% with impunity. Kind of old ice thinking I suppose but the ocd in me doesn’t like a partial charge somehow. Decided to shift my i3s before I buy my tesla (so previous ownership doesn’t impact my Est grant application) and still swithering over SR+ (LFP) or LR somehow I prefer the LFP because the tech can handle been mistreated (or so it would seem).

Upvote 0
Just been looking thru the TeslaFi leader board and found three MIC SR+ LFP cars near the top;
  • jock at 4,700 miles and 99.45% range difference to when new
  • mjarchive at 2,000 miles and 100.19% range difference when to new
  • carjessu at 12,500 miles and 99.23% range difference when to new

So far, LFP batteries seem to suffer much less when it comes to degradation and compared to my old SR+ that had degraded by ~8% in 14,700 miles! Also it's been great charging up to 100% as I have an additional 50 miles in my tank at the start of each day for those impromptu trips...

Upvote 0