Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are Model S/X shipped to UK?

Tonybvi

Jul 28, 2019
NE Scotland
Before the advent of the M3 in the UK the MS/X were built in Fremont then partially dismantled for shipping in containers to Tilburg where they were reassembled for onward transportation to UK, presumably for import tax reasons. Now that the M3’s are shipped from the States ready built to the UK are the S/X still containerised or do they also come ready built from Fremont?

Cowpring

Aug 14, 2019
London, UK
I think they are already built and driven onto the ships like the Model 3s now.

Check out these photos from earlier this year, you can see some Model X:

SF-Pier_80_07-02-2019.jpg

SF-Pier_80_07-02-2019_3.jpg

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
I think they are already built and driven onto the ships like the Model 3s now.

Often when there are reports of loading at Pier 80 onlookers say they can see Model S and X as well as 3.

I think it makes sense for the past few quarters where deliveries have been strained but perhaps in the future if it still saves them money they will start doing it again but more GFs will reduce this need anyway.

LukeT

Apr 9, 2019
UK
From the conversations I had at the time with UK delivery people I think my S came the old way (delivered August) but I can't say that with 100% certainty.

DJP31

Aug 30, 2015
UK
And why were S/X shipped partly assembled? Was it to save transport costs as you could fit 2 or 3 in one container or was it for import tax reasons?

Import tax less on "parts". I'm still of the opinion S & X come via the Tilburg route as they always have.

Tonybvi

Jul 28, 2019
NE Scotland
I think I can answer my own question now! Just received an email telling me my X is “currently getting ready to make its way over to us here in the UK, we therefore have a collection date of Saturday 26th October .....”
Given the timing of the Grand Dahlia this would not be possible if the car was arriving by ship. Therefore it must have come over containerised for reassembly in Tilburg.
Tony

DJP31

Aug 30, 2015
UK
I think I can answer my own question now! Just received an email telling me my X is “currently getting ready to make its way over to us here in the UK, we therefore have a collection date of Saturday 26th October .....”
Given the timing of the Grand Dahlia this would not be possible if the car was arriving by ship. Therefore it must have come over containerised for reassembly in Tilburg.
Tony

Hope it goes well and don’t forget to post a pic - or it didn’t happen ;)

Reactions: Tonybvi

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
we therefore have a collection date of Saturday 26th October .....”

They used to ship them in containers from a Gulf port (Houston area I think) and then as already described reassemble them in Tilburg. What's troubling me is the transit time from Houston, reassembly in NL and then delivery to UK would mean it would have to be on a ship already. I therefore doubt it is coming that route.
I strongly suspect that your car is fully assembled and is on the Grand Dahlia which arrives in Zeebrugge on 25 Oct. Your car would then be loaded onto another ship heading for Grimsby
A delivery on late Saturday afternoon isn't totally out of the question, even to Edinburgh, but ......

DJP31

Aug 30, 2015
UK
What's troubling me is the transit time from Houston, reassembly in NL and then delivery to UK would mean it would have to be on a ship already. I therefore doubt it is coming that route.

I think the message means it’s ready to leave Tilburg. Admittedly a while back but the delivery date would only be confirmed once the car was on the way from or just about to leave Tilburg.

The transit route from Fremont to Tilburg and then the UK has been in operation for years, and whilst slow it is reliable. It also saves import duty which Tesla are obviously happy to swallow on the cheaper M3

I don’t see Tesla messing around with this process for the S & X - but then again they aren’t the most logical of operations half the time. o_O

Tonybvi

Jul 28, 2019
NE Scotland
They used to ship them in containers from a Gulf port (Houston area I think) and then as already described reassemble them in Tilburg. What's troubling me is the transit time from Houston, reassembly in NL and then delivery to UK would mean it would have to be on a ship already. I therefore doubt it is coming that route.
I strongly suspect that your car is fully assembled and is on the Grand Dahlia which arrives in Zeebrugge on 25 Oct. Your car would then be loaded onto another ship heading for Grimsby
A delivery on late Saturday afternoon isn't totally out of the question, even to Edinburgh, but ......

The delivery is scheduled for Saturday morning - if they stick to that then the car can’t be on the Dahlia. I’m certain they’re still using the Tilburg reassembly plant.

Solvipants

Feb 22, 2020
uk
How long does it usually take to get the car to Tilburg and then to UK?
I know the ship my MX was on docked yesterday.
My delivery date isn't showing up yet, but I have been told early March.

Rdt123

Feb 17, 2020
Billingham
How long does it usually take to get the car to Tilburg and then to UK?
I know the ship my MX was on docked yesterday.
My delivery date isn't showing up yet, but I have been told early March.
By container ship? Meaning that’s still the route , when did you order mate? , wondering when mine will show

Solvipants

Feb 22, 2020
uk
By container ship? Meaning that’s still the route , when did you order mate? , wondering when mine will show

I ordered on 3rd Feb.
Was told by email when I enquired what my VIN is and which ship I was on.
No information since then though.
Last I was told is 20th March, or sometime that week.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC